Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Stobart comes to Bunga.y

Eat your heart out, meneer Vink!
    I couldn't believe my eyes, an Eddie Stobart passed my window about 8.30 this morning. I thought "Bet he's going to the woodyard up the road otherwise he would never come this way." Sure enough, he slowed and then began the laborious process of backing in. Parking in our street is on one side up to halfway and then the other side for the rest, and is quite legitimately placed within the markings, leaving just one lane with a halfway kink for traffic. But what makes it dangerous is that the whole street is curved so visiblity is more or less nil whichever way you are driving. You are often coming head to head with something from the other direction and then the fun starts.
    So trucks delivering to the woodyard need very skilful handling, much backing and forwarding, little by little so as to get in.
    I gave the truck time to get in and start loading and then went up for some shots. This was not to be missed.

At this point a woodyard chappie appeared and gave me a very quizzical look - meaning what on earth are you doing here? (Also probably implying that it was private property and a dangerous operation was going on, I might get hurt and Health and Safety regulations etc. etc.)
    I said that I must get some snaps of the truck and he didn't mind, did he? (Implying for heaven's sake, man, give a girl a break). He gave me up as a bad job and disappeared.

Last edited by wherrygirl; December 14th, 2013, 17:34.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

The woodyard makes fencing but also pallets and this is what was being loaded now. The forklift operator can be seen at the left.

Ivy

Comment

I've always been too embarrassed to start an Eddie thread! Some of them have lovely names - like this one ...

Don't know if you have a second name Ivy - but Grace seems appropriate!!

(Photo (c) Alan Sansbury's Flickr feed found via Google!)
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

The driver suddenly noticed me and, well...... I just had to, didn't I? "Smile please." He did and the photo shoot was over.

Ivy

Comment

You can see the problem here. Where the right rear of the truck is, there was a small van parked. Luckily it belonged to a local man who lived opposite, so the woodyard chappie knocked at his door and asked him to move his van.
          Then "Goodbye, Eddie Stobart."

Ivy

Comment

Marvellous piece of reporting Ivy

Comment

Eddie Stobart's staff seem to be crack drivers....and proud to be filmed by you Ivy.

Comment

This is calling two nice memories to me: first of course the summer vacation with lot's of Eddie Stobart trucks and this familiar location near the hair raising access to the campsite (everything seems to be a bit tiny in Bung.ay, even Ivy ) and second the access to the rear yard of a building i worked in about 15 years ago.

It was the best place to unload goods for a wine warehouse, which was in the basement of the building. Cars parking on both sides in the yard, not visible for the truck driver while reversing, the way downwards and a narrow street made this manoeuver to a thrilling experience. My office was nearby and i had a perfect view out of my window. Each second week a huge truck from France was arriving and the same procedure repeated: The truck was stopping in front of our building, the driver put on his shoes, got off the truck, pulled his pants up (which had no efford against the enourmous belly), and examined the situation in the yard. Then he returned to the truck, climbed in and lightened a Gitanes. Then he switched on the hazard lights, pulled forward on the street and pushed then backward in the yard in one go - having me always as an impressed spectator.

One day another driver came -- and ended up with a damaged car in the yard. Next time the old driver was back,

Unfortunately it is not possible to present pictures of this place. The company i worked for moved in a new building, the old building was demolished and today you find sausages exactly at this place in a new Aldi supermarket.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very funny description of a day-to-day life.I could imagine this scene filmed by Jacques Tati.

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                I've always been too embarrassed to start an Eddie thread! Some of them have lovely names - like this one ...
                Mark, do you have some Eddie Stobart photos? If so, don't be shy, why not put them on here? If you do, please add "and Beyond" to the thread's title. I had a look at the stobartsaddos.com site and they list all the names on there. I saw quite a few Ivy + ..... names and one with just Ivy. I did see a Stobart somewhere round this area a few months ago, my first ever, but after this one I probably won't see any more.

Don't know if you have a second name Ivy - but Grace seems appropriate!!
                Yes, I do have a second name, and a third come to that. I assume you mean Grace as in sweet smile + "oh, get out of my way, man"?

Thank you, Cecilia.

and proud to be filmed by you Ivy.
                Well yes, Yves...... I can understand that!
                Ivy

Comment

Hi - no, I don't have any Stobart photos. As mentioned on other threads, we do count 'Eddies' when we pass them though! We also enjoy the series on the TV - although we can' begin to understand why watching someone deliver fizzy drinks can occupy us for any length of time - but it does!!

"Will Fred make his delivery in time?", well probably, yes, and even if he doesn't the world will probably keep turning.

Think it's just the fun of watching a pleasant group of people who enjoy what they're doing and feel a sense of belonging to their well run, profitable, and committed Company. Pride in the appearance of such a big fleet really does come across.

Mind you we have the inside track (or is that 'truck') through our own DocuSoap: "Thijs: Trucks, Boats, Cameras, Little trucks and cute pets"!!
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• wherrygirl
                    wherrygirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I enjoy them, too. There was also one about laying a new stretch of railway track overnight somewhere. I haven't seen anything of the plane side of the business, but that's not so easy to document, I suppose.

I didn't refresh before posting, Ralf, so only saw your post afterwards.
                  Below are two pics., one showing a view up the street with the small pick-up reversing to let the bus down and then the other is the yard into which the truck reversed - the white van was not there then.

The main problem is the parked cars in the street. Without them there would be more room for manoeuvre. I have stood and watched other trucks having a desperate time trying to enter the yard.
                  Ivy

Comment

The photos on Flickr are certainly getting plenty of hits, must be plenty of Stobartsaddos out there!
                    Ivy

Comment

If Mark can get the tags problem fixed, then using tags as much as we can could help to attract more members to CVF. My pics. above averaged 60 hits each on Flickr in the first day. If they had come here then out of all those one or two may have stayed, you never know.
                      Ivy

Comment

so i got another truck fan,when see sees one in the neighberhood see hunt him.
                        seems a lot like our shipspotting Ivy.

but the park cars are Always a troubble, btw driving cars also.

i see a lot of eddies trucks,drivers neatly dressed including tie,it's a house rule there,summer or winter.
                        it's also a company whith there own fanclub,they had or still have parked a complete truck registrated aswel in there officelobby,
                        and the dutch registrated truck ,they have giving her a dutch name,Heidi.

dutch or deutch,just one latter differend
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

Collar and tie, yes, and if saluted while on the road they salute back. When I watch the various series on TV they sometimes show a particular festival of their's and that's when the fan club turn up waving their leaflets and demanding autographs. I should have taken a sheet of paper with me when I went out for the photos! As Mark said, they seem such a good-humoured crowd with great pride in their work. Well yes, they are on "telly", but their attitude seems genuine alright. I really enjoy the TV programmes just to see their skill in manouevring up narrow lanes and into tight entrances for their next drop.
                          Ivy

Comment

Working...
                          X