This is Phitsanulok

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Phitsanulok

In November 2011, I visited the town of Phitsanulok for the first time while staying for several days in Sukhothai, some 60 km away. This was in itself a little unusual, for it is Phitsanulok that is a major transport hub, rail as well as road. The guide books are therefore directing most tourists on a day trip from Phitsanulok to Sukhothai to visit the Historical Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Incredibly, I have also read that there is little of interest in Phitsanulok for a foreigner, nothing at all special. But then I have never been a typical tourist…

I was choosing to spend several days in old Sukhothai, within walking distance of the park, exactly because I felt that the day spent in the area on a previous tour holiday in Thailand had merely been a taster, rather than the oft quoted “a day is all you need” or even “more than enough time”. And my journey to Phitsanulok was something I had for some time felt determined to do, a kind of pilgrimage…. and one that I was not making only for myself.
    When I boarded the bus at Sukhothai bus station I was satisfyingly the only foreigner. The bus was due to leave, and so, after a pleasant journey, the first photographs I took that day are of the bus station on arrival at Phitsanulok.

A bridge over the Nan River.

Comment

Tuk tuks line the road along the riverside.

Comment

Across the road is my destination, a temple, the Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat, also sometimes known as Wat Yai. It houses one of the most important, revered and sublimely beautiful Buddha images, the Phra Puttha Chinnarat.

I doubt my ability to find adequate words to describe my feelings on having reached here, and the profound impact of this moment on so many levels.

So perhaps it is best if I simply share some pictures with you.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Re: This is Phitsanulok

All astoundingly rich and beautiful photos, Cecilia, yet my two favourites are #4.2 and #11.1, their simplicity has great impact.
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Re: This is Phitsanulok

Naturally the temple pictures are not really my favourites. But that pittoresque bus station is fascinating, like an open garage. Cool. Could be the example for a new Playmobil building...
                            Interesting also this type of Tuctuc. The type sign looks like Nissan, but i am sure it's not. Could you please have a look on your original sized picture? I am sure it is possible tor read the name on the type plate. Could you do this little service for a vehicle geek like me?
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                              ....Could you please have a look on your original sized picture? I am sure it is possible tor read the name on the type plate. Could you do this little service for a vehicle geek like me?
                              But of course!
                              Actually I rather like the results, somewhat tastefully cropped as photos rather than just to read the lettering. Given all the megapixels thrust upon us by the camera manufacturers these days, perhaps this could even be the start of something in our photography section threads – show a photograph straight from your camera, and then see how many interesting photo images you can create from it!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X