No announcement yet.

Thailand: Once Upon A Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful photos and I love your views of Thailand. There are too many to comment on individually but I'm jealous of the home in paradise.

I know how you feel about the airlines. I recently flew with Delta and and the very end of the terminal four gates had flights departing at the same exact time, 7:00am. Agents stepping on each other making announcements. Not enough gate agents so they were running back and forth. Stupid passengers getting in the wrong lines... Could you create a more confusing situation than have four gates next to each other departing at the same time? How hard would it be to stagger the times?

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      ....His looks was at first a bit scary - kind of the person you wouldn’t want to meet in a dark back alley in the middle of the night, but he was very nice—- first impressions are not always correct I suppose
      Well, over the years, I'm kind of a big believer in my own first impressions.
      Anyway, I relished your description, but just imagine for a moment what his first impressions of you might have been!!!! He was surely more likely to be scared? ...intimidated? - no that's not really the right words. Just needed time for surprise-shock recovery - He's just encountered this unusual guy who's so unlike the backpacker farange type he was probably expecting. A guy who speaks fluent Thai, and makes extraordinary and awesome requests!

Yes, images from the Quad would have been amazing, but I totally understand your concern. Interesting questions and a topic that could be well worth following up in one of the avation threads sometime.

So to the new additions. I recollect seeing something about that Oceanworld, though didn't get as far as the basement - too absorbed in the radio station's big "Being Thai is cool" event. Naturally for me these images make me think of "Deep Sea World", just beside the Forth rail bridge at North Queensferry, which also has a walk-through tube. I very much like your #130/1 which would be great for Oceanworld’s publicity material or brochures.
      Well caught cutie in #129, but he has strong competition for Lady C Favourites!

As for C-favourites of the skybar cityscapes, I'll be back to this thread time and time again and still unable to choose. I like identifying the landmarks I know and those I don't, and I'm glad you repeated views in some directions as it got later and the light changed.

Though mostly in this first look-through, I was swept along with the feelings of farewell and the complexity of emotions of that evening.

But amongst all these things I was stopped in my tracks as #144/3 scrolled into view...
      Right by the river, below and to the right of the Lebua Tower in this photo, is the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. You can make out the original old building by the boat landing pier. But I am looking at the rectangular block beside it, right in the foreground of your photo. For on the corner of that block called the River Wing, on the 12th floor, I can see MY HOME for my last night in Thailand!

I'd actually intended to stay at the Hilton (as I'm in their frequent-stay scheme), but then the opportunity came up to experience a night in a suite at the Oriental. It's all in the hotel thread for any new forum readers, but there is one image I want to post right here right now... it is the reverse view of yours, Jan-Olav, from my corner suite balcony looking at your Millennium Hilton 360 Bar:

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      There is one more thing to respond to in this thread in due course, but now, with this photo-present to you dear Jan-Olav, comes all my thanks and things way-beyond mere appreciation and words for all you have shared here.

Comment

O.K. that is an explanation for your new allergy against Lufthansa. I can understand that very well and this is the main reason why i don't like to fly in general. Always this waiting areas, long ways through terminals, sudden crowds and trouble if something is moving since hours! We made similar experiences on our last flights and felt treated like cattle (and there it was SAS). In the end all worked out well, but there has also been the experience of a lost suitcase on another trip, postponed flights and unsafe connections... i don't like it.

In a car you've at least the feeling of being independent, in a plane i just feel like a piece of cattle.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang
          Look, an empty plot!

If I was still working here in Bangkok, I would most likely work on taking control over that land for my employer.

Do you remember this vacant plot in Bangkok?

Plans are now approved and building will soon start for some pretty amazing condominiums!

http://iconsiam.com/

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Realizing that very few click on links that I share, here are instead some images I found, about the project mentioned in previous post:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I ought to have commented on that link earlier pakarang. It had led to what I might describe as a fine video-essay on the subject of the Chaophraya river, very beautifully made and put together. Both inspirational and subtly aspirational, it is far removed from brash real-estate advertising. The link doesn't seem to lead into that video now, so (unless it is still hidden there somewhere in the menus) maybe it was intended to only do so on a first time click. I'm trying to recollect if it was the 'tag line' "The icon of eternal prosperity" that appeared at the end, the only hint that this was an advertising video, but I’'m sure that if you were proudly Thai and super-prosperous you would have been drawn in, and it would have had you getting your name down for a condominium right there and then!

I'm sure that posting the image with the annotations indicating the location of the plot in relation to hotels in the area should be interesting even for those not too familiar with Bangkok. It adds context to your photos perfectly, pakarang, and mine too as in #152 which I took when staying at the Oriental Hotel - now part of the Mandarin hotel group whose fan-shaped logo is used in the annotated image.

I have also had to opportunity, from staying across at the Peninsula hotel, to get a feeling for what kind of amazing views await the future residents of this impressive development.

Comment

Indeed.... if I had been born with a golden spoon in my mouth, and had a super-rich dad, I would have chosen a river side condo as my number one choice of places to live in Bangkok.

The air is wonderful there, the view of River of Kings is spectacular to say at least, and all the shipping-traffic would have given me thousands of hours of relaxation.

Perhaps in my next life, perhaps....

Comment

Working...
                X