No announcement yet.

Mercedes benz '' HIGHWAY CRUISER''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another one with a Mercedes Benz in the song.

we cal them her for short a Benz,but as you know,i call him a ''neckermann''.

here stands the Neckermann,aka Mercedes Benz,aka Menz,aka Benz,aka Merc,Mercedes,but here also as Highway Cruiser,
    near the container terminal at the Delta,loaded with 4 flatracks.
    when we load those flats we rise up the front and back side,and can be handeld as a normal container on the terminals.
    but you can load these with everything that is bigger as in lenght,wide or hight as the normal container.
    these are about 4 to 5 tons a piece .

such a great vieuw,verticle exhaust behind the cab
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Getting quite handy with Photoshop, aren't you!
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

uhhh,no photoshopping here Ivy!
        if you mean the ''exhaustpipes'',those are from the powerplant.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Then it was very, very clever positioning on your part! Did you manoevre it specially or was it by chance that you parked there? (I can see you juggling for the right position on the opposite side of the road to get it just right!)
          Ivy

Comment

it was by coinsident,i wanted to make a image because of the new flatracks,dont have many images with flats.
            so i made this image ,

and saw the smoke just above the cab,so i positioning for the second images,where the smokepipes are right behind the cab.
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Just replace your diesel by a steam engine and you will have that picture always! But you will need a second trailer for coal and water...
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                it was by coinsident,i wanted to make a image because of the new flatracks,dont have many images with flats.
                so i made this image ,

and saw the smoke just above the cab,so i positioning for the second images,where the smokepipes are right behind the cab.
                You know, you are always on the lookout for the different angle, the amusing image. It's a great gift you have, old dear and much enjoyed.
                Ivy

Comment

yes Ralf ,and a second person,a stoker.

thank you Ivy,dooing my best,but activity is at a low point the last weeks
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

started late last monday 10,45am for a 45 minutes drive for my load adres,came there at 11.30am open the top of the container before there lunch time so that they can start loading machinery at 00,30pm.after loading i drove away at 3.00pm and driving back to Rotterdam,at the highway driving at sleepingspeed, a big bang wake me up at 3,20pm.

that will wake you up,right under my as. .

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

when the tyre man came for changing the wheel ,(we don't have a spare,not fot truck or trailer) after 1 hour,and he wanted to start to remove the wheel,the vehicle of the Road Administration show up.
                          looking how we stand (there was a little more than 1 meter between truck and road line) he desided to Phone for 2 crash trucks.
                          the showed up after 45 minutes and closed the right line,while the driver of the crash truck start placing pilons from 100 meters at the back from us the tyre man started to unscrew the wheel nuts and remove the wheel,pick up the spare wheel place in on the truck screw back the wheel nuts,in that time the pilons guy was at the truck,placing the last pilon,the tyreman let the air from the air jack,so he can pick up his pilons again.standing time at the emergency track 2 hours.Downside that he came with the wrong tyre,a bigger one (we can drive with 2 differend sizes,but careful with braking.
                          so we drove back to Ridderkerk the city of TSI aswel of the tyre firm for a new change,while dooing that ,they saw on my other front wheel a very bad spot aswel,so also that tyre was changed.
                          didn't make much money that day for my boss
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Well, those photos were certainly not taken for fun, like the one in your other post.
                            What a good job that they found the bad spot on the other wheel as well. Were the treads too worn, Thijs? Or had something pierced the tyre? Never mind about making money for the boss, so long as you were safe.
                            You have mentioned before about not having spares on the truck. Why is this? It would save the chap coming out with the wrong size, ridiculous. For them to say it's OK to drive with the alternative size so long as you're careful with braking is not good enough. What if, when you were driving to Ridderkirk, you had had to brake suddenly to avoid an accident? There would have been a worse accident.
                            Ivy

Comment

How old were these front tyres? Are you driving new ones or reinforced? This is looking really bad. Loosing a front tyre can mean a severe problem with steering. I think you had both: good luck and a high compentence in steering during this incident.
                              The reason not to have spares could be that there are different tire sizes on almost each axle, am i right? So which one you would take with you as spare? And - in todays traffic there should be the described assistance for a safe change. A driver from East Europe without money or a driver in hurry could try to change a tyre without such assistance in heavy traffic -- could end with a deadly accident, So better not to enable this possibility.
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

i don't know what has pierced teh other tyre,but a piece of rubber was loose over about 5a6 centimeter.
                                the sparetyre is more a weight isseu, because we are heavy from our own,with 2 empty containers on the truck,it weight's already 21 tons.
                                on the chassis is 1 size,there is also place for 1 spare,on the truck we have 2 sizes and there is a differend for the traction axle and the steering axle,btw in don't know the sizes too.
                                wel the frontaxle is 385/55.22,5 he brouht me a 385/65.22,5 tyre which is a chassis tyre.the difference in sizes is the part with 55 or 65 ,the 65 is higher.
                                we cant have them under the truck,we wil be to high then,we are now already 4,05 meter with a highcube container, while 4 meter is allowed.

that we don't have a spare on the truck is because there is no place for it,the whole chassis is full with rims and tanks,the only place could be up on the chassis,but how do we get them of and the broken back on it,but we can place it there,because the container of the 45 ft size is to short behind the cab,so we cant make a turn then.

but for a short trip it's oke to drive,knowing that the way of breaking will be weird,have to steer against,while breaking he want to go left,so i have to steer to the right to keep in line of the road.
                                so the breaking wassn't the problem then,but that the truck will go left.but for those 20 km,no preblem,just highway

those tyres wassn't that old,it was already the second new set,so maybe 1 year now.but the explosion was because i had driven over a bolt,nail or any piece of steel,thats goes trhough the tyre ,air running out,so the tyre was folded,getting hotter and hotter and bam.
                                thats why the part with the profile was compleet,otherwise the rubber was spread out over a 100 meters and more,now the complete tyre was still there.

they do it the most of the time now,cross the rightline of for traffic,much safer,but there was a meter now,a car with emergency lights behind me and 2 men for lookout.

and that all for 5 minutes work.
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

• Seagull
                                  Seagull commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thijs, I’m not even making jokes about this season's F1 tires. Your experience is really far too scary. Take care and stay safe dear.

• janihudi
                                  janihudi commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  this one was a new experience for me too Cecelia,the first blow up on the front axle in my 28 years truckingcarreer
                              Working...
                              X