No announcement yet.

Lady C's Thailand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are creatures combining parts of various animals, often representing different elements, as in this part elephant part fish. I think it is a Kunchorn Waree, as it appeared to have only the front legs of an elephant (whereas a Waree Kunchorn has the whole body of an elephant with fish parts attached).

If you have visited Thai temples there are many mythical creatures here that may be familiar, for example the half man half bird Garuda, the half woman half swan Kinnaree and its male equivalent, lions, and Naga serpent. The more one learns of the mythology and traditions the greater the appreciation of the art.

Comment

There are 8 standing and as many as 32 kneeling devas - celestial beings - decorating the higher levels of the crematorium.

Comment

Absolutely wonderful images of something that is no more.

Within time, the value of such great images will only increase for their historical value. What you saw and experienced there, was something truly historic.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

In the exhibition "Paintings from Heaven" in one of the exhibition pavilions, I had the opportunity to appreciate the subtle delicacy of the paintings on the Fireguard Screens.
          This is an example of details from one entitled "Deities assembled to pay homage to His late Majesty".

Comment

Throughout my visits, I marvelled how the Royal Crematorium seemed to respond to every small variation in weather and changing light.
            Memorably brassy and sombre against dark grey fast-moving clouds.
            Or perhaps pale yellow, as if acknowledging the King’s colour, after the rain.

And here, in another unforgettable moment, suddenly resplendent in the most glorious gold.

Comment

Sometimes the sunlight was more fleeting, indirect, reflecting off the Naga serpent of the staircase handrails.

One of the exhibition pavilions had provided the opportunity to see the Naga heads at close quarters.

In the main exhibition hall there was a reconstruction of the King's work desk, complete with computer.

Comment

And so I found myself looking out from the windows of the exhibition hall in the changing light of late afternoon

Outside, lights were coming on, reflected in the water lily ponds. There was a special mood in the approaching dusk - everyone seemed affected by it, and a kind of hushed stillness descended

...and then it was the blue hour - the blueness of water and sky enveloping the gold of Mount Meru.

Comment

This was it - the image and viewpoint I had most wanted to capture.

Comment

And finally here is a special image that I had not anticipated.
                    I have read somewhere that the brief for the craftsmen and artists tasked to create the sculptures of the devas was that they should look as if they were alive.

On seeing this it seemed to me that they had succeeded, for it was not too fanciful to imagine a shift of the fingers of hands as they continued to support the weight of the lamp, or a slight movement of lips and eyelids...

Comment

And then it was night.

Comment

There are some truly amazing and beautiful shots you have shared here. My heart gets filled with so much love seeing these images, it was a very emotional visit to this place.

I have a really great interest and affection for "paintings from heaven" as you shared above. I'm in contact with a local painter in Thailand to make me a special piece. I have very specific demands as to how it should look, and once we both agree on the final design, he'll get the go-ahead to create it. I just want it to be truly special, perfect and one-of-a-kind.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you pakarang, and I am sure you know that your appreciation of these images means a great deal to me.

What an amazing project you have begun with the Thai artist. I am so fascinated about what your special ideas and specific design might be like! Please do let me know how it all progresses won't you.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                            Thank you pakarang, and I am sure you know that your appreciation of these images means a great deal to me.

What an amazing project you have begun with the Thai artist. I am so fascinated about what your special ideas and specific design might be like! Please do let me know how it all progresses won't you.
                            Thank you so much too, for your everlasting support. Without your appreciation, I would probably not have continued posting. I guess we all need some kind of recognition, some sort of appreciation and some level of knowing that the things we do is noted and appreciated.

I have been in contact with the Thai artist for quite a while. It started quite casual, but has turned into a bigger project than I anticipated. I just want that one unique piece on the wall, that manifests my beliefs and my ideas, and yet is still fully Thai and traditional.

Comment

Working...
                            X