Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolf is sick and can not be used...

Rolf is sick and can not be used...

Had to go to town early this morning and upon return back home, I noticed a crackling noise from the engine. A mechanic in the neighborhood had a look at it and the culprit for the noise seems to come from the water pump, the timing belt, or another "thingy" which we in Norway call "drivereim"....

He said that this could be very expensive affair...

My first reaction was ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH: I do NOT need that kind of thing right now..... my next reaction was: ARRRRRRGHHH: noooooooOO!!!!

A quick phone call to the mechanics shops of Trondheim, and a warning was given: DO NOT USE THE CAR, DO NOT START THE CAR ANYMORE (until properly checked). Get a tow truck and tow it to their workshop for assessment... If I continue using it, the whole engine might actually be damaged...

Anyone interested in buying a large grey Opel Vectra fish tank?

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Oh...., remember a decade back...., or two, when we had old cars with a drivreim being torn off or something.
    It was just one thing to do, get the car into our back yard and start changing the "thing" ourselves.
    Today, no one can open the engine compartment hatch without studying data for a few years. One can do nothing at all to ones one car now.
    If it's a 'reim' which has gone to pieces, I hope it's the drivreim and not the register-reim. THAT is a hole other division when it comes to cost!!!!
    And if it's the register-reim, THEN you must never try to restart, never move the car so that the engine turns and so on, because when a register-reim goes, you can total an engine.

When you find the right garage to do the change, the operation is done almost at the speed of two snapping fingers + +
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      Oh...., remember a decade back...., or two, when we had old cars with a drivreim being torn off or something.
      It was just one thing to do, get the car into our back yard and start changing the "thing" ourselves.
      Today, no one can open the engine compartment hatch without studying data for a few years. One can do nothing at all to ones one car now.
      If it's a 'reim' which has gone to pieces, I hope it's the drivreim and not the register-reim. THAT is a hole other division when it comes to cost!!!!
      And if it's the register-reim, THEN you must never try to restart, never move the car so that the engine turns and so on, because when a register-reim goes, you can total an engine.

When you find the right garage to do the change, the operation is done almost at the speed of two snapping fingers + +
      My aunt came all the way from Surna to help me tow the car to the repair shop 10 kilometers away... I have given them my keys and hope to hear from them some time soon, but I guess not before the long weekend is over... on Tuesday May 18th at least.

I bite nails worrying how much this will cost in the end, but hope and pray that it won't be a serious thing... only time will tell I guess.

It's quite incredible how dependent you become on cars nowadays. I don't understand how people can be without one.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Well done to your aunt!!!
        I know it's no comfort, but norwegian prices are often between NOK 700-800,- pr. hour.
        A little funny detail, at Bertel O. Steen a service on a small Peugeot cost NOK 998,-/hr. while a service of a Boeing 737 at SAS cost NOK 600,-/hr.
        (Of course these two are not compareable at all, and a way to look at thing only VG could come up with).
        All the best to your "Rolf" then!!!
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Humph!! I've just paid out for two new front tires and tracking. £180 or NOK 1,627.58.
          I am not very amused at that price, and yet you can buy an old banger car that would last you a year for less than that.
          It can't be that much to produce a rubber tire can it?
          Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

So Rolf is at the "spa" getting a little work done?

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
              So Rolf is at the "spa" getting a little work done?
              Yeah, a Spa holidy for Rolf... no doubt.

Just got the call I've been waiting for. it was indeed the water pump which was the culprit to the rambling noises. They will have to change it, together with the "register reim"....

The expense will eventually land somewhere around 5-6 thousand NOK's...

But he said I was lucky... the engine was very close to total damage: the water pump was barely working, and would have gone with a big bang quite soon.

Now, to the "blond-moment" question: what is the water pump doing? Well, I know this much that it brings the cooling liquid around the engine, but cooling liquid for WHAT? And why would the "register reim" also have to be changed? Where is the connection...?

As you understand, I know not enough about car engines...

Comment

Would the "register reim" be the thermostat???? That senses when the engine is getting too hot, and tells the water pump to start cooling the engine.

I think the waterpump is the "thingy" that helps the engine cool. It moves the coolant in the radiator from the radiator around the engine, drawing the heat from the engine. When the pump fails, no cooling gets from the radiator to the engine to cool it down, and the engine heat really builds up. This causes the gasoline to preignite, or detonate, or other "thingies" that will crack your engine head, ruin the pistons, mess up the cylinders and otherwise make your engine not be an engine.

I think.

Comment

Are you an under-cover car mechanic??

Me. Impressed!

Comment

Living life with older cars....that's all...and watching enough "How It's Made" on Discovery...

Comment

Would the "register reim" be the thermostat???? That senses when the engine is getting too hot, and tells the water pump to start cooling the engine.

I think the waterpump is the "thingy" that helps the engine cool. It moves the coolant in the radiator from the radiator around the engine, drawing the heat from the engine. When the pump fails, no cooling gets from the radiator to the engine to cool it down, and the engine heat really builds up. This causes the gasoline to preignite, or detonate, or other "thingies" that will crack your engine head, ruin the pistons, mess up the cylinders and otherwise make your engine not be an engine.

I think.

I have tried to find the english word for "register reim" and the best I can find is timing belt which has the same function as the timing chain

Any help?
                      Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Oh, yeah...Timing belt is what we call it...that would be the "thingy" that actually runs the pump....gets it's power from the engine. Bad news if you throw a timing belt , Captain. Get it replaced!!! I know from experience. Autobahn. Germany. 1983. Heard it break...immediately turned off the engine and coasted to a stop. Saved the engine. But have never played Prince in the car since then......(long story).....

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          Now, to the "blond-moment" question: what is the water pump doing? Well, I know this much that it brings the cooling liquid around the engine, but cooling liquid for WHAT?
                          youre right in this lady E,but i doubt the preignite or detonate of the feul.
                          diesel/gasoline need a high pressure to detonate and the engine cant be hot that way,and benzine/petrol/gas needs a spark to detonate

the register reim is not the thermostat,but youre right about the working of it

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          And why would the "register reim" also have to be changed? Where is the connection...?
                          the register reim or as we cald it the distribution belt,(distributie riem) or timing belt is a reim /belt that connect the crankshaft to the camshaft,and the camshaft make youre valves open and close.

the connection where you surch for is,they have open the engine at the front to remove the waterpump so they also have to remove a lot of other parts of the engine.

a register/distribution/timing belt have to be replaced after a ±100,000km or 1a2 years (don`t nail me about that).
                          so now you had a highcost repair and over some months or km you have to bring rolf back to replace the timingbelt,and they have to remove everything again.
                          so it wil cost more now,but save you money later,now it`s done already,while the engine lays open already.

Oh, yeah...Timing belt is what we call it...that would be the "thingy" that actually runs the pump....
                          thats how they called it,but that don`t runs the pump,that task is given to the
                          fan-belt,that runs the fan ,the pump,the dynamo,the airco and so on

....gets it's power from the engine. B
                          both of the belts are powerd by the crankshaft

i had that shit with my timingbelt almost 2 years back,luckly at low speed,so no big damage in the engine,but had to replace another engine head (2000.00 euro) beeing cheap i ordert a used one a new one was doubble the cost and a renovated somewhere in between.

big mistake,the engine became from a nice engine to a oilcoholic.
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

.......Saved the engine. But have never played Prince in the car since then......(long story).....
                            I have time... interesting.

Comment

...and I was promised that Rolf would be back from his spa-vacation today...

I wonder if they hold their word... it's now half the way through the day, and nothing heard yet. They are changing the water pump and the timer belt....

With an upcoming EU control and change of a suspension on the forward wheel this coming Friday, his freedom will be short lived however. What an expensive week for car-upkeep!

Comment

Working...
                              X