Mercedes benz '' HIGHWAY CRUISER''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercedes benz '' HIGHWAY CRUISER''

pull the yellow pin out (well he was yellow,long time ago)
    and the plate for all the connections for air and light ,7 infact.

1 for anti blocking system
    1 for grease
    1 for lights
    1 for extra lights,(the newer chassis have now 1 big plug that combint those 2)
    1 for air supply
    1 for air command
    1 for air supply that returns to the front part for the airsuspention,without this one the frontpart axle won't get under pressure,and won't do anything then

the 2 plug you see are for when i go with the front part over the roads, i have to plug them in for the lights in the bumper

al the connection are made,exept the air supply,if i place that one, the axle will be lifted ,and i can't go further.the friction will be to big to close the chassis.

best regards Thijs

Comment

air supply is connected,pump air over (it's a 8 years old chassis,so there are qiute some air leaks,got him new,a few weeks before i got my DAF ,which can be seen in post 1.) to the rear part.

close the doors.

did you remember the licensce plate?
      best regards Thijs

Comment

freightletters are signed, axles are lifted,ready to cruise again.

when the truck is loaded i can drive at al 7 axles,from those 7 there are 4 steered
        axle 1,2,4 and 7
        when i am unloaded i drive at 4 axles 1,3,6 and 7,without containers just on 3 axles 1,3,and 6 ,those 3 are the only one's that can't be lifted

when a company have more of these chassis,he can swith them,but it's not allowed.
        the rear part may only connected on that part what stand on the licensce papers
        Last edited by janihudi; August 13th, 2011, 17:31.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks a lot, this was very interesting. Specially the explanation of the trailer, now I've learned a lot.
              /Tommi

Comment

you're welcome,there are btw several types of those trailers.
                before this one i had a 5axle trailer,2 axles at the front part.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Hey, Janihudi. This was a great explanation!! This is a quite clever construction, but so complicated, that German authorities will neyer allow it here!!
                  The interior of the MB looks quite similar to your Opel, so MB changed the design a lot - in my opinion!!
                  For you it is a familiar look, for me - remembering the old design - strange...
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

there are german transporting companies who drives with them,even one that is a carter for us.
                    they had made a long time troubbles with it,that you have 2 license plates on a trailer,so i had to cover the frontpart when i go to germany.
                    now it's oke to drive without a cover.

the designer is a dutch guy,buyed away from DAF,he has drawn the new axtros aswel that weird looking unimog.
                    it is easier to drive 10 hours in a truck then 5 hours in a car.
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

I must be more sensitive, when watching ontainer trucks. I have never seen such a lay-out in Germany...
                      I always thought, seven axles are not allowed here...
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

the problem with this here is that germany just allowed 40 tons,while we here in holland have 50 tons limited.
                        looking at my truck,it's already weights 21 ton with 2 empty containers,so left just 19 ton for cargo.(for Germany,29 for Holland)
                        this concept will do for germany, if you load toiletpaper, chips and other leight stuff.
                        but you can also pick up 1 loaded and 1 empty container,unload the 19 tons with,who cares and load somewhere else 19 tons with currywurst or whatever back
                        but you may load as much as you want,until the police gets you,then you have a problem.
                        but there are also 8 axles trucks with this concept.
                        or how about this,we have here trucks,mosly dumpers with 5 axles and allowed total of 50 tons. (on the road,off road they load even more)
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

On the trip to Ely yesterday I was truck watching, something I always used to do on the B.u.n.g.a.y Soc. trips but simply because I liked to see from where they came, particularly if from overseas. But yesterday it was the axle configuration I was after, having got my head around most of your explanations on this thread. After you get west of Bury St. Edmunds on the A14 it's dual carriageway and then a long stretch of 3-lane highway till the A11(M11) (London bound) junction is reached, after which it reverts to dual. So that middle section is heavily trafficked. Plenty trucks including quite a few Mercs. Thijs, looking at your images of the models I think most of the larger trucks of all types were tractors with trailer as in at #42.2 Their axle configuration was mostly 1(cab), 2(1st container front) and 3(2nd container rear), sometimes 1-1-3 The three rear ones were close together without the space between the last two.
                          Any particular reason for that space in your Merc?
                          Also, you say that when there are no containers then you drive on only 1, 3 and 6. But that gives you no steered axle after the cab one. Doesn't that present problems on cornering?
                          Do I take it that the yellow pin when pushed home slots through the male connection part (BTW women say w..... )
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; August 26th, 2011, 13:30.
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

the most trucks in the Uk are 3 axle (first is steering ,second is the traction and the third is for the road taxes)
                            they told me in the 80ties that the more axles in the uk ,the less you pay for roadtax.
                            in those years i was driving with ferry trailers we may load a 23 ton netto for the uk,but only when we have a 3 axle trailer,while we were dooing it with a 2 axle truck.
                            that theird axle was just to bring the weight over more wheels on the road,so that the road won't damaged.
                            but we are placing that third axle infront of the traction axle (most of the trucks) and making it a steering axle the british made a liftaxle and place it as last axle.
                            +point is when you lift that last one you get a very short wheelbase,so sharp sterring,and that system is lighter then a steering axle
                            - point because it is not a steering axle a lot of friction on the tarmac

if there was a 1-1-3 truck,then they don't load have goods,patoto chips,toilet paper,and more of this light stuff.

the raison of the space between the last axles is of the steering axle.
                            when you turn the wheel the tyre heel on the outside is gooig to the front when turning in, while at the backside the inside heel is gooing furher back.

i don't think you understand this.
                            so try this at your car.

park your car with the wheel in the straight a head position,and see howmany space you have between the wheel and the car.(at the front side of the wheel)
                            now turn your wheel a about half way to the right a see howmany space there is now between the wheel and the car.
                            measure this at the heel ,there were the side of the tyre goos to the tread profile.
                            if you can't understand this ,tell me and i show it by images

about your steering quistion when driving on 1 -3 -6 there is no problem.
                            the cab is steering the rest is following,the trailer wil come inside the corner,but nothing to worry about.

yes the yellow pin goos through the whole pipe as seen in 45.1
                            in 45.2 you see the 2 holes were the pin can go in,these are the customs and 45 ft container locks,why 2??? don't know.
                            on 46.2 you see the hole for normal use the chassis stands now about that 45 ft size,al three holes can been seen on 43.2
                            and when he is on place about 5 cm is coming out of the chassis .
                            so gooing through the male and female parts,just like a big piercing.
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                              raison of the space between the last axles is of the steering axle.
                              when you turn the wheel the tyre heel on the outside is gooig to the front when turning in, while at the backside the inside heel is gooing furher back.

i don't think you understand this.
                              so try this at your car.

park your car with the wheel in the straight a head position,and see howmany space you have between the wheel and the car.(at the front side of the wheel)
                              now turn your wheel a about half way to the right a see howmany space there is now between the wheel and the car.
                              measure this at the heel ,there were the side of the tyre goos to the tread profile.
                              if you can't understand this ,tell me and i show it by images
                              you can forget this part,i was more refering to the space between tyre and mudflaps,i thought about this while gooing to bed.

the reason of the space between hose last 2 axles is for spreading the weight.
                              axles that stands further from each other may carry more loads then when they are close at eachother.
                              this is a law thing
                              but when they ar far from each other then they will get very diffecult around a corner,thatswhy mine chassis has a steering axle at the back,he steers the chassis to the outside corner,but i have just friction on 2 (axle 5 and6) 4 tyres while axle 4 is rolling to the inside corner,so these 2 axles helps rounding corners,but they are just following,i can't steer them manual.
                              i can block them,and the steering function will blocked automaticly when the gearbox shift in return.
                              another +point of this wide spread axles is that i don't need a second leg,as at the frontside,on the backside.
                              if the axle was further in front i needed a leg at the back so that when it's parked at a loading dock and a forklift go in that he won't tip over backwards
                              ,thats also the reason of the leg at the front,that he wont tip over at the front.

with the weight problems (every company won't to take more and more) we have Weighing loops,and there will be more and more of them.
                              it's just a sensor milled?? in the road and when you drive over them they meassure your;
                              weight at every axle
                              distance of the axles
                              total weight of the truck
                              speed
                              made a image if you (the truck, not me as a person)
                              distance to the one in front
                              and this al in just a few seconds.
                              the computer show that one is to heave,the police bike or car who is waiting a few kilometers further pick you up and brings you to a weightbridge.
                              so the more axles you have the smaller the change is that you are overloaded at a axle.
                              sometimes i am overloaded but thanks of al the axles i am not overloaded on the axles ,but will exceed the max load of 50 tons.
                              and those tickets are cheaper than overloaded axles.

qiustions??
                              i answer them ,on my own on following manner
                              so much easier to tell this in dutch ,then write it in englisch
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

Thijs, this is just a quickie as I can't stop long enough to study your last answer thoroughly right now - will do so later today. Your first reply made sense as you explained it so I didn't go out to test it on my car, but it immediately led me to wondering why that space was not on the trucks I saw, where all 3 rear axles were close together, as in the model I quoted. Also, looking at your Highway Cruiser it did seem a very large space just to accommodate the turning of the rear steering wheels. So there were more questions coming.
                                You are good to go into such detail for me, I appreciate it, and as for the language problem - well, you make the explanations very clear even though it must be a tedious job getting it into English. This is why I appreciate it, you don't just fob me off with a quick answer.
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X