The return of trams to Edinburgh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The return of trams to Edinburgh

My only previous forum posts in connection with the planned reintroduction of trams to Edinburgh have been in the Road Repairs thread, and although the disruption and diversions continue, there is now a new and very good reason for posting in this section. For there is now an actual tram on display, (not just a small mock-up demo version that was previously on show).

Having realised the tram had arrived in Princes Street, I took some photos as I was walking along there early today –couldn’t wait to show the tram enthusiasts among you, even though I have not yet had the opportunity to go inside.
    The tram seems really long when you see it in the street – seven sections with “concertina” type joins. It has been placed within barriers forming an enclosure in the middle of the road.

Looking in the other direction, westwards, you can see from the raised “platform” that this is what the actual tram stop will look like.

The classic head-on “pakarang view"!

Comment

No overhead lines to attach it to yet – seeing what happened during
      tram upgrading work in Blackpool
      early this year, I guess the wiring won’t be in place until the last possible moment!

Comment

It was this dreary dull weather the last time I took photos of the road works too! – but as the drizzle increased, I thought I’d pass these last few photos off as “artistic images” .

Comment

Comment

Before you all get overexcited, I had better add that a complicated dispute with the contractors still rumbles on, and it will now be at least 2012 before the first tramline is actually in operation.

Comment

Excellent Lady C... it does indeed appear extra-ordinary long...
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The train is indeed long, it is about 4m longer than ours here in Stuttgart. With seven sections it should be possible to pass narrow curves, i wonder, if there is a special necessarity in Edinburgh. Are there curvy tracks? We have only two sections here and even the old trains on the old curvy tracks had only three sections.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                  The train is indeed long, it is about 4m longer than ours here in Stuttgart. With seven sections it should be possible to pass narrow curves, i wonder, if there is a special necessarity in Edinburgh. Are there curvy tracks? We have only two sections here and even the old trains on the old curvy tracks had only three sections.
                  Well, Princes Street is straight! But I will keep a look out for bends as more track laying takes place.

Comment

The trams are now supposed to start in service in May! That’s four whole years of disruption, controversy and major changes of plan since I last posted in this thread.

And ...I missed seeing the test tram, but here is a link to a lime lapse version of the whole route run which took place a week ago.

Some of you might also appreciate a more real-time experience of the city centre section of the route which includes Princes Street:

Comment

Not unlike the new city trams, Bybanen, in Bergen. Regards Sigve.

Regards; Sigve.
                      ---
                      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Seems they have to practise a lot before starting regular service. They all have to get used to it... also the bus drivers.
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

They certainly will! It looked really quiet in the city centre on this video. But yesterday I was walking along Princes Street and it was difficult to imagine how the trams would get through at all. And just remember what it's like during the festival, Ralf!!!

Yves – the next tram test in the Murrayfield area of town would surely appeal to you! I will be away, or would have volunteered to take part!

Comment

FINALLY, after seven years and 776 MILLION POUNDS...

The Edinburgh trams started in service with paying passengers at 05:00 yesterday morning, Saturday 31st May 2014. I wasn’'t up and about quite that early, but took some photos later on in the day.

This was the first tram I saw as I walked along Princes Street. It is heading west to the Airport.

Comment

Here is the Princes Street tram stop. For those who know Edinburgh and the grid of streets in the city centre, it is located between Frederick Street and Hanover Street/The Mound.

The tram stop is in the centre of the street, serving both directions of travel. The trams seem really long! Those wishing to board this tram for the short remaining distance eastwards (two remaining stops) have already boarded, and these people are waiting to travel westwards.

The trams seemed absolutely full throughout the day - lots of families with excited children, locals fancying taking a tram on Day 1, transport enthusiasts, and the just-curious. The tourists didn't seem to know what to make of all the fuss, and this was no day to be heading for the airport with luggage. Every tram seemed standing room packed to capacity, resembling the London tube trains at rush hour. The sunny summer weather contributed to the holiday-like atmosphere and the crowds. I wondered how long it will be before the novelty wears off and what "normal" will be like.

The livery of Lothian Buses has changed since the exhibition tram on display in 2010, now more maroon than bright red. Edinburgh Trams who operate the new tram service are integrated with Lothian Buses.

Comment

Working...
                              X