No announcement yet.

A favorite destination in Thailand: Lopburi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This panorama hopefully gives some impression of the whole site.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

The building glimpsed at the extreme left of the panorama I showed earlier is the office of the Tourist Authority, situated just beyond the temple boundary on the “quiet road” I mentioned when describing my samlor ride (post #44).

Comment

It takes some effort to visualise the original appearance of the buildings where only their foundation or base remains, along with fallen fragments.

Comment

At other moments it is simply pleasing to enjoy the ruins in their surroundings as they exist today, and I very much like the soft light and atmosphere of this image. It makes me stop and pause as I write about it, just as I did when contemplating that scene and sat for a while gazing through that arch.

Comment

Comment

There is, if you look for it, a good deal of the stucco decoration that has survived, and it is with such details that I will end our visit.

Comment

From temples to trains!

Here, directly opposite Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat, is the railway station

…and in front of the station, an old steam locomotive is on display!

Comment

Comment

There is a rather worn hanging sign with further details, but from what I have read subsequently information can’t always be taken at face value. Number 161 may actually have been 38 and another source mentions 165 and yet another 192! In general, works numbers are not always definitive either and plates and parts may have been changed at some time or other.

It was nice to see Glasgow mentioned anyway!

Comment

Comment

Heading for the station platform and looking across the track, the ruins of Wat Nakorn Kosa are seen. This is the “reverse view” of that of #42

Turning round, another huge golden monkey statue looks onto the platform – now becoming rather busy.

Comment

Many things catch my attention… a little shrine to Ganesh ...a stone bell.

Comment

Working...
                                X