2011 Formula One Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 Formula One Season

Rather like those cruise ship visits threads, it’s time to start another new year here!
    For one reason or another I didn’t get to alert you to the McLaren launch which I saw on TV live from Berlin’s Potsdamer Platz, but it’s probably out there somewhere if you google around – competition winners got to carry in parts that were then assembled onto the chassis, with Jenson and Lewis adding the final touches and then being interviewed as well as distributing caps and autographs to the crowd.

I always get nervous regarding a “totally different design” though – an awful lot to get right all at once! This air intake on the sidepods is certainly different.

More dismal kind of F1 news today is that Kubica is injured in a rally crash, and this BBC news item (which is all I’ve had chance to read as yet) speaks of “doubts about his ability to continue in the sport”.

I just heard about Kubica's rally crash, very bad news just before the start of the season. Several broken bones by the sound of it. Will be such a shame if this is the end of his driving career.

I have only glanced at photos of the new cars so far, but needless to say they are all looking very sleek. Just watched a video of Massa's new car catching fire during Thursdays practice, so not the ideal start for him.

Mixed reviews about the new Pirrelli tyres, Button thinks they are great and will suit him well, Schumacher says they are like driving on ice, and others are concerned about the degradation, saying that everyone will have to be very careful how they treat them.

Can't wait for the new season to get underway, i am missing my F1 fixes at the weekends!
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Now, Lady C, this was a naughty thing for you to do...get my appetite all whetted for the new season just when I have LIMITED internet access for the next 4 weeks. Oh, I wish I new how to find all the articles on line and quickly download them to read them at my leisure!!!!

Must go search the Kubica thingy though.....

Comment

Bernie wants to make it rain.

Bernie Ecclestone as come up with another idea to make races more entertaining, installing sprinklers at all tracks that could be switched on with just a couple of minutes of advanced warning. He says that the sprinklers could be run on a pre-determined program. The teams would not be told which program was going to be used during the race. He feels this idea could bring a lot of excitement to the races. Unsurprisingly the teams and drivers do not seem too keen on the idea.

What do you all think? I personally feel it could be quite entertaining, but at the same time i feel it would give a sense of 'falseness' to the races. Race results drastically changed due to real rain is onething, but results being changed because of a computer program does not seem right to me.

In my view, if they want to make races more exciting, with more action that could change the races results, then they should look at changing the design of a lot of the tracks. So many of the modern tracks have massive run off areas that do nothing to slow a car down if the driver makes a mistake. Often these days a driver can make a mistake by running very wide and off the road at a bend, and is still able to rejoin the track in the same position - a car only a couple of seconds behind does not have any chance of taking advantage of the other drivers mistake. Obviously i would not want safety to be compromised, but if a car runs well off the track at a bend, there should be something to slow his return to the track a little. If a driver makes a mistake it should cost him.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Phew! –McLaren have done an about-turn after their winter testing woes, Vettel starts as he means to go on, but I don’t think I’ve quite got to grips with the new tyres yet (excuse pun!)

… and I’m very sleepy having been unable to resist live practice…what a weekend to loose yet another hours sleep to Summer Time!

Comment

No way i was pulling myself out of bed that early, not even for F1. I took the lazy route of getting up at my normal time, then spending the morning avoiding any form of contact with the outside world that may spoil my 1pm viewing of the qualifying. Including this thread! And i shall do exactly the same tomorrow!

I think your spot on with your assessment Cecilia, especially the part about tyres. I think these Pirelli tyres are going to be creating a few more surprises during the race. Added to the adjustable rear wing thingy, i think we should see some action tomorrow!

Comment

Yes I was up and watching live…again…which is probably why I haven’t been able to string together a intelligible sentence all weekend in various threads…you know, edits, second posts to try to explain what I really meant in the first one…and as if virtual Australia wasn’t enough, there’s been virtual Trondheimsfjord (that was the really important thing actually), loosing an hour to British Summer Time, doing something for Earth Hour, filling in the census form, and umpteen other things….

But at least I don’t have to comment in this thread today in case Steve in particular might not have had the time to enjoy the offerings of his video recorder! But just one bit of advice. If it was the live recording you watch, just check up on the results afterwards…nothing podium-shattering, but perhaps if there is anyone a bit down the grid that you’re interested in it might be nice to know...

Comment

Well, I enjoyed it recorded, not knowing what was to happen. But thanks, Seagull, for the heads up--I went and looked it up. Interesting....and with this new "gotta be competitive" rule that left HTR off the grid.......
                Interesting year ahead......

Comment

Yes I really did get up to see live first practice from Sepang! The Red Bulls are awesome, and Webber got in a really impressive lap time. Problems for Renault …Heidfeld’s session came to an end with a right front wheel incident that appeared to be brake problem …and then Petrov had a tyre failure that may also have been brake related. Will see if there is more about this in Practice 2 shortly…

EDIT UPDATE P2:-
                  Well apparently the two Renaults were using different brakes, so not one big common problem! The cars were back on track later during second practice, and seem OK

Webber remained on top of the timings.
                  Last edited by Seagull; April 8th, 2011, 10:04. Reason: update

Comment

Well, I am supposing that you have caught up with Qualifying by now….much improved McLaren’s eh?!!!!

What else besides the McLaren/Red Bull battle? Well, regarding my personal predudices, I must say I always take a cheeky delight in seeing Rosberg out qualify Schumi. I’m not very keen on Massa (no doubt since the days when “my” Kimi had to put up with him as team-mate). And the reason I was excited about Sauber’s disqualification after the last race was because it got Paul di Resta a point, so ex Coulthard fans can look out their saltire flags to wave with pride once again!

Is it raining yet?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, I just got through watching the recorded race...but don't know if everyone else has....but I will say I LOVED how Webber passed Massa near the end!!!

I could have watched it live as Miss Alix came home at 3:30am from boyfriend Wesley's Prom......Cecilia, I know you especially will like seeing the photos!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                        Well, I just got through watching the recorded race...but don't know if everyone else has....but I will say I LOVED how Webber passed Massa near the end!!!

I could have watched it live as Miss Alix came home at 3:30am from boyfriend Wesley's Prom......Cecilia, I know you especially will like seeing the photos!
                        Do you know that your blogg is banned in Burma???? (Access denied)
                        Has it got something to do with the American embargo, or have you been singled out for your hostile attitude towards the junta???

Comment

....Cecilia, I know you especially will like seeing the photos!
                          Ah, there you are E…and YES, I do like those photos …tell Alix I like her hair like that. Such a lovely photo of her and Wesley coming down the steps, I think that’s my favourite.

… back on topic, I should tell you that Hamilton and Alonso each got a post-race penalty of 20 second time –the stewards deemed that Lewis made more than one change of direction in defending his position, whilst Alonso was penalised for causing the collision. The result of this is that Lewis drops a place to 8th (Alonso's position is unchanged).

Yes, it was exciting right to the finish (even without the amount of rain that might have been!). Oh, and did you notice that Paul di Resta got a point once again.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                            Do you know that your blogg is banned in Burma???? (Access denied)
                            Has it got something to do with the American embargo, or have you been singled out for your hostile attitude towards the junta???
                            WOAH!!!! Are you SERIOUS???????

THAT's WAAYYYYY cool!!!!!

Comment

WOAH!!!! Are you SERIOUS???????

THAT's WAAYYYYY cool!!!!!
                              Yes I AM serious!!!!

Here is what comes up when somebody try to enter:

The access to requested URL has been denied.

"maisoncourouge.blogspot.com"

To have the rating of this web page re-evaluated please contact your web moderator.
                              What have you been up to to deserve such notority???

Comment

Working...
                              X