The Bergen Lightrail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bergen Lightrail

The new Bergen Lightrail has been operative since June 22, 2010.
    The opening have not been without problems, whith cars crashing onto the trams, the trams crashing into each other even before the opening, so at June 22 there was just 3 trams operative and they hed to open it with 30 min departure route

Now it's 10 min departure route with 9 trams delivered and in November all trams will be on the lines with 5/10 min route

204 on the opening day

View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

204 the next day at Nesttun

Comment

Thank you so much for bringing those images Tom!

The train looks really modern and beautiful: I just hope and pray taggers will leave them alone and not solicit them with graffiti. That would be a tragedy.

Here in Trondheim, there is only one tram in operation now, and there are talks on the town, that it might not be for long. They are in deep need of repair, funding and support: despite the high passenger numbers they are carrying every day.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Very interesting! It is a great pleasure to see the return of the trams. I hope that will be a great success. Thank you for these news!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Here in Trondheim, there is only one tram in operation now, and there are talks on the town, that it might not be for long. They are in deep need of repair, funding and support: despite the high passenger numbers they are carrying every day.
          Sound exactly like Sundbåten in Kristiansund a few years back, when it was close to being put to rest.
          Then it was reorganized, a new board started its work, all stones were turned to find out if we could use the two boats in other ways than just sail on a schedule from dock to dock..., and so on.
          Maybe the board of the Trondheim city tram should go to Kristiansund on an educational tour....?
          (Because our Sundbåt has turned minus into plus, and are at present time very popular).

Thank you for the posting of pictures from Bergen, Tom! Went there on a two day stay in July, but didn't see the city tram with own eyes, so pictuires are a second best here...
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I agree with you S, and if I'm not totally off, I think one of the only reasons why the tram still runs in Trondheim, is because one of the big names in the grocery industry in Norway has some interest in the line.

But, they need to be on own tracks away from the streets, and preferrably with more new material. The trams that they have today are worn and starting to become out-dated.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yesterday I was on a little Bergen Light-Rail walk
              Took the light rail to Fantoft and started walking down again
              Many interesting places along the rails

Start with Fantoft

Comment

Then over to Slettebakken and Slettebakkstunnel

Comment

Then we're at Sletten

Comment

Over to Wergeland and the Fageråstunnel

Comment

Kronstad

Comment

Now we're at Florida and Nygård

Comment

And I'll finish off down town

Comment

Originally posted by Tom McNikon View Post
                            Not surprised at all, but these are absolutely splendid images of the new rail system of Bergen.

Studying these images, I'm left with two question which someone might be able to fill me in at...:

1/ In the above image, at the rooftop of the rail, are those big boxes some kind of battery packs?

2/ What kind of noise level does these trams produces when passing? I wonder how the wheel suspension system works, and how noise is eliminated.

The reason for asking this second question of a more technical nature, is that the ageing tram of Trondheim is making a LOT of noise.

Comment

I don't know about the first question and not so much about the technical on the second either but on the outside they don't make much noise.
                              I could hear the in the morning, but it was quiet then. No complaints or minimal from the neighbors of the light rail. From the inside of the hoses you can just see it pass, not hear it

There has been some big noises from the inside on 3 of the sets, but people from Stadler is here to evaluate and try to fix the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X