No announcement yet.

Veteran Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bureaucracy is a funny thing isn't it! I assume the MG had a 'MOT' certificate (UK version of TUV) before it left the UK?
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      I am convinced it is. And in the end in both countries all depends on the person. If an inspection engineer knows what he is doing, all is good. If he is a know-all-guy, it is getting difficult. Here in Germany classic car lovers drive miles to meet "their personal" engineer. I begin to understand, why...
      I thought, there would be no mess with a perfect car, but i am still learning.

• PoloUK
      PoloUK commented
      Editing a comment
      Very true, and I'm sure that the inspectors have the right motives. As I understand it, the potential weakness of the UK system is that it's very prescriptive, with very little latitude for the mechanic's judgement. Anyway, you're fixed and legal, and the car's cute!!

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it is and all is official now and written in the papers, without any cheat and therefore save for eternity. A good invest of time and discussions.

AHA, Bureaucrats, my favourit people!!! Since we are on the subject of cars and licenses, let me tell you a story;
    I lost my wallet somewhere in China many years ago, (can't remember exactly when and where) This included my Singapore and Norwegian driving license, among other things.
    When returning home I obtained new Credit Cards, IC and Singapore driving license fairly quickly.Since I had no need for a Norwegian driving license before going to Norway, I made no attempt to obtain a new Norwegian driving license.

When I went to Norway for a visit I decided to get a replacement, although, as a non-resident, I could drive there on my Singapore license.
    I went to the relevant office and explained that I had lost my driving license some time ago and could I please have a new one?
    Not that easy!! I was told I could not get a replacement license because I was not a resident of Norway. (Never mind that I'm a Citizen)
    "Does that mean that I cannot drive in Norway??"
    "No, we have records showing that you have a valid driving license, so if you are stopped and asked for a license, just ask them to call us". (How that would work outside office hours I don't know)
    "Why can't you just issue a replacement license to prove it then??"
    "Because we cannot issue driving licenses to non-residents". (How to square a circle??)

Needles to say, I still don't have a Norwegian driving license to show, but at least I can call somebody, somewhere, if I should ever be asked for one.

PS> Some countries in Asia demand that the Passport and Driving License are issued by the same country.
    Last edited by ombugge; July 15th, 2015, 06:13. Reason: Add PS

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      That made me laugh out lout. Great story, get assured the person in the office is introducing the follower to you, before she/he gets retired...
      Such a funny recommendment: "Ask them to give me a call".... just wonderful.
      But you Norwegians anyway know all each other, don't you? So it is like asking your neighbour,

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, this neighbour is 10,000 miles away.

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      That's obvious. But not, if you're asked for a Norwegian driving license.

Veteran car meet in Langevaag: http://www.smp.no/kultur/article11484296.ece

Comment

16. April 2016 I was asked to meet hurtigrute KONG HARALD northbound in Kristiansund. Someone said it carried a very special piece of art from Bergen.
      I managed to find out what, and it turned out to be Kristiansunds former Mayors new car...., a model 1949 Packard. I called him and told him what I knew and to ask him if it was ok to come down and take pictures. He was friendly as always, and here are the results.

It was a matter of centimeters, but on the second attempt the car made it through

Finally the former Mayor (and former leader of Indre NordmÝre Veteranvogn Klubb in SunndalsÝra) could meet up with his "diamond" on the quay there

A nice looking car this Packard. His other car is a black Volvo PV

The white balance in my camera would not play my notes this evening, and since this had too much orange light in it, I made a b/w out of it...

Tripod and 4 seconds exposure here...

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        Niice!
        Regarding the white balance, I think that the light was actually yellow-ish, still a very common problem - but LED lighting is getting more common.

• Sterkoder
        Sterkoder commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yes, the light present were of the orange/yellow typical flodlight typical for harbour work areas.

Beautiful!!! Such elegant lines!!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Sure are elegant lines, Ralf..., just like in the former Mayors 1957 Volvo PV 444, as seen here at the classic car exhibition in SunndalsÝra last year

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          See how stylish the white reflections on the hood, roof and wheelhouses shape the car. There would however be a need for some additional light/reflections on the side/doors of the body - they are totally black - the wheels get lost.

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          I totally agree with you in your description. I show up only with my Pentax and a Pentax 18-135mm.
          Now I see the point in maybe buying a couple of Rotolight NEOs, and maybe a reflector. Been watching, and chatting with, Jason Lanier lately, and I share his love of the Rotolight NEO..., and way of photography :-)

More veteran cars for your enjoyment: http://www.smp.no/alesund/2016/04/30...a-12674769.ece

I can add one for good measure:

Comment

Hmmm...., when I visited Ňlesund on the 26th to photograf and experience live the cruise ship BRITANNIA, I drove past that bright yellow Mercedes parked at a carpark across the E136 from the fuel station in Nedre Strandgate on my way to Kaptein Linges gate at Hessa. My thoughts (totally wrong, of course) was to take a picture upon my return.
          Do you think for a minute that the car was still there?

Saturday 7. May there will be a huge arrangement in Kristiansund, closing down most of the city center with cars parked for exhibition during Bilens- og Motorsykkelens Dag 2016.
          We military vehicle owners will have our own designated area in front of Folkets Hus. Will be back in the correct thread after the arrangement is finished ;-)

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            My rule of thumbs: Pictures should be taken when they occur - unless you are working in a photo studio. The same picture can never be re-created...

For those who are interested in VW veteran cars: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/soere/2016...g-12769585.ece

Comment

I enjoy old classic VW cars alot, but also other brands.
            A couple of week-ends ago, the national CitroŽn Veteran car club of Norway had their annual meeting in Kristiansund.
            Old CitroŽns, specially the DS version, from all over the country came to town, but also representatives from Sweden. Here are a collection of my pictures from the day, if you don't mind of course.

The exhibition took place at the City Hall Placa (RŚdhusplassen) 14. May

The Swede :-)

The famous DS also came as a station wagon

The classic DS, or Padda, as it's commonly known in Norway (translates into the Frog)

Old classic and brand new rear ends of the same brand

Some were patiently waiting for daddy :-)

Comment

CitroŽn DS even has nice details, like this roof cargo railing

Not only rear ends that are classic. Also the front has changed over the years

A new CitroŽn

One also shoewd us the engine room

Details of two different DS'

Comment

A rare CitroŽn exhibited at the Pier

A sporty CitroŽn turbo 2

Rear window of a new CitroŽn

Everybody know these lines

Production plates of a DS

Comment

Thank you for this report Sterkoder.
                  Here is a link to the DS club of France.
                  http://www.dsidclubdefrance.net/

Comment

Dear friend, also the C6, the new one, is now history. Production stopped in 2012 after 6 years and 23.000 cars. The DS had a number of more than 1.500.000 and was built from 1955 to 1975.
                    Fortunately we had a C6 for three years as business car (fathers last one). A wonderful car, but it had a very small trunk. So it was not useable for me and my family. The C5 i am driving, has the same chassis, but will be probably also the last of it's kind. The Citroen managers did their best to drive down the myth of the big models. It is a shame...

Very enjoyable pictures! You caught perfectly the uncomparable lines. Thank you so much!
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      A rare CitroŽn exhibited at the Pier
                      i almost had the chance to drive one from Italy to Holland.
                      ​long long long ago.

unfortionaly the sale between a friend (a small garage holder) and the Italian seller was stoped by the seller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_SM

best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                      X