Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Race?

Does anyone on the board race?

I have one clay (dirt) oval track 1 mile from my home and there are 4 others nearby. I lost most of my kart photos when my hard drive crashed a couple months ago but I found pictures of the last two bodys on my kart.

I consider both of these to be the same kart, though they have different bodies and engines. They are full "lay down" karts but you sit very low almost lying down. The bottom of the seat scrapes the ground when you hit bumps. No part of the kart (other than plastic from a wind screen) may be higher than 14 inches (35cm). There are many, many other rules but basically it is a go cart only faster. My feet would be way up in the nose of the kart. My knees are up on either side of the steering wheel so you look between your legs when you drive, and the back of my helmet was about in line with the back bumper.

Both karts have an overhead valve single cylinder engine. The type of engine that would be sold as a 6.5 horsepower to run a pump or generator. Many modifications are done inside and outside on the engine. The engine on the black kart followed the rules rather closely and ran on methanol (alcohol) while the engine in the orange kart was set to rapidly switch between methanol and 100 octane aviation fuel or an alcohol nitromethane blend.

The kart has only one gear so on a shorter track you start moving by slipping the clutch or on faster tracks you are push started. In all races we would start the race while moving so nothing was ever done from a dead stop. You would change the sprockets (gears) depending on race conditions, but you only have one so you had better pick the correct ratio.

I've had the orange kart to 103 miles per hour (165 kph) before I ran out of gear, and it would stick in a turn at over 3.5 g's on pavement and up to about 2.25 g's on clay (dirt). Racing on dirt/clay was the most fun since the track conditions constantly changed. You could start out the race driving on slippery mud then have several good laps where the track was perfect and you cold corner hard and go fast and then finish the race when it was dry, dusty and slippery.
    Last edited by pilotdane; December 24th, 2008, 22:45.

= that is me jealous.

Those carts must provide tons of fun and I think I would have the heart beating extra a few times if I were ever to press them to their true capacity.

That looks really, really fun! There should be more tracks like that around Norway in my opinion: maybe I could get some of my hyper activity out of my body before I get too old.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I would LOVE to go to that racecar driving school...and my family jokes that I will watch ANYTHING race.
      Not the typical girl (in case anyone still had that notion...) I have loved auto racing since I was little. One of the reasons I loved living in Germany so much..the autobahn.

And I have a passion is horseracing. Nothing makes me happier than being at a track for workouts at 5am....

LOVED the cart photos Dane.... How much fun to go so fast in something so small!!!!

Comment

They are tiny but fun.

Two years ago I did the BMW driving school at the factory in South Carolina. That was fun. Driving and beating up their Z4 and 330. I have never had anyone teach "... I want your foot all the way to the floor on the accelerator or brake. There is no gentle braking. Wait to the last minute and slam the brake to the floor... at the apex of the turn put the accelerator to the floor...). On the oval track I crossed the finish line in the Z4 sideways (not good, but it was fun).

Comment

Oh, that just sounds like WWAAAYYY too much fun. Not the kind of driving school I want my almost 15 year old to attend, though!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just send your daughter up here for a weekend at Camp Dane & Kelly. We offer power sliding, photography, target shooting, gourmet cooking and many diesel powered activities.

Should I mention that we took my wifes younger sister to Vegas for her 21st birthday...
            Last edited by pilotdane; December 27th, 2008, 05:09.

Comment

How much fun is that little thing!!! My brother in law is a pretty well known car designer. In the past he has tricked out some carts that were incredible to look at as well as fast to drive.

You are bringing back some fun memories...Thanks!

Comment

Re: Does Anyone Race?

My collegues at work will be attending a scrap car race this weekend. Of course they have a proper car, and a promotion video...

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                  My collegues at work will be attending a scrap car race this weekend. Of course they have a proper car, and a promotion video...
                  Are you attending...? Will we see any photos?

I used to race, many years ago.... mostly with Mitsubishi and Toyota pick up trucks... even with my beloved VIGO... (but not at full throttle with the VIGO, because I loved it more than any other car):

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    Are you attending...? Will we see any photos?
                    Sorry, I'll be home this weekend trying to catch up with stuff.
                    The web-page of the venue is here: http://www.skrotbilsrejset.nu/

Comment

Some of my working mates are ice-racing with modified mopeds. It's a veeeery local sport. Four Saturdays each winter there are races on frozen lakes around the small village Dunker.

Comment

Seems to be a lot of fun with a low budget!

Full album here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rotonen...68445753/show/

Comment

The front fender makes me think the tires are studded?

Comment

Yes, I that's correct. The front tires are studded to make it possible to turn. The rear tires are not, to keep down the speed.

Comment

Working...
                            X