No announcement yet.

Mercedes benz '' HIGHWAY CRUISER''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wel so nice that the left the top open,easier to sand below it.
    will need a lot of days of care
    best regards Thijs

Comment

polish this week the top plate of the exhaust,the kalf of this plate gave me 5 blisters on 3 fingers.
      you can see the dioginal lines in the plate,following those holes on a quick and hard pressure way,make it shiny on a fast way,but it bad for the fingers
      thank you very much Wesley for starting to polish.
      but it's looking good like this.

also started to polish on the frontside of it.
      just the outside,it's a flat piece,so the fingers got some rest.

best regards Thijs

Comment

from time to time i did some work on the chrome parts,didn't got new blisters,but didn't pressed so hard eather.
        the exhaust is done,only behind the litte ladder,where i have to remove it first.

best regards Thijs

Comment

also finish the catwalk.

started yestarday with the big aluminium plate,and Wesley did a part of it today.

couldend paint on the chassis,while i got 2 containers on the chassis with 25 ton each with tiles.
          to heavy for the landing legs.
          did some work fpr the mudflaps,but didn't go like i would.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

removed the ladder this afternoon and clean the plate and polish that too.
            so that part is ready too,just some maintenance from now on from time to time.(probally not)

the parts that Wesley polished today,but it's hard to get some shine in this plate.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Oh poor Thijs with those blisters, did you not have some really heavy duty gloves to wear to protect your fingers? But just look at the result - the exhaust gleams, just see the reflection of the red wotsit in it, and have you even polished those cables, they look like new? What was up with the mudflaps, then? But the new ones will arrive soon, won't they? They should be in time for the show on 10 May, so you don't really need to do anything about the current ones.
              Oi, what's that white mark on the little ladder, bottom left? Tch-tch-tch!
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

yes after the blisters experience i used my work gloves,that went better.
                the red reflection is the fire extinguisher box.
                didn't polish those hoses and cables,but maybe that i wil spray them with brake dust remover.
                the new flaps are in the house,and i placed one this afternoon,but it didn't went well.
                made the to, well everyhing wrong.
                welded them on a thight way,and they fit when i made them,now i wanted to place them there to narrow.
                the welded bolts that i placed are to short,that i cant even screw a nut complete over it,so 2 nuts i can forget.
                so maybe tomorrow i place the second one,remove them cut off the bolts and weld longer on them.

the white stuff is dryed polish,but the truck will get some cleaning times at a truckwash.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                  yes after the blisters experience i used my work gloves,that went better.
                  Good heavens, man, you are meant to put them on before you do the job. Hopeless!

the new flaps are in the house,and i placed one this afternoon,but it didn't went well.
                  Oh I see. When you were talking about the mudflaps I thought it was the old ones you were trying to clean, which is why I said about the new ones coming soon.

the welded bolts that i placed are to short,that i cant even screw a nut complete over it,so 2 nuts i can forget.
                  You're a nutcase yourself! (malloot ???? I hope that's right, nutcase is not an unkind word, just a laughing, teasing one. I think domkop is not so nice?))

Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                    Good heavens, man, you are meant to put them on before you do the job. Hopeless!
                    well ,what can i say,i'm not used to work.

Oh I see. When you were talking about the mudflaps I thought it was the old ones you were trying to clean, which is why I said about the new ones coming soon.
                    no,i had them on the DAF too,and i like the look of those on a truck.but i wanted something else ,thatswhy ''NECKERMANN''.
                    and with the Original font????,but those that Mercedes use is a own desined type,so they couldend make it with that type.

You're a nutcase yourself! (malloot ???? I hope that's right, nutcase is not an unkind word, just a laughing, teasing one. I think domkop is not so nice?))
                    i went wrong somehow when i made those,i wassn't the only mistake.
                    i just don't know how and when it went wrong,because all of the brecketts are wrong with the bolts.
                    so yes ,i'm a nutcase = malloot,domkop,idioot,stommeling,or what so ever.
                    but i blame it on the hurry.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Great work Thijs. I know that the painting is the real topic here but your pictures make me want to ask so many questions. I never knew the aft end of a tractor unit was so complex. This is a whole new world for me.

Q1: What is the item behind the massive steel cover; an air reservoir for the brakes?

Q2: The fifth wheel clearly has fore-aft adjustment. What are the rules for this adjustment? How much do you need to know about the load you will be hauling?

Q3: Where do you stand to re-grease the fifth wheel? It is a long stretch across the road wheels.
                      ---------------------------
                      Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
                      Deck plan geek.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper View Post
                        Great work Thijs.
                        thanks clipper

I know that the painting is the real topic here but your pictures make me want to ask so many questions. I never knew the aft end of a tractor unit was so complex. This is a whole new world for me.
                        we can'tknow everything Clipper,even i don't know what is what on the aft side.

Q1: What is the item behind the massive steel cover; an air reservoir for the brakes?
                        no,thats the axle lifter,for when i don't need that steering axle.
                        when loaded light or driving empty i can lift that axle (just by pressing a switch) there will be air pumped into the air spring and lift the axle.
                        the real air spring for suspencion is the big black one on the right side of image.

Q2: The fifth wheel clearly has fore-aft adjustment. What are the rules for this adjustment? How much do you need to know about the load you will be hauling?
                        the rule is that you're not allowed to overload the axles,with my own 4 axle chassis it's shifted to the front agains the 'stoppers''(the 2 extra plates on top of the toothed steel plate,pushed it back by ''legpower'' so we could sand and paint it) ,but when i get a normal chassis,i just pull it all the way back.
                        there will be more weight on the drive axle,but i'll be shure that i corners truck and chassis stay away from each other.
                        and because this is a LZV LANG en ZWAAR VOERTUIG in english it would be LHV LONG and HEAVY VEHICLE one of those things that is reqiured is a weight meter on the axles.
                        so i just have to scroll through the truck menu to the weight indicator and see what the weight at the axles are,i can't see the total weight though.

Q3: Where do you stand to re-grease the fifth wheel? It is a long stretch across the road wheels.
                        with those nylon skid plated on them it seems not neded anymore,but thatis more for trucks that drive with light loads,i instead with the heavy containers need grease badley.
                        i don't have a automatic grease lubrication on the truck (do have it on the chassis though) so have to do that by muself,have a spatula on the chassis for when i conect my own chassis i first delete the grease from the sides of the fift wheel and put it back on top of the wheel.i normaly stand than on top of the truck aft in front of the fift wheel.
                        if i won't do that,making corners will be diffecult,the frictiong between truck and chassis will be so much that the heavy loaded chassis will push the truck gooing straight out, instead the truck will pull the chassis through the corner.
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

Oh, don't worry about it. Considering what you have achieved on the HC over the past months - including that lovely little table which you took such trouble over - then you must agree that you've done wonders, Thijs. As far as measuring things to make them fit is concerned, it is so easy for it to go not quite right. The other week I went across to the woodyard and bought a length of 75x75 timber to make my new washing-line post because the old one had rotted and fallen down. About 40-45 years ago I erected 3 in a triangle shape and over the years have replaced two. This was the third. I mentioned them a while ago and laughed because I had once misjudged the amount of mix needed.
                          So this time I bought a bag of cement and sand (packed separately), came home and on a sunny day got going on the job. I sanded it down first to smooth out a few rough patches, then measured up to fix a couple of screws near the top on which to hang the retractable washing line when I need it. Put the screws in, leaving just the head and a small bit of shank showing, then started mixing the cement. I had only a small piece of hardboard on which to mix so could only do it in small amounts. I got half-way, slow going because I only ever grew 2 hands and could have done with a third, so I had to prop up the post each time while I mixed the next batch.
                          And - guess what! Just as the post was beginning to be stable I realised I had misjudged my cement quantities. It was so long since I did the last post. The day was really hot, I was hot and bothered and saying all sorts of bad things to myself. I hurried out, got into the car, up to the shop and bought another bag. I rushed into the garden and thank goodness the post was OK and the cement had not dried out. I finished the job in the end and was reasonably pleased. The only thing is that, despite my careful measuring, the screws at the top were just a little high for me to fix the retractable line on each time.
                          So I found an old flat tile and placed that on the soil as a little step. I don't want to fix new screws as it is tough wood and I'd have to push hard to get them in. It might weaken the post.

So I didn't call you a nutcase because it went wrong. I called you a nutcase because the way you write about what you are doing, especially if there are problems, just makes me giggle. It makes me imagine you standing there swearing to yourself, heaving a great sigh, gulping down a coffee then starting all over again.
                          You'll get it all done in the end. You always do.
                          Ivy

Comment

i believe and thought that the mix for cement is 1:1.
                            some extra screws aren't weaken the post that much,so that wont be the troubble,specially in tough wood.
                            maybe to consider to screw in a woodbolt,it's a screw but with the head of a bolt.
                            then you can place a bit on top and screw it in with a ratchet wrench,gooing so much easier.

yes i know that you ment about the nutcase.
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

some extra screws aren't weaken the post that much,so that wont be the troubble,specially in tough wood.
                              No, I meant getting them in, pushing hard against the post, might loosen it. I'd have to get a strong man in from the street to push against it from the opposite side!
                              maybe to consider to screw in a woodbolt,it's a screw but with the head of a bolt.
                              Ah, but then I couldn't hang the line on the bolt. The line is in a circular case about 5cm. thick and a fitting at the side has two holes, each like a figure of eight but not closed at the centre, so at the top is a small hole opening into the lower, larger one. You place the case so that the large hole in the fitting slips over the screw then pull it down and the screw shank settles securely into the top hole. Oh, I'm laughing as I write this, it sounds so complicated but without a drawing it takes ages to explain.
                              So a bolt would not be the answer here, too big a head.
                              Anyway, it's done now. If I shrink I'll have to find another tile!

Thank you, Clipper, for asking what was beneath that large cover. I was wondering, too.
                              Ivy

Comment

what about a image?????
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X