VOLVO FELT, 1/2 ton, 4x4, Mod. L3314

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOLVO FELT, 1/2 ton, 4x4, Mod. L3314

Volvo Felt, as it was called in the Royal Norwegian Armed Forces when used from the early 1960s to the early 1990s, or Valp as it was called in Sweden (help me out here Tommi).
    This is a very popular vehicle among military vehicle fans and veteran vehicle collectors in Norway. The word Felt simply means Field.
    Why would I start a new thread for this little car?

Well, I had a few things going on in my life in the last month or so, only Ralf and his lovely family knows, so to get new thoughts and new energy..., and maybe to get to know new people in a new environment...., I simply purchased one today. Yepp, I just did...

My individ, registered H-4596, is a 1962 model with 69.790 kilometers on the meter. It got fresh paint, a new top cover with new doors and new tires..., and it cost NOK 40.000,-.
    Crazy...?
    Don't think so. I've always wanted a Volvo Felt ever since I was in school, and in the 40 years since that, I've always turned my head smileing whenever I saw one in the street or on a parkinglot.

For now it's parked at the salesman near Drammen, but in a week or so, I'll have it on a car transport trailer and then I will have my own pictures of the car.
    meanwhile, here's the salesmans pictures of the Valp :-)

Last edited by Sterkoder; September 11th, 2017, 21:28.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Ah, a new all-road & all-weather spottermobile!
    Reminds of the old saying "I always wanted one - so I bought one", great news!

Yes, in Sweden these are known as "Volvo Valp", that could be translated to "Puppy". The name comes from the fact that the car has a bit oversized wheels which makes it look like an puppy with oversized feet. Many components of the car are shared with the civil cars Volvo Duett and Amazon.

Congratulations!

Comment

Thank you, Tommi :-)
      This one has a Volvo B18A 75HP engine, and the sound...., can't wait to listen to the sound from both the engine and resonanze in the car, and the sound from the tires on asphalt. That remind me of my military year and a half :-)

Comment

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that we had an B18 in our family Volvo 242L, 1975 year model. I still remember how that engine looked like.

Hahaha!

Did i at least give you a motivation kick, as i purchased the 1972 MG Midget some weeks ago? He will hopefully get his permission to drive on German roads next Monday...

Svein, this is great and you will have a big smile while driving with your new toy. And so will the people you meet out on the street. And finally you will be the absolute winner in the car posing competition, which is taking place each night in Kristiansund harbor. What is a deep, deep old BMW or a green Dodge Dart compared to this.

Others will call it midlife crisis, we know that we never finished childhood!

​Congratulations, have fun!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Hey, thank you!! :-D

You know, I might be influensed, at least by me asked to go along with my best friend to purchase his Willy's Jeep in Tomrefjord last year, and another friend who asked me to help him bring home a ex. military GMC 6x4 truck a year before (You can see that truck in thread 'Bilens Dag 2015' (or what I called it).

Big guys-big toys ;-)

I really like the kind of cars like your MG, and come Saturday 6th June, I'm driveing to Sunndalsøra to take pictures at a classic cars meeting there. Guess some pictures will end up at CVF :-)

Comment

Funny thing just surfaced:

All (or most) of the Volvo Felt/Valp used in the Royal Norwegian Armed Forces were assembled at Raufoss factory.
          The cars with chassinumber 200 to 1849 came partially finished, about 70%, from Sweden to be completed at Raufoss. I got the one with chassinumber 1850, and so my vehicle is the very first Volvo Felt delivered from Raufoss completely built there! :-)
          Another thing, it was completed in June 1963 (not '62 as first mentioned), and in June 1963 I was born :-D

Then, 20 years ago, I drew a Volvo Felt and in my comment on the drawing I had written "Volvo Valp model 1963"

It's spooky, and I think I was ment to find and purchase this Volvo.

The guy checking these things for me is currently trying to find out if the car was assembled and diven out of the factory on the 18th of June in '63, if so...., well, I was born that exact day....

Comment

Finally, after a week of waiting..., my Volvo Felt came home!!! :-)

This is SO fun!!!!!

And here the Volvo is home safe :-D

Comment

Earlier today, the annual Fortets Dag (Open day at the Fortress) arranged by the historic military vehicle society and Kvalvik Fort took place. My Volvo came just a few hours late to participate, but during my visit at the fortress, I managed to try out the drivers position in another Volvo. I guess I was the happiest guy present, knowing that my very own Volvo was due shortly :-)

Comment

Great! Just remove the fabric on the sides and you got a perfect spottermobile!

Comment

• Sterkoder
                  Sterkoder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yes, I agree. But you know, we have our green winter here in this part of Norway. Today we had 2,5 degrees C and snow. I mean, 15th June!!!! :-(

If there was the subject "Happiness" in a photo competition you'd be the winner with #8!

Comment

Perhaps as there are sadly no entries so far for this month's competition I should change the subject from PHOTOS of a thing of beauty to PHOTOS of happiness? (ROLFL)
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Finally, after one week of standstill and waiting for parts, I was able to get my Volvo on the road again.

I spent the Sunday bent over the engine, changeing coil, distributor parts, cables, sparkplugs and all..., and thus there are fine ajustments to be done, I could not wait to take my car for a ride.
                    Most happy, after a week of sadness over the loss of her grandmother and my mom, was my daughter. I think we needed this "roadtrip" the both of us.

Comment

• Tommi
                      Tommi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great simplicity!
                      Fun detail to see a modern car key together with the Valpen keys! :-)

The modern Toyota key just has to be there, as I can't stand two different keyrings in my pocket ;-)

Anyway, I also try not to put on a Hawaiian-like shirt and a fancy coloured cap when I'm out driveing my Volvo Felt, so I got hokld of a fleece jacket from the historic military vehicles society.
                    One has to have a certain style :-)

After hours in the hot Sunday sun, I took my military friend out for a spin again... (iPhone pictures only)

Down the airport road

One happy owner

Over the Omsundet bridge, heading back home

The meter said 55 km/h, but it looks like the soundbarrier will be next :-)

A shadow from the past..., all though that sound a bit negative

Comment

That's wonderful, looks like "a bicycle ride in a car".
                      Last edited by Tommi; July 7th, 2015, 18:13.

Comment

Yesterday, a new fire extinguisher was mounted. I guess it's rather smart, as we talk about an old car with an old conventional straight forward gasoline engine (knock on wood).

Comment

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You've been visiting Mr. Clas Ohlson? :-)

• Sterkoder
                        Sterkoder commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, but not for the fire extinguisher. That I bought at a shop specializeing in fire protection and test/refill of such extinguishers.
                        I visited Clas Ohlson for bolts and nuts, only to find that you Swedes used inches and not millimeters to mount this vehicle ;-)
                        Volvo used some bolts in inches, some millimeters. I guess that's how it is to be neutral...? :-D
                    Working...
                    X