No announcement yet.

Lady C's Thailand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine being the very last person to check out of the hotel on its closing day!

Here's a view I took from an upper level looking down onto the main lounge area and right through to reception in the distance.

Comment

Comment

The lounge looks out onto a leafy garden featuring a waterfall cascade and pleasant terrace bar.

Comment

Comment

Being the last one to check out from this hotel on the final day is close to the thought I had on SS Norway a couple of decades ago: imagining the last departure from Miami, the last dispatch of the Miami pilot and the last cruise down to Caribbean. History later showed that nobody knew that would be the last cruise, the last arrival - suddenly her life was dramatically cut short. So is life. Always changing.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, and similarly we have had such thoughts on seeing some images in the "Abandoned houses and properties" thread.

No one anticipated what was about to happen to the Norway.
              A fascinating twist here is that there would have been bookings made at this hotel specifically for the last night, 15th/16th April this year, which it seems now won't be the last ...

I like this view looking down from the 19th floor of the hotel onto the area around the hexagonal swimming pool, located above the waterfall.
            Such cutting-edge Modernist architectural design at the time.

Comment

It might not have been immediately obvious from my earlier photo from across the park lake, but the main building of the hotel is not square in plan, but triangular. I had been upgraded to a Heritage Suite, located in the corner of the triangle. They all have different designs with décor that alludes to Thailand’s historic kingdoms.

Comment

My room was on the 19th floor and was where the photo of the swimming pool was taken from. In another direction I looked over Lumpini park.

Comment

Such a familiar area (around the hotel) and so unfamiliar inside.... I don't even remember if I have ever been inside, and if I have, I can't remember when it could have happened.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
                    Seagull commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Always fascinating to see familiar places from a different perspective.
                    I suppose it's possible you may have been inside for some kind of business meeting long ago. There are lots of small business meeting rooms. But here in my daily posts I shall later include some photos I was able to take in the largest area they use for conferences and exhibitions.

Entering the hotel at the entrance for the reception desk, there is immediately to the right the area used for major functions. On the left of this photo, doors lead into the ballroom itself, but at this time it was being used for exhibitors stands and sessions for a big tourism conference.

Comment

Conference refreshments

Comment

Comment

Benjarong Thai Restaurant

Comment

I think there are some seven or eight restaurants in the Dusit Thani Hotel - (I dined in the Thai and the Vietnamese) - as well as a number of cafés and bars.

Comment

My room included access to the facilities of the club room..Here is my favourite corner of the pleasant lounge for early evening drinks and canapes. There are also tables where one can have breakfast, and an outdoor terrace.

Comment

Working...
                            X