Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thai movie: Behind the painting ( ข้างหลังภาพ )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thai movie: Behind the painting ( ข้างหลังภาพ )

Behind the painting.

ข้างหลังภาพ

I would like to mention this most wonderful movie that I have ever seen: not only once, but most likely a half-hundred times already. For those that don’t mind a beautiful love story such as the one projected in the movie “Titanic”, then this Thai movie (with English subtitles) will be well worth spending the time watching. If you are not into movies, then it can also be found in paperbacks on the Internet with reputable vendors such as Amazon.

Behind the Painting (Khang Lang Phap) is a movie heavy on romance and melodrama. Surprisingly, it is very effective.

Kirati (Kara Polasit) is a pretty young lady from the royal family in Thailand who despairs about never being married. As she grows older, her frustration increases and she marries Chaokoon (Art-Ong Jumsai Na Ayudhya), a businessman who is old enough to be her father. She realizes it's not love, but she devotes herself to him.

Kirati's feelings are thrown into conflict when she runs into Nop**** (Theeradej Wongpuapan), who is entrusted to take care of her by Chaokoon. They both fall in love with each other and while Nop**** is not shy about expressing his feelings, Kirati stays true to her moral compass.

Years pass and Kirati's husband falls ill with tuberculosis and dies, while she stays by his side, exposing herself to the dangerous disease. She is then free, but Nop****, whose heart has been hurt too much, resigns himself to a life without love and marries another lady. Kirati loses her will to live and as her condition deteriorates, her thoughts turn to Nop**** who finally realizes his folly and spends her last remaining days with her.

The movie retails at about US$12.00 on the net, such as for example here (not affiliated in any way with CaptainsVoyage): http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.2724/qx/details.htm

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Well, I have you to thank for this title..but, because I am a reader, I got the short novel/long short story instead of the movie. I want to see the movie now, because it seems from your description that they added a bit to the plot.

In the original work (by Siburapha and translated from the Thai by David Smyth) which is set in the mid-1950's, it doesn't mention the husband's illness, just that he dies in the interval between their meetings.

That being said, it was a truly beautiful and moving story...in a very quiet and subtle way. Maturity versus youth, wisdom versus folly, patience versus rashness... all written in a very calm, reflective and almost regretful style. Almost like Chekhov-(my 21st century self wanted to shake these two people who obviously love each other so deeply out of their inertia--just as I am wont to do with some of Chekhov's characters....) He also reminds me of Pat Conroy ("Prince of Tides", "Beach Music", "My Losing Season").

And like all good love stories, the eternal question of "what is happiness" runs all though the 125 pages. The introduction says that "Behind the Painting" is widely regarded as one of the best-written novels in the Thai language." Knowing only one word of Thai, I have to rely on the translation, which I found beautiful.

It's on Amazon, here-
    http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Paintin...4458395&sr=8-1

but be warned to have your handkerchiefs handy...

There are three other short stories in the book-and I am looking forward to reading those as well.

Comment

Thanks E.... I knew you would fall for this epic love story, as much as I have: more than 50 times at least.

When it comes to romance/ difficulties in life/ questions about the meaning in all hopelessness, this movie really gets me going each and every time.

Off course you got to see the movie as well: it's got Thai and English subtitles in case your Thai isn't up to par: and it is really delicately translated. I used this tape a lot as well when trying to learn more Thai because both the main characters, use a version of the Thai language which is way more polite than the average native Thai speaker.

And as you know E, I'm eternally fond of people able to master an almost regal politeness all throughout.

It may not come as no shock that the person playing Nop****, actually is incredibly polite also in real life.

Thanks for taking time to read this book!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Problem...I don't think the movie will work with stupid USA dvd players....

Not that this surprises me...mobile phones, dvds, tv shows...grrrr

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
          Problem...I don't think the movie will work with stupid USA dvd players....

Not that this surprises me...mobile phones, dvds, tv shows...grrrr
          A small hack (a quick fix) to your DVD player by a local technician can take care of that. My DVD changer was only set to PAL as well, but a a few minutes job opened it to all kinds of systems.

When it comes to DVD-regions, it is an incredibly annoyance why the world can't use one single standard!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            by a local technician can take care of that.
            No technician's in Middle-Of-Nowhere!

Comment

Darling Lady E, did you ever get to see this movie or find it available on a player which works in your home?

I watched this movie again last night, and again this morning, and it is still my absolutely most recommended movie ever. It's just so wonderfully shot and told, and it brakes my heart each time I see it...

Comment

Nope, but the book itself was soooooo good......

Comment

must investigate the hack for one of the computers...

Comment

I ought to have thanked you for this recommendation long ago pakarang, for it was so very much appreciated. Though I am in reverse – for I saw the film but have not yet read the book. I think I was expecting the kind of light romantic escapism though tear-jerking sort of film, but found it to be more than that. So it took me unawares at the wrong time in an unsettling way. Much later I was thinking now I’d appreciate seeing it again, but then thought no, I should read the book first. And that’s where I am - just haven’t got around to doing so yet.

Comment

I must admit that I love the movie for so many reasons: because of the way Nop**** speaks as one of the largest reasons. He uses a kind of royal-Thai language which is a much more polite way of the Thai language. He is also very gracious and moves slowly: a reflection of a well balanced, well behaved and very educated person.

Secondly, Kirati is a very beautiful lady, both in the movie and in real.

Thirdly, I love the scenes, songs, sounds, and atmosphere the movie is shot/set in.

Plus a lot of other reasons too many to mention here.

Highly recommended.

Comment

Re: Thai movie: Behind the painting ( ข้างหลังภาพ )

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        I must admit that I love the movie for so many reasons: because of the way Nop**** speaks as one of the largest reasons. He uses a kind of royal-Thai language which is a much more polite way of the Thai language. He is also very gracious and moves slowly: a reflection of a well balanced, well behaved and very educated person.

Secondly, Kirati is a very beautiful lady, both in the movie and in real.

Thirdly, I love the scenes, songs, sounds, and atmosphere the movie is shot/set in.

Plus a lot of other reasons too many to mention here.

Highly recommended.
                        My take on the movie:

Comment

Working...
                        X