Destination Thailand: Sukhothai

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

This building housed a model of the temple of Angor Wat in Cambodia.

The airport also has it’s own small temple.

Comment

Less than five minutes drive away from the airport, and associated with it and Bangkok Airways, is the Sukhothai Heritage Resort. This was the hotel where I stayed overnight on my first visit to Thailand when I was travelling with an organised tour. Although included in my post in the Hotel Room Views thread on my return, it surely deserved many more photos, and I shall make a special thread in the hotel section later, adding a link here.

EDIT: - Here is the link to the hotel Sukhothai Heritage Resort

Last edited by Seagull; December 15th, 2012, 17:47. Reason: Added link to airport hotel.

Comment

Re: Destination Thailand: Sukhothai

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
          So very beautiful images that takes "me back" to some happy years in Thailand...

Loved the "Carabaou"-image.... I've taken a bath with these in a rice field "water-pool"... god, even after 8 showers, I still smelled like the animal...
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I got sidetracked in my enthusiastic posting of photos of Sukhothai Airport exactly one year on from my arrival there, so let’s return now to where I left you in post#110, where I’d just descended the hill from Wat Saphan Hin.

My excellent tuk-tuk driver awaited me. I define “excellent” in this context as taking me exactly where I want to go without any “hard sell” of places of where I don’t want to go. I must say that my experience generally in Thailand has been excellent, (including Bangkok taxis), though maybe it is just the un-persuadable way I look in my “I know what I’m doing” mode! Needless to say, I am happy to reward the “excellent” generously.

So I decided to retain my excellent driver, and had produced a map marked with further temples that lie outside the central area of the Historical Park. I even indicated a circuitous route –it was such a pleasant way to enjoy the rest of the afternoon. On a longer visit, hiring a bicycle and spending a day ambling around these country lanes and scattered ruins would be a nice alternative.

Here I’ve marked the places I went outside the rectangle of earth embankment walls and canals of the original inner city, some which have featured earlier in this thread and others to follow.

Comment

I followed the route on my iPad and even managed to take a couple of photos during the tuk-tuk ride!

Here I passed a field where stubble was being burned.
              Last edited by Seagull; December 14th, 2012, 21:34.

Comment

At a bend in the road, I passed the chedi of Wat Mangkorn.
                Next I’ll look out a few photos of other ruins and temples marked on the map where I stopped and spent more time.

Comment

Wat Chetuphon

There were four huge Buddha images in different postures on each side of the brick pavilion, called a mondop. This photograph shows the walking posture, which is a more rare representation – very beautiful despite the head not having survived.

Comment

On the other side of the remains of the mondop, the Buddha image has a standing posture. The boundary wall of slabs of thick slate, like a balustrade, is said to be intended to imitate wood.

Comment

Comment

Wat Chedi Si Hong

Across the road and only a short distance from Wat Chetuphon, lies Wat Chedi Si Hong. Here are the remains of an assembly hall with many large columns, and a bell-shaped chedi, as well as fragments of smaller chedis.

Comment

Around the base of the main chedi are decorations of lions and elephants.

Comment

There are also stucco reliefs depicting figures which hold vases with flowers representing fertility and prosperity. The sculptures are believed to date from the 14th century and some details suggest the influence of a Sri Lankan style.

Comment

Comment

Wat Chang Lom

Finally that afternoon I briefly visited Wat Chang Lom which, as you can see on the map #140, is situated to the east of the old town walls. It is actually quite a large area with remains of both assembly and ordination halls, chedis, and a boundary wall and moat which surrounded the whole temple. It dates from the late 14th century.

Comment

Working...
                                X