Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sad side of Thailand

The sad side of Thailand

I presume for the most part, only Lady C and E comes to this corner of the forum. This post would be an exercise in your emotions.

As the both of you very well knows, Thailand was my home for a LOT of years, and the country was and still is an important part of my life. Thailand is the country which I feel the most comfortable in, by far and as opposed to Norway.

There is a lot of beauty to Thailand, and there is no country (and people) I love more in the whole world. But, as in many countries, there are also sad sights, and unfortunate people.

I came across this thought provoking photography site and would like to share it, and hear what are your opinions on it....

Before more is said, and before we hopefully start share our thoughts, please have a look at these below links.

> Images: http://ohmphotography.com/index.php?...ject/underage/

> Video: http://ohmphotography.com/index.php?/film/underage/
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Re: The sad side of Thailand

This post was deleted by self.
    Last edited by Sterkoder; November 10th, 2011, 08:36.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thanks for replying to the post Sterkoder...

My point is not the "naked men" though, but rather the sad plight of people that has absolutely no future, no education and not even money to buy the bare necessities to survive, such as food.

It is really, really sad.... no, not sad, perhaps totally TRAGIC that there is no system in the society to help these children. It is extremely heartbraking to hear their stories, and to learn about their depserate situation. I have so very often seen these kids roam the night-streets of Bangkok, and each time, I have thought how sad their future must look. Giving them money would not solve any problem at all, because as soon as they get a few Bath worth of currency, the only thing they'll ever buy is glue and paint thinners for sniffing. It's way cheaper than food, and keeps hunger away...

That is the sad thing, and that is my point...

What in the world can WE do for the "street children" of Bangkok, and any other town and country in the world?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Deleted by self.
        (I'm not in the habit of deleting own posts, but this time..., I'm far from having anything sensible to say about the subject. Sorry for this! You might remove my postings here all together if possible J-O).
        Last edited by Sterkoder; November 10th, 2011, 08:38.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The tragic situation of these children is indeed repeated in so many – far far too many – towns and cities the world over, and how best we can help them an issue of truly global dimensions in human society. Clearly so much to discuss, and not just here in the Thailand section.

But may I in my limited time right now focus specifically on reactions to the indeed thought provoking photography site you have shown us, pakarang, and which you asked for our opinions of.

I couldn’t help thinking about photographers seeking to portray similar desperate people in other parts of the world…we have all seen such images at some time or other, and they fit much in the “shocking images” category. I’ve been trying to understand why these images from Thailand are different.

It is a generalisation, but to me Thai people, men and women, are beautiful. I am not speaking in a s exual way (though prostitution and its many repercussions can so sadly be a consequence of such poverty). Rather I am meaning a natural grace and elegance and beauty in body language, movements and gesture.
          I remember an image you once took pakarang of a boy passing the time relaxing in his boat as he waited for more customers to take across the river, and I saw myself that same pose and poise time after time during my later first travels in Thailand, and remembered your image.

In the ohmphotography images it is so easy to imagine a stylish shirt or jacket thrown with artful casualness over those bare shoulders and we could be at a fashion shoot….that is until we see the desperation in those eyes. It is that apparent contradiction that the photographer is using to communicate his message, and had I time I would pick out those I feel to be most successful. These images are very Thai, and Thailand is about contradiction and opposites in so many ways.

So yes I admire this site, though just wondering if its Thai-ness is perhaps a little to subtle for some westerners (I was about to say “especially those who have not experienced the country first hand…but then shudder in embarrassment as I recollect some sightseeing-tourists’ behaviour and total lack of empathy in many a Bangkok temple).

The video perhaps gets the message across a little more forcefully, although personally I am admiring its subtlety and understatement – in the image itself, in the simple subtitles also. And then in those eloquent captions …name…age…length of and reason for prostitution…dream…
          It is somehow in the responses to that “Dream” that I am brought back to think about the wider global issues for human society and our response as individuals.

Comment

Dear Lady C,

Thank you so very much for your insightful reply. I loved reading that, thank you very much.

Yes, to me as well, there is something "really Thai" about the site and the way the images/videos are done. This is a very typical Thai (SE Asian?) way of describing the 'problem' (?). The desperation in the eyes of these poor young children is for me easy to see, and I can feel their dis-pear, much because of my own experiences in that country for so many years.

As you pointed out, Thailand is all about contradiction, and quite possibly also, about standing out, and doing something a different way. Telling a story from another viewpoint.

I 'm very much in agreement with you on the point that it would possibly be hard to properly judge such a site from someone that hasn't visited, OR LIVED, in the country for many years. That is why I like to create the discussion here as well, to learn how such sites are seen in Norway, and outside of Thailand.

These images, and the video, takes me back to the time when I worked in a fully Thai real estate company as a foreigner and as a PR Manager... the times when we went out to the poorer regions of the country donating time, work and supplies to very poor childrens schools. We did that several times a year. And it did something to me as a person. Also, spending a LOT of time in the poorer villages of Kanchanaburi and also the North East, meeting and hanging out with people in all age groups for extended times to learn how they live, what they values, how they pass time, how they do stuff, how they interact, and how they look at the world (and how they look at foreigners). These are all experiences which has made me respect humanity in a totally different way, no matter what their convictions are and what their values are.

I could go on at this subject for a very long time but I'm not going to continue writing a long boring reply that only a few will understand and take time to read.

But, all I want to say, is that all my 13 years living in Thailand, and 16 years in South East Asia, has done something profound with me. Given me a much deeper respect of people of all "sorts" - no matter what. These are the people, the poorer people of Thailand for example, that has shaped me into what I am today.

Comment

Working...
            X