Clear All

Re: Veteran Cars

Another nice sound document:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPGfLWaSnE
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
      Dear Ivy. The Morris Minor was not the Ford T (available in each colour, as long as it is black). There were a lot of clours available, especially since this is a late 1968 model. As far as i know, this is the original colour, maybe resprayed, but i am not sure. I think it is Snowberry White, but i will ask my friend to go for sure.
      Here is a link to all the available Minor colours.

http://www.minormania.com/feature.php?catid1&id=1994

But maybe green was the only colour sold in Suffolk?

Well, well, well. I've never seen any other colour except a black on a Traveller.
      And, actually, it was sold in Norfolk.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Here is a wonderful page, which shows the colour variety.

http://www.morrisminor.org.uk/index....r-schemes.html

My friend is now very busy with Minors.

His first one was an Almond Green Convertible (sold).
        The second one was the Snowball White convertible (top restored), as above. His own today.
        The third one was a Black 4-door Saloon (driven by his friend).
        The fourth one was a Post Office Red Convertible (later conversion, sold).
        The fifth one was a Snowball White 2-door Saloon (sold).
        The sixth one was a Glacier White Traveller (sold).

Now he is about to fetch an Turquoise Traveller. And maybe a second...

The technique is quite simple and the spare parts are incredible cheap. So it is more reliable than our VW Beetle and something very special here in Germany.

Comment

Well, well, well, well, well, well! Looking at that colour list I do remember the British P.O. red which their vans had, but I have never seen a private version. Oh it was a lovely little car, as you say, Ralf, so simple, lift up the bonnet and you soon learnt what everything was. If something was wrong you got a new part and it would be simple to fit - not counting the actual muscle power that may be needed, of course. Needless to say I didn't do the job but I learnt about it from the man who did. My car was kept at one of a row of rather tumble-down garages looking out on to the marshes nearby and on a warm summer's day with only the birds for company I would have happy rust-repairing sessions with sandpaper and my pots of Rust Cure and paint, plus perforated sheets of zinc and special cement for use where there was a hole. But after some years and having had two fibre-glass wings fitted (that edge at the door-hinge side was very prone to rust) I had to get rid of it because rusting underneath was becoming too serious.
          Whereas with today's cars it's a different story.
          I'm surprised and pleased that the Morris Minor is held in such high esteem in Germany. Long may it last.
          Ivy

Comment

Strange to see a modern car vs a veteran side by side like that... they appear as in the same class, but are miles apart in technology.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I asked my friend and his Convertible is indeed Snowberry White, which it was also originally, but it is the second painture.

Only one of his cars had not the original colour, and that was the Post Office Red one. This car was an Almond Green 2 Door Sedan before and was then chopped into a red convertible.

Comment

So today we made the most of the late summer sun by taking a trip to nearby Avebury - ancient stone circle in the Wiltshire downs. However, this being England and the summer, with typical eccentric nature of selection of time and place the local Jaguar Enthusiasts club were having a rally on the village cricket pitch. Some absolutely stunning vehicles (esp the E types!) in beautiful condition.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

ahhhh,such a beauties
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

A nicely restored veteran - by my former employer in Bangkok...:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Veteran Mercedes seen in Penang:

Model and age is for the experts to advise.

Comment

This is a Mercedes 300 "Adenauer", Series W189, which has been built between 1957 and 1962. The nickname is, because our former chancellor used to travel in this car. There is a tale that he had to choose between this one and a BMW. When he entered the BMW, he pushed his hat down at the roof, so he decided for the Mercedes.

Comment

That is a goodlooking veteran. I don't think I have seen that model before!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                            This is a Mercedes 300 "Adenauer", Series W189, which has been built between 1957 and 1962. The nickname is, because our former chancellor used to travel in this car. There is a tale that he had to choose between this one and a BMW. When he entered the BMW, he pushed his hat down at the roof, so he decided for the Mercedes.
                            Good enough reason to choose.
                            Ivy

Comment

Ford in Ferrari's colours.

Comment

• Tommi
                                Tommi commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That's a big truck for its time.

Hi there. I just returned from our UK trip. We brought three cars with us. Here is a short report.
                              On Saturday we flew from Stuttgart to Manchester. This flight is offered by Ryan Air for 20 €Euro per person.

Our first stop was at Halifax, where we fetched a Traveller, which my friends bought during the last trip, but it broke down with an electric failure, so they had to leave it back. So the task was now to get the car running, and another friend, who was with us, fixed the car within minutes.

The blue car is what you get at Hertz when renting a Ford Focus. We did not complain.

The next morning we checked a black MG Midget from 1979, one of the last which was ever built. This is a restoration project. Something to learn on.

A whole bunch of car geeks.

Last edited by Ralf__; April 29th, 2015, 17:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X