No announcement yet.

trucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i drove 2,5 kilometer to a parking place and after decouppling the rear part of the chassis about 27 tons less weight i could lift that axle.

the darn thing was it's lowerts itself above 40 km/h.
    still had another 35 km to go.
    place a strech belt around the axle and chassis to keep it up that way.

( i'm not that great in selfies, i had this shirt clean on that morning, someone will be mad when i get home. but this you got crawling over and under a truck to place the strech belt)

and i could drive again,all in all it takes me 1.5 hour extra. drop the chassis there and went back for the rear part. by the time i was back they discharge the 20 tons of marple plates couppled everything together and they discharged the second container.
    back to Rotterdam drop the containers ,drop the truck at the company yard and went home.
    had a week of ,to work on the new HC

best regards Thijs

Comment

Is this a veteran, or do they still build them like this??:

Comment

• janihudi
        janihudi commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a veteran.
        This is a torpedo truck of the 3 serie.
        The model was build from 1988 till 1995.
        Though scania has a factory in Brasil, i don't think that this type still will be build there.
        The european factories don't build torpedo's anymore. Extra lenght of the "nose" costs lenght of the trailer.
        The torpedo's which are build now, are build by truck garages or customizers.
        Europe is to small for torpedo trucks

I really wish these would make a come-back some day, but I guess it's like waiting for Santa Clause to arrive, right?
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

the change that you will meat Santa Clause in person would be bigger J-O

company Janssen wanted a new torpedo for there anniversary ,they had/have the 2800 ntt

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...098#post215098

the contacted there DAF garage if they could build one.
        they did it,twice.
        it became the 0nly 2 torpedo trucks they had build, not much intrest for it. not pretty trucks eather

the only designed a bonnet for it and some pieces so it will all fit
        the cab was placed backwarts ,bumper stays the same only the bonnet and the topgrille was new
        best regards Thijs

Comment

the Iveco strator (only here it is called strator, the cab is a model of the stralis ,so a Iveco stralis torpedo. mixed the names and the STRATOR was born STRAlis TORpedo)
          a Iveco garage in holland saw the Australian Iveco torpedo and wanted them to sell them in Holland.
          this is a real Iveco factory model
          the australian model was with the narrow cab, the build them here with the wide cab
          the bonnets get delivered from Australia and the place them here on the truck
          remove the cab back at the chassis place the bonnet and new bumper .
          the only thing the made them self are the connecter parts to fitt the bonnet to the wider cab while the bonnet was designed for the narrow cab
          compared to the daf torpedo is this model well selled. not that there is one delevered every day though

best regards Thijs

Comment

Scania stopped with the torpedo models when they start delivering the latest model,the next gen
            many independent drivers wanted the topmodel of Scania the V8 and as a torpedo.
            but not available
            the dutch body work and body repair company Vlastuin ,designed a bonnet for it.
            they are selled well

best regards Thijs

Comment

Anything higher than a grasshopper would make a lot of dents in the front bumper of that Vlastuin. It's practiacally scraping the ground.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                Probably all axles have airsuspension.
                And is lowered for the photo. ( looks better )
                But the trucks in general are much lower to the ground then in the 80's.
                On daf 2800 ,the first i drove the bumper was 40 or 50.cm above the ground, the HC somewhere between 25 or 30 cm

• Tommi
                Tommi commented
                Editing a comment
                The reason for the lower bumbers is probably due to regulations. If there's an accident, they don't want normal cars to get stuck underside the truck, so they keep the bumper at the same height as the demolution zone for a normal car.
                The same does for the level of the headlights.
                If an independent company makes a "torpeedo kit" - like the Scania above - they will keep the lights and bumbers in exactly the same position as for the "normal" truck to avoid costs for re-certifying the truck.

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Thijs and Tommi. I appreciate why there are regulations governing the height of the bumper, but this one does seem to be exceptionally low and if the suspension was lowered just for the photo call I don't think it improves the look of the truck at all. Makes it seem as if something has collapsed somewhere. Torpedo trucks would never win in the streamlined stakes, but this one could do with a bit more air underneath ! With the state of many of our English roads nowadays I'd be worried about taking it out for fear of the damage to its bodywork when encountering the cracked and potholed surfaces.

Nice collection of torpedoes!

I never thought about the low trucks and that the reason is perhaps to avoid cars getting stuck under in case of an accident. Sounds reasonable.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                in a coupple of years the rear bumper had to be lowered too on new build trucks and trailers.
                to 30 cm i believe above ground.
                that will be fun, the bumper producers will be rich than
                when we have to park it at a dock, the ramp downwarts is at many places sp steep that bumpers will toch the ground,or touch the guiding blocks when we can't dock in a straight line

• pakarang
                pakarang commented
                Editing a comment
                I see this on the ferries too: new designs are introduced by young designers, that we, as professional seamen immediately see, will not work in practicality.

same truck with air suspesion up and from another angle and another road, ''much'' higher now

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor next gen scania torpedo

without the bumper spoiler, much more ground space

best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                #654.1 Much better, I'll accept that.

Since SUV's are so popular nowadays, could it also be a future trend with trucks? Mercedes has something to offer: the Zetros.

No problems with curbs of any height anymore!!!

csm_Agrotrucks_S.80_1_opt_6dfc87a041 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                but with those tyres it won't be fun all day on the road.
                see the HC thread Ralf, crashed the tank again today

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              Since SUV's are so popular nowadays, could it also be a future trend with trucks? Mercedes has something to offer: the Zetros.

No problems with curbs of any height anymore!!!

Oh, my goodness, that is one awesome truck I have to admit. Probably not too comfortable, but darn, never seen anything like it.

Comment

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                you have to see it more as the a heavyer Unimog, J-O
                it's more of a work truck than a transport truck

Could be useful if you need to pick up lumber far off the road. I guess.

Comment

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                For that it's a great truck

didn't take many images of the truckshow,the first round i made for the images i tried not to go into the sun.
              before i start the second round when the sun was turned ,some trucks already went away, more or less the flower trucks. they had to load for there start at sunday

though a Norwegian truck, a Dutch (frisian) driver. the crew of the truckshow met him at the truckstop nearby ,and told him about it. instead of gooing home ,he spent the saterday at the show

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The one above is the Norwegian one, presumably, complete with Viking horns. Bet he was pleased to find himself in the right place at the right time!

• janihudi
                  janihudi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nonono.he had a viking helmet but it,s not the norwegian truck. That's the one in #658.1

best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                X