Railway Stations from around the World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hualamphong Station, Bankok, Thailand

While we are in southeast Asia, here are a couple of photos of the Bangkok railway station Hualamphong, taken in November 2017.

The yellow flowers were a tribute to the late King at the time of the Royal Cremation ceremonies.

Comment

How wonderful to finally see the railway station on Yangon again - it must have been at least 15 years since my feet walked around there. The only thing that I can remember is the roof-tops.

Looking through all the photos that you have so kindly shared from Yangon, there is a part of me that really wants to run over and clean up the place, remove trash and give the buildings a fresh coat of paint. I would probably have been arrested trying to do so.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

- and then off course, my favourite train-station of them all: Hua Lampong.

I have been there quite often waiting for people to arrive and sending people off to the provinces. Also, in the wee hours of the morning, the Oriental Express train can be seen there.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Drove to Sweden yesterday and in doing so, we had to pass Ulsberg. After passing this station on Dovrebanen railway many times, I decided to drive up to it ant take some pictures.
          I'm very fond of architect Erik W. Glosimodts five station buildings at Dovrebanen; Drivstua, Kongsvold, Hjerkinn, Vålåsjø and Fokstua, but as I like railway buildings, it does not matter who designed them.
          Ulsberg station opened 20. September 1921 (the day before Dovrebanen itself) and was closed and abandoned in 1989.
          Since then, the station has been remotely controlled as a crossing point (parallell lines). The buildings were drawn by architects Gudmund Hoel and Jens Flor and is at 439 meters above sea level.

Now, it was about time I photographed these buildings, because I heard today that the owner (Bane Nor) want to tear down old railway buildings, and Ulsberg being one of them. It's a sad thing.
          All of Glosimodts buildings has been kept in mint condition and rented out to people wanting to live there. Why not let people buy the buildings?
          Dovrebanen is 100 years in 2021, wouldn't it be a great gift to give this part of the Norwegian railway history a fresh and maintained railway building? I think so, but then again, I'm not in the control of the economy ;-)

Anyway, we were fortunate to also get a train in one of the frames yesterday as the southbound locomotive EL18 #2250 passed.

Cargo house
          ​​​​​​SSL26733 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Main station building
          ​​​​​​SSL26739 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Dovrebanen is n electrical powered railway line
          SSL26747 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

And here's the southbound El 18
          SSL26748 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

That's a really cute set of images you shared, mr. S.

I've never meade the trip to that station either but perhaps I need to do so some day. Thank you so much for sharing these - glad you got a train featured as well!

Comment

A railway company should take care of their history. Therefore they should hand over the building to someone who takes care. Is there no protection as istorical building possible?
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
              X