• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wat Son Khao

Comment

Comment

Wat Sorasak

One of my favourite places, the stupa of Wat Sorasak has a base with 24 elephant sculptures. They are made of bricks and stucco, some of the stucco having been replaced during restoration in the 1980’s. Here is an information board with further history of this temple,

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Re: Destination Thailand: Sukhothai

Really beautiful photographs... I wish I was there too, right now.

It would be far better than the cold and dark Norway has in store for us the next months.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: Destination Thailand: Sukhothai

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      ....I wish I was there too, right now....
                      Oh I understand…in a few days time it will be a year since I was setting off to Thailand. I would love to be back in Sukhothai for Loy Krathong.

Comment

Wat Saphan Hin

Continuing my walk, I soon reached my starting point from early that morning, where there are bicycles for hire, and tuk-tuks available. Deciding on the latter mode of transport, I wanted to see some of the other temples and ruins that lie outside the central area of the historical park, and in particular to visit Wat Saphan Hin which I had read about.

The first tuk-tuk guy waved me on to a more immediately available driver. His vehicle, with that letter C, certainly seemed appropriate for me! (It’s actually an advert for the Big C supermarket.) A price was agreed and off we set.

Comment

It was a ten minute drive to reach the bottom of the hill on which the temple is situated.

Comment

A stone pathway ascends the hill to the remains of the temple, with the Phra Attharot Buddha statue. I think the term Phra Attharot is used to refer to such large standing Buddha images –this is over 12 meters high – and there are others in the central area of Old Sukhothai.

I had this wonderful place to myself as the two tourists were making their way back down the hill by the time I reached the top and, as the sun appeared, looked out over the vast expanse of countryside.

Comment

A smaller seated Buddha image is located in front of the Phra Attharot.

Comment

I walked around for a while, also interested to see the supports of the brick structure behind the Buddha and other remains of the prayer hall.

Comment

Working...
                                X