No announcement yet.

Railway Stations from around the World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a confession to make; I didn't do my homework on the Yangon Railways Station. I relied upon my driver who said it was built by the British.
    In fact the original station, built in 1877, was but it was destroyed in WWII. The present one was designed and built by Burmese Engineers.

Yangon Central Railway Station was first built in 1877 by the British to support Burma's first railway line, from Yangon to Pyay. The station was located on the southern side of the railway compound on the upper block of Phayre Street (now Pansodan Street) in the downtown area. The building was designed in the British Victorian style and the access roads were bordered by grassy lawns. The beauty of the property prompted locals to praise the new structure as the Fairy Station.[2]

The station became a favorite target for Japanese bombers during World War II. In 1943 it was destroyed by British forces retreating to India.[2]

The station was rebuilt following the war according to a design drawn by engineer Hla Thwin and based on Burmese traditional architectural styles. The new structure was 5110 square meters (55,000 sq ft) in size. To the north were grass lawns, gardens and wide access lanes. The new design was approved by the Railway Authority on 7 May 1946. Construction was started in January 1947 by engineer Sithu U Tin and completed in May 1954 at a total cost of K4.75 million. The opening ceremony of the new Yangon Central Railway Station was held on 5 June 1954.
    The structure is listed on the Yangon City Heritage List.
    That explains the very Burmese style of the building.

Comment

Well here is a forum thread, which seems to have completely passed me by, until directed here from another of ombugge's threads (which I'm also planning to post in!) It seems astonishing, as the intoxicating combination of things 'railway', architecture, and history in a context of places and change is so very me

I don't know if these marvellous photos are about to disappear shortly (as my old Photobucket ones are due to do later this month), but can I urge you all to take a look at ombugge's marvellous images in both his threads now while you still can.

Comment

So it's February this year, 2018, and I've flown to Yangon at the start of a boat cruise up the Irrawaddy. The group will have a walking tour in the downtown area of Yangon, as well as a coach to visit some of the temples, both of which I wanted to do, so the only totally free time is the first afternoon once we have been driven from the airport and settled into our hotel, the Sule Shangri-la (which was formerly called Traders prior to renovation some three years ago). Looking at the map, I had noticed the hotel's location, on Sule Pagoda Road at the opposite end from the Pagoda, was not too far from the railway station. So walking there was my main objective for the free time. No afternoon naps for me after the night flight - jet lag? ...what jet lag?!

Crossing the rather complicated busy intersection with Bo Gyoke Road, I was approaching the bridge across the railway tracks when loud hooting signalled the departure of a train! I could not have hoped for a better beginning!

Then it was time for a less hurried, more composed photo - camera poised and pointing towards a gap between the trees, and the four elaborate and very Burmese towers of the station building clearly in view.

Comment

Continuing along, I found good viewpoints looking down to various lines and platforms.

Comment

Now at ground leveI, I made my way to the front of the station, first looking for a view showing the lawns and gardens mentioned in descriptions of the station.

At the bottom right of that photo is the base of a sculpture surmounting a fountain in a circular pond. I managed to get into a position to photograph it with one of the towers in the background.

Comment

Looking across the wide access area to the front of the station.

Here the façade around the clock is looking rather worse for wear compared with Ombugge's photo.

The main entrance to the station.

Although I wasn't able to reach the waiting areas and onto the platforms, I'll show you inside the main hall in my next installment, and, back outside, we'll see the rather more dilapidated state of the far end of the building before taking a different route back with interesting views in the opposite direction.

Comment

That is a marvellous report. There is a feeling, that all what is happening here, is in a relaxed way. I am sure, that there are different hours during the day, with masses of people heading for their jobs or at home, but here, during the day, it is looking like an almost cozy place. I am fascinated by the look of the platform roofs.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

You are right in two ways Ralf - I should have mentioned that the day I arrived in Yangon was a public holiday, Union Day. Also it is probably in the morning that the station is at its busiest.

Much of the activity is on the line known as the Yangon Circular Railway.
                  Here is one illustrated description of it - don't be put off by the U.S.A. source. (Actually I can't imagine many actual American tourists fancying such an experience, but I would be very much up for it!)
                  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/w...ine-train.html

There are some facts and figures about the line here in the Wikipedia article:-
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangon_Circular_Railway

Comment

Let us take a look inside the elegant main entrance hall of the station.

The ATM machine in the corner is probably a recent addition, in this country where people still have a widespread distrust of the formal banking system.

Another sign of the times is the brightly lit Ooredoo kiosk - a leading telecoms company which along with Telenor is in competition with the former government monopoly MPT.

Comment

I exited the station building at the corner in the previous photo, where you glimpsed pedestrian steps up to a road bridge which passes close to the far end of the station building before crossing over the tracks.

Here is the view looking towards the station from the steps.

Comment

This end of the station building is more dilapidated, and derelict in parts.

Comment

Under the arches in the other direction things have been tidied up a little. I was really pleased with the lighting in this photo.

After that little bit of urban exploration, I ascended the steps and crossed the bridge, walking along the covered pavement.
                          In my final installment I'll show you the views of platforms and tracks from that vantage point.

Comment

Continuing along the covered pavement across Pansodan Street Bridge, I see some steps that give access to a platform and I believe that, rather than the main hall, is where one can get a ticket for the Circular Railway route.
                            On the photo, the building on the extreme right with the corner feature is the Sule Shangri-La Hotel where I was staying.

Further on one gets a good view looking along the tracks.

Comment

I liked the views of old carriages and bits of track amongst the trees.

Comment

Vendors have a shady spot along the covered walkway.

At the end there are steps down to Bo Gyoke Road, my way back to the hotel after a most enjoyable and interesting walk.

Comment

Working...
                                X