Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The local American Car Club in Kristiansund is the main organisation behind two large events per year in this city: The Car- and Motorcycle Day in the spring and The Car Day in the fall.
    The Car Day (Bilens Dag) was yesterday in very bad weather.
    Anyway, we in the historic military vehicle club came with 11 cars, three trailers, a tent, a campfire and equipment on display.

Some of us met at Esso fuelstation to drive to the arrangement in a convoy

Some came early to make a campsite for us and lit the fire to boil coffee in the cold weather

This year we called our exhibition "Camp Soaking Wet"

The owner of the car next to me wanted to display communication equipment, and needed help to cover it from the weather

A model 1970 Ford MUTT from the Vietnam war

The camp just before the weather rolled in from south west

Warm coffee in cold weather always bring a smile to the face of a soldier
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

A Willys pull a Ford pull a trailer

A wet MB240GD

A Dodge W52

When we raised the society flag in the camp, the wind was so strong we had to make a small reenactment of the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima in February 1945

Camp Soaking Wet as seen from west

From south west

A 1945 Willys after two years of restoration

Comment

Our chef made a very good soup over the camp fire

And what happens to soldiers when they are cold, wet and in the field when they got hot soup served?? Look at their faces

A "new" Volvo Field wagon, at least to Kristiansund

View from the east

Four of the five Volvos present

Due to the weather, most of the car owners just drove back home to heat up, but as you can see, one heldt the fort to the bitter end. Yes, it's my Volvo standing there almost alone

Comment

Of cource there were polished and shiny cars there also, so for you who like them most, here are a few.
          All Norwegians are familiar with the little black and white VW police car, called PELLE...., or rather PELLE POLITIBIL in a famous national tv-series for kids.
          Pelle Politibil could, for all I know, be translated to Jack Police car (in example)

Different Mustang rear ends

Mercedes-Benz 220 SE model 1964

A locally owned Viper

A model 1969 Lincoln Continental. 1969 was the last production year for the "suicidal doors" of this car

A beautiful Thunderbird

Comment

A model 1957 Chevy Bel Air and a model 1973 VW 1300 (you can see the weather close in back there)

A Ford Mustand and some more

Comment

Seems to be a nice venue! I'm impressed that the pictures came out so colorful despite the very grey weather!

Comment

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                "I'm impressed that the pictures came out so colorful despite the very grey weather!"

I have only one thing to say about that: PENTAX! (And of course: thank you very much).
                I'm not expecting photographers using Canon or Nikon to even read a line about a Pentax, or rather Richo-Pentax as it is known now, but if one ever read a test or maybe a few lines about what one could get to what price in the new K-1...., I might not be alone using this great camera system ;-)

And as I've said many times before, I'm a photographer not a picture editor, so I don't even have Photoshop or Lightroom in my home :-)

A short video I made from some stills from the Open Day at Fort Kvalvik back in 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwU0sljZ9M8&t=6s

Comment

• pakarang
                pakarang commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent work! Loved the very suitable background music too!

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you! Got a message from YouTube that the background music was not allowed to use, but the ones who had the rights had ok-ed it if it was ok for me to have commercials in the film. Fine by me, don't all YouTube videos have commercials ;-)
                Anyway, I felt Röyksopp suited the pictures very well. One does not always have to chose Glenn Miller or Very Lynn to put background sound on pictures of military vehicles :-)

The tradition in the local dept. of Historic Military Vehicle Society has been, since long before I became a member, to gather members and their cars to drive into the city center in Kristiansund on the 1st January to celebrate the new year.
              We met at a local gasstation at 11:30 AM, and a small detail, but important: the main point is to drive with the top off (the cars), no matter what weather there is.
              We're vikings you know (haha).

Here are a few pictures from the gathering today, 1. January 2017. Happy New Year folks!

8 cars, 10 men

The car of yours truly ;-)

Kongens Plass, where we parked around the main christmas tree, talked and drank coffee

My Volvo field wagon

An old Volvo ambulance model 1968. The owner is a radio amateur, and is restoreing this vehicle as a army radio- and communication wagon. Sponsored by Centrum Restaurant! (hahahaha)

A open hood works like fly sticky paper on some men...

A Dodge WC-51 light transport vehicle
              Last edited by Sterkoder; January 19th, 2017, 10:05.

Comment

After Kongens Plass, we drove down to The Pier, for a all-in-one picture. Yes, another tree here, but this is a tree given as a gift to the city from a neighbouring municipality

Looking towards the Havnekontoret Bar & Spiseri (Eatery (is that a word?) ) and Kaibakken main road

Comment

I bet that was a cold but still very enjoyable experience!

The sight of this caravan coming into town would be something special I'm sure!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It was cold, but we had good (military) clothing...., myself useing a M75 field jacket, with a NATO sweater and field shirt underneath, and wool longlegged underwear and a US Army field trousers, M77 field boots and a classic Royal Norwegian Army field cap on top. I felt rather warm, belive it or not

Cool, huh? They call me General Schwartzkopf....

Comment

Are you from the Trump administration burning the evidences of the connection to Russia... (... political jokes is perhaps not a good joke, but I just had to say it....).

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I like all jokes, also political. The largest political joke I know consist of one single word: TRUMP.

Comment

In Norway, during Easter holiday, many people go to the mountains for winter activities. Some stay in the lower part of the country and are devoted to their leisure crafts, which they care for, wash and polish to reach their goal of putting their beauties on water and start the boat season.
                          Then there are a gang of dedicated people who try to let their loved historic military vehicles out of their garages or other storing places.
                          Saturday, we were a gang of such men attending a militaria sale at Orkanger just south of Trondheim. We inhaled the good old smell of depot and canvas and drove back home high on military impression. This led to me opening the garage and start shining up my Volvo field wagon for the sason.
                          Tried a light repair of the carburator, polished the windshield and mounted a new bridge plate, to make a somewhat more military look.
                          A bridge plate (that yellow thing with a black 3 on it) were/are used as a message to soldiers who guard bridges about the max. gross weight of the vehicle.

Comment

Cool, well done job on the window.... do you do windows in Trondheim too.... I hate doing the front window of my own car, inside or outside.... let me know your availability!

hahahahahaha

Never knew the reason behind the yellow tag on military vehicles - seen it on such vehicles, and now I just learnt something new too!

Comment

• Sterkoder
                              Sterkoder commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I can understand your frustration towards cleaning the windshield window.
                              On my military car it was easy, because I clean the outside as it is mounted in the picture, and for the inside cleaning job, I simply bend forward the hole window frame, so I can stand upright and do the job as I did the outside part ;-)
                              As for the bridge plate, you can also have two numbers over each other with a line between them.
                              If I have a trailer behind at 1 ton max gross weight, my plate would read 3/4 (3 tons car only, 4 tons total car and trailer ;-) )
                          Working...
                          X