Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Khorat: Nakhorn Ratchasima and the Thao Suranari Park

Khorat: Nakhorn Ratchasima and the Thao Suranari Park

A very convenient stop I have made on almost all my journeys to Isan, has been this park in Khorat province. It's the Thao Suranari park. Normally, I arrive here early in the morning for a rest if departing late in the evening from Bangkok.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

This is the West Indian Jasmine Plumeira, a beautiful orchid which every decent and respectable spa in Thailand uses:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

More from the same park:

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        This is the West Indian Jasmine Plumeira, a beautiful orchid which every decent and respectable spa in Thailand uses:
        There are INDECENT spas in Thailand???

(sorry, I just couldn't resist...well, if my mind didn't live in the gutter, it would be homeless...)

Comment

The monument to Thao Suranari

Although I have not visited the park that pakarang has photographed in Khorat province, its name and the subject of the statue was immediately recognisable to me. Khunying Mo was the wife of the assistant governor of Nakhon Ratchasima, who it is said saved the city from invading Lao forces in 1826. King Rama III bestowed the title of Thao Suranari on her in recognition of her bravery. Also known as Lady Mo or Ya Mo, there are many depictions of her, and most especially a monument located in the centre of the city of Nakhon Ratchasima (also known as Khorat).

At the end of November and early December 2011 I was in Khorat to attend a geological conference. There was a busy schedule, and although that included social events and even a cultural tour in the surrounding region, I realised that I would only have a few hours on the afternoon of my arrival to see the city itself. My first objective was to see the monument to Thao Suranari.

Comment

The statue is a hugely popular shrine where locals and visitors from other provinces alike come to pay homage and ask for blessings.

Comment

Comment

Behind the statue is the Chumphon Gate and a remnant of the old city wall.

Comment

Comment

Built in 1934, the statue is made of black copper, and faces west towards Bangkok. The base of the monument holds the ashes of Thao Suranari.

Comment

City gate.

Comment

Re: Khorat: Nakhorn Ratchasima and the Thao Suranari Park

Wonderful images.. and such a great blue sky on that day!

I really miss my moments traveling around the country, visiting temples and paying my respect to Lord Buddha. This place is no exception to that eternal draw for me.

Comment

Wat Sala Loi

It was still only mid-afternoon, and having established a satisfactory rapport with a tuk-tuk driver I reckoned I had time for a temple visit I hadn’t expected to be possible, situated as it was to the north east of the city at the totally the opposite side from the conference hotel. A price was negotiated to include a return journey to the hotel, with route via a brief photo stop at another place of interest – I had become quite ambitious in making the most of my conference-free time by this point – and, in this city where tourists are few, ambitious in non-verbal communication! Admittedly this drivers grasp of map reading helped… definitely not a strong point with Bangkok taxi drivers, where I prefer to get around by public transport and my own two feet.

My first objective was Wat Sala Loi. This temple is said to have been established in the 1827 by Thao Suranari and her husband, but it is for the 1967 main hall that this place is renowned. It has received architectural awards for its design.

Comment

The building’s shape is inspired by that of a Chinese junk.

Comment

Locally produced ceramic tiles decorate the building.

Comment

Working...
                              X