X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Military Vehicles

Sunday 14. June 2015 saw the annual arrangement Day of the Fortress, an Open Day at Kvalvik Fortress ( http://kvalvikfort.no/ ) with guided tours, exhibitions of military equipment and military vehicles.
    As I'm a new owner to a Volvo Felt model 1963, I brought my Pentax over to see what we could find.

After weeks of grey and rainy weather, the sun finally found she would visit us up here...

At the fortress there are the south side and the north side. The north side was where they had their cafe and relax area, the south side was where all the "candy" was placed ;-)

An old M6 truck

Two of my buddies in a relaxed position in front of a Volvo Felt visiting from Lillehammer

Classic Willy's Jeep and the rear end of a Royal Norwegian Army LandRover

You might have seen it in another thread, but here he is, the happiest guy in the area..., (thinking about his own Volvo Felt soon to arrive)

Nice parking

He just started decorating his Willy's. Colours will come as time goes by
    Last edited by Sterkoder; June 15th, 2015, 14:27.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

A Dodge

As seen from the cargohold of that Dodge

A GMC (Gems..., as we call it here :-) )

LandRover

Classic scenery..., a Willy's Jeep and two small wall tents from the US Army

Someone looks closer at a perfectly working 60cm spot light

The Volvo Felt from Lillehammer

Comment

The GMC in a distance and "bullet holes" in the Willy's ;-)

The M6 truck again

Willy's Jeep

I love the Volvo Felt (I bet you can tell)

Willy's and Dodge

Dodge in headlight

Small Wall tents

Tried to make a wartime scenery here

Comment

Then it was about time to get something to eat and a cup of coffee

Making bakery in wartime ovens. And it tasted heavenly!

The kiosk

Well, enough of that, back to business... My friend from Lillehammer is leaving. He's got a long way home at 60-70 km/h.

A view over to the north side, where we see the kiosk tent

Comment

A few last pictures..., in 'Auto' this time

A US Army Vietnam war MUTT vehicle

Comment

A GMC anti-aircraft vehicle. One of only two operational in Europe, possible the world

The Dodge is heading home

We say bye-bye for now, and in a year..., there will be one more military vehicle present ;-)

Comment

Nice pictures, well all of them.
              A lot of colors, more than usually - looks fine.

Comment

What a wow Sterkoder day out! I like the way the vehicles are placed in the nature, and I got a feeling of exploring the paths and tracks and discovering things on the way. It felt a bit like in a wartime movie, peeping out of the bushes in places! The angle of view in the last photo of #5 gives a powerful impression.
                And then there’s happy guy #1/6 …

Comment

HMK avd. Møre og Romsdal (HMV Møre and Romsdal county) did their annual summer meet this week-end, and Friday 19. June we drove to Camp Gammelseter near Eidsvåg for a week-end in a world og green vehicles :-)

My own Volvo Felt fueld, loaded and ready to go

We met at the local Shell gas station for a convoy at 5:00PM

First stop, for some drinking water and snack for the drivers and passengers. The fact that the green vehicles stopped in front of the green building, I did not notice until now...

Then it was time to drive road 666..., not to Hell, but to Torvikbukt

Checking in at Camp Gammelsetra

Lined up while waiting for the barrack keys

My vehicle in front of my HQ for the week-end

Comment

Parking the vehicles in a line for the night

My Volvo and another HMK-members one

My Volvo

Friday evening we had shrimps, white bread, mayo and beer :-)

Saturday came and it was time for some light field maintenance on the vehicles

During the day, some stopped their cars on the road outside the camp and visited to have a look on our historic military vehicles

A Willy's were pulled by another one with a specially designed hook system

Comment

And as fun it was with one Willy's on the hook, they tried to hang a trailer behind. Worked perfectly...

From the parkinglot and field maintenance area

All heroes have to have food some time, and Saturday we drove to Eidsvågen for a lunch buffet

Saturday evening we made our own food, and fired up three grills

Midsummer Eve is coming Tuesday in Norway, but many celebrate on the closest Saturday night.
                      The closest this year was the one we spent at Camp Gammelsetera, and so we left our vehicles alone in the evening sun and left for the fireing up of the huge campfire

The view from a few meters south of the fireplace

Comment

• ombugge
                        ombugge commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Huge??? That is Huge??? I give you HUGE!!!, just look at the Aalesund thread.

• Sterkoder
                        Sterkoder commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well..., 'larger' then. Larger than a grill fire..., sorry.
                        In comparison to the fire they build each year in Ålesund, this one at Gammelsetera is a micro fire. But the size of the fire was not the main point with all the work I put into posting these pictures.

• ombugge
                        ombugge commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I appreciate the hard work and your pictures posted here. I see every one, even if I don't comment often.
                        Just a joke. I wanted to point out that Aalesund still have the remnant of the huge bonfires that used to be there in my young and tender days.
                        No need to get your nickers in a twist, as they say.

Then came Sunday morning, and it was time to reload the vehicles and head back home

Comment

Now that seems to have been the perfect weekend!
                        No mosquitos?

Comment

Oh, there were mosquitos all right, but Friday we sat under a roof, which in fact keep mosquitos away..., and Saturday we sat around three grills produceing some smoke.
                          It was a perfect weekend :-)

Comment

A handful members from the historic military vehicle society decided to drive down to Bud for dinner today, and here's a link to a few of my pictures from the trip:
                            https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=33d1f44a3b

Comment

Working...
                            X