Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2006 Bangkok Time Lapse Project

My 2006 Bangkok Time Lapse Project

This is a video I made out of some 2974 individual clips. The short film was shot from my 19th floor balcony in Bangkok in February of 2006. This was the last weekend before I moved up to the 32nd, 33rd and 34th floor.

What you see is the Patumwan area: the then brand new Platinum Mall to the left and and the World Trade Center to the right.

The video shows the scene from 0600 in the morning till 1900 hours in the evening. Notice how fast the sun sets and how fast the darkness arrives.

Enjoy my little production.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

That’s brilliant. I don’t actually remember you mentioning this before when we’ve had talk of “same view/different times” kind of things. 2974 is an awesome quantity! Did you put it all together soon afterwards or more recently?
    SO impressive to see the very professional looking opening titles, and that “Captains Voyage.com proudly presents…..” sent a thrill feeling tingling down my spine (and that was even before that line in Nao which always does that to me anyway)…..it goes really well with the images.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      That’s brilliant. I don’t actually remember you mentioning this before when we’ve had talk of “same view/different times” kind of things. 2974 is an awesome quantity! Did you put it all together soon afterwards or more recently?

SO impressive to see the very professional looking opening titles, and that “Captains Voyage.com proudly presents…..” sent a thrill feeling tingling down my spine (and that was even before that line in Nao which always does that to me anyway)…..it goes really well with the images.
      I just put it together the last week: it's been a project in the making for almost 5 years, so about time I finished it!

I might create more CaptainsVoyage.com movies in the future, if this is well received.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Had a lot of problems compiling this video, but restarting the computer solved the problem... apparently, the nearly 3000 individual clips takes a lot of space:

Comment

Fantastic job Jan-Olav, that's turned out very well indeed.
          I was keeping my eye on the river, quite a bit of traffic running up and down. I also noticed just how busy that small yard just to the right of the river was, trucks of somesort in and out all the time.

So strange seeing a complete day pass so quickly.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Thank you very much Steve,

Yes, the canal (or KLONG as it's called in Thai) is a very busy water way. The klong / canal is called Saen Saeb and has been running through Bangkok for hundreds of years, but the scenery around the canal, has changed dramatically since the dawn of day. I love the Saen Saeb canal, despite it being terribly polluted, there is a lot of history to it. It's been a part of Bangkok for as long as man has lived in the area.

The small yard that you mention is a concrete plant: they produce concrete for the condominiums and other buildings which are being erected in the nearby areas. It was active 24/7, even at night, because the trucks could deliver the concrete faster at night since there were no traffic then.

Thank you for taking time to watch my clip and for your honest observations.

Comment

Just think how interesting it would be if you could leave a camera in the same position for 50 years, just taking one frame per day. Then at the end of those years making a short video out of all the images capture over time. How fascinating it would be to watch a city grow. (Bit of a long project though)
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                Just think how interesting it would be if you could leave a camera in the same position for 50 years, just taking one frame per day. Then at the end of those years making a short video out of all the images capture over time. How fascinating it would be to watch a city grow. (Bit of a long project though)
                Interesting idea actually... imagine for an even longer time, let's say 100 years?

Especially this location: a hundred years ago this canal was surrounded by rice paddies and coconut trees, and people living on what the canal could provide.

Comment

Working...
                X