Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travels in Thailand #4: Suphanburi and Sam Chuk.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travels in Thailand #4: Suphanburi and Sam Chuk.

This thread continues the story of my travels in Thailand in the threads:-

Travels in Thailand #1: Bangkok
    Travels in Thailand #2: The provinces of Samut Songkhram, Ratchaburi and Nakhon Pathom
    Travels in Thailand#3 : Kanchanaburi
    Last edited by Seagull; December 15th, 2012, 18:19.

Suphanburi

On the road again, as I leave Kanchanaburi behind and head off along the road towards U Thong.

My guide had taken time to explain the intended route, for it was his intention, over the next three days, to deviate from the itinerary plan as originally stated in the brochure. This change pleased me for I had all along been puzzled by a day of driving all the way north to Uthai Thani and back south to Ayutthaya for the next two nights stay. Moreover, some additional visits might even be possible.

And so after an hour and a quarter or so, we arrived at the town of Suphanburi.

Comment

I remember how pleased I was that there would be plenty of time to visit a temple there – Wat Pa Lelai where there is a large seated Buddha known as Luang Pho To. This was originally in the open air, the Wihan, shrine hall, which now covers it being a later addition. I gazed up at the vivid colours and bright lights of the ceiling. The roof, and perhaps much of the building, didn’t seen quite straight somehow, and I thought to myself I must remember that or I may later find my photographs seem a little strange. Indeed it was not easy to decide on a viewpoint from which to satisfactorily encompass the full height of the Buddha, some 23 metres or so, and I was acutely conscious of remaining respectful in these surroundings.

I was to find that when visiting these temples where tourists are fewer that it seemed best to first complete photo-taking; then settle to truly absorb my surroundings and to contemplate the Buddha image.

Comment

The posture of Luang Pho To is unusual – seated, but as if on a chair with the legs downwards. I was later to learn that that at some point during renovation, the hand gestures had been changed to that of having the left hand on the knee and the right hand palm down, but slightly raised above the right knee. This is the attitude of leading a jungle life.

And so I began to understand why this image is special and so revered, and was not surprised to learn that worship fairs are held twice a year in this place in celebration.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Perhaps you would like to spend more time with me here. At the sides of the Wihan there are more images of the Buddha displaying other postures and attitudes; a relief of a monkey glistening dark gold against the wall’s peeling plaster; other animals emerge from the luxuriant foliage of the door carvings; the monks come and go.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                            That is one beautiful image of Phra Phutta Chinnarat...
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Oh, a Buddha and temple thread....
                              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                              X