No announcement yet.

Mercedes benz '' HIGHWAY CRUISER''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Thijs, but it's OK. if I find it too high than I'll just have to move the screws on the post down a bit.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you for the great answers Thijs.

I should have guessed about the axle lifter. That makes sense out of the connecting bars and stuff down there amongst the suspension. The incredible thing is that all the extra expense is repaid in reduced fuel consumption when you are running empty or lightly loaded.

It's amazing just how much knowledge truck drivers must have that the rest of us don't have. As always, YouTube is a good source of information. These two videos are very informative, and there are many more :

After seeing the videos, I understand why you say "legpower" Thijs, because normally the fifth wheel adjustment is made by driving the tractor with kingpin engaged and trailer brakes applied, right?

The videos don't mention the weight indicator or the menu system in the cab. I can see how this is vital to making a good decision as to where the fifth wheel should be located.

I thought it was all about cruising on motorways but there's so much for a truck driver to know!!
      ---------------------------
      Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
      Deck plan geek.

Comment

mounted the mudflaps,and removed them again.
        have to weld new longer bolds on the brecketts,so that i can place 2 nuts behind them.

best regards Thijs

Comment

it's so much easier to work at when you have 220volts with you,for the drilling and grindingtool.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper View Post

I should have guessed about the axle lifter. That makes sense out of the connecting bars and stuff down there amongst the suspension. The incredible thing is that all the extra expense is repaid in reduced fuel consumption when you are running empty or lightly loaded .
            and a longer live for your tyres,the extra steering axle than offcourse

After seeing the videos, I understand why you say "legpower" Thijs, because normally the fifth wheel adjustment is made by driving the tractor with kingpin engaged and trailer brakes applied, right?
            yes you're right,but it wassn't a easy job with the legpower.but looking at the video's there is nothing of what he said that i do,but that is the differend for when to learn and a driver with 29 years of experience.

The videos don't mention the weight indicator or the menu system in the cab. I can see how this is vital to making a good decision as to where the fifth wheel should be located.
            it's not as much for the weight controle,as more for narrowing the gab between cab and trailer,less wind between it,so economical better driving.
            that i have such a fift wheel is because of a 3 axle truck has a longer chassis than a 2 axle truck.
            we (TSI our company) have more 2 axle trucks as 3 axle.for ''normal'' loads (holland 50 tons,Germany 40 tons and Belgium 44 tons) a 2 axle truck is enough with a 3 axle trailer,but for 50 tons you need a 6 axle vehicle a 3 by 3 (3 truck and 3 trailer) or a 2 by 4 axle (2 truck and a 4 trailer) and i go even heavyer.
            so the chassis for a 2 axles truck (short chassis) have also be connected behind my 3 axle (longer chassis) truck,and thatswhy we have a adjustable fift wheel.

I thought it was all about cruising on motorways but there's so much for a truck driver to know!!
            when i have a ''normal'' chassis,the driving issn't that good,the most of the weight is laying at the back of the truck,so it feels just as when you trow 50 tiles in the back of your car,bad driving
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Tomorrow the HC won't start - flat battery!
              Those Neckerman flaps do look smart, don't they? It'll be good when you get them properly fixed.
              When Clipper asked what one object was in one of your photos, I misunderstood what he was looking at. The bit I wondered about I now know is the fifth wheel. I didn't know what that meant at first but I've watched those two videos and now I understand better. Thank you for giving the links, Clipper, I've learnt a little more.
              I often watch Ice Road Truckers, or the Outback one when it is on, so if they start checking things underneath when there is a problem I must watch carefully. I always do, but now I might just recognise something! The only thing is, you don't normally see them doing normal things like coupling or uncoupling, just the exciting problem bits where they're stranded somewhere and need help - fast.
              The recent Outback one showed the clouds of dust raised by the first truck in a small convoy, and it reminded me of the time when I was in Oz and we got caught behind a truck on an unmetalled road. How John knew where he was going I don't know, even the truck was invisible. But he and his wife are used to it. Very few roads are metalled where we were even though they may be what we might call trunk roads. Come to that, there are only two kinds of road in the bush, those made of dust or tracks to homesteads which are just lines in the ground made by previous vehicles. All good fun.
              Ivy

Comment

did check the battery meter,before i started today,now worries,even now when i was ready the battery is 3/4 full.and including the 2 cups of coffee Wesley made.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Well, so long as it was good, strong coffee it was probably just what the battery needed.
                  Ivy

Comment

damn,they stole my rims this night.

best regards Thijs

Comment

wll not really,i removed them to spraypaint the wheel rims and the wheelhubs.

6 rims x 10 nuts,makes 60x hard work,but i'm not afraid forsome work.

but then again,why should i do it the hard way,if i can do it the easy way.
                      with a wheelnut machine

best regards Thijs

Comment

i was planning for the easter weekend to spraypaint the wheel rims and wheel hubs,
                        and some more to make the truck ready for a truckshow.
                        paint ,check
                        wheel nut machine and stuff to connect,check
                        to the truckwash,check ,but closed
                        to a Volvo garage,check,but cleaner was broken.
                        make a appointment with Arjan Westerlaken to spray them,check.
                        looking for the wheater forecast for dry and Sunny weather,check.
                        early out of my bed,for remove the rims,check
                        BUT WHO IS EXPECTING SNOW IN APRIL.
                        and screwed up the paintwork.
                        no fluff yesterday or this morning,but when we started to spray the paint al that damned fluff came up.

i hate mother nature

best regards Thijs

Comment

the rims are silver again and the wheel hubs bleu.
                          all decorated with those damned fluffs.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                            damn,they stole my rims this night.
                            Just trying to get me very upset, aren't you?

wll not really,i removed them to spraypaint the wheel rims and the wheelhubs.
                            HUH!!!!!

BUT WHO IS EXPECTING SNOW IN APRIL.
                            and screwed up the paintwork.
                            no fluff yesterday or this morning,but when we started to spray the paint al that damned fluff came up.
                            the rims are silver again and the wheel hubs bleu.
                            all decorated with those damned fluffs.
                            Thijs, Thijs, Thijs, I am falling off the chair with laughing.
                            you and your fluffs.
                            What were they - off the willow trees? Although it's a bit early in the year yet for that.
                            Ivy

Comment

Oh my poor Thijs. You know that I'm not laughing at what happened, but at the way you tell it. How is it that there are so many fluffs on the fifth wheel yet I can't see them anywhere else? I've enlarged the picture (this software doesn't enlarge so well as the old one did) but it is difficult to see if there are any on the wheels. If it really was bits of fluff was the paint still wet? Or was it really snow (it's cold enough here for that although the skies are fairly clear)?
                              You must tell me how it is now, because seriously it must have been maddening for that to happen, especially after the truckwash was closed and the garage's cleaner broken. Everything seemed to be against you. But you'll win through. And there is plenty of time before the show, you don't need to do the truck wash yet, do you? It'll only get dirty again.
                              I think the Highway Cruiser deserves to be right in the front line on the day of the show. Pity there aren't prizes, you'd win alright after all the work you're putting in to it.
                              Ivy

Comment

the images of the wheels,is before painting,i was removing them there.
                                didn't make a image of the wheels yet.
                                the wheater was perfect,a Sunny warm day.
                                if i washed it ,it is a lot easier to spot the places that need work.
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X