No announcement yet.

A favorite destination in Thailand: Lopburi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite of my images from the shrine – a laterite mound of material from the ancient ruins.

Comment

The railway line cuts through the city right next to these busy roads.

Here, having managed to cross the road and the railway, I am looking back towards the shrine and watching a train trundle past.

Comment

Phra Prang Sam Yod

I’ve now reached the temple of Prang Sam Yod, originally a Hindu shrine –the three towers or prangs symbolising Brahma,Vishnu and and Shiva – which was founded in the 13th century, and later converted to a Buddhist temple.

There is an admission fee, and it has to be said that this extraordinary place seems mostly visited as a tourist attraction because of the monkeys rather than for appreciation of history or architecture.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Fragments of Buddha images have been placed on the brick wall since pakarang took his photographs posted at the start of this thread. Elsewhere cracks in brickwork have been patched up, not always elegantly with too conspicuous white mortar, but in the shade of the brick arch a monkey was sitting. It stopped me in my tracks, seeing it there in that exact same spot, and for an instant it was as if I was transported back in time and pakarang standing next to me as he photographed its strangely unnerving gaze.
              But just as quickly, the monkey turned its head, away from the Buddha, and resolutely and distractingly out of the frame of my intended photograph. I waited for what seemed ages, a stand off which the monkey finally won, as if insisting I find my own motif.

And that was exactly what happened, when, a while later, I returned to find two monkeys in the lap of the Buddha.

Comment

This next photo provides a link between my visit to Phra Prang Sam Yod and further explorations of Lop Buri. Taken from within the temple enclosure, this large building had attracted my attention, equally for its size, architecture, the lettering of the prominent sign on the roof, and its clearly abandoned state.

Only later did I discover that it had been a cinema –the Malai Rama.

Comment

Re: A favorite destination in Thailand: Lopburi

A very nice treat to be taken back to this very inspiring of places.

I do like Lopburi a lot, but don't like the monkeys when they gang up on your soft drink..... that can sometimes be a scary thing to meet, a gang of mugger-monkeys... but other than that, lots of history and a great place to visit.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Wat Nakorn Kosa

The ruins of Wat Nakorn Kosa, a small enclosure close to San Phra Kan shrine but rather tucked away next to the railway line, were as far as I recollect free of monkeys as well as being a quiet oasis from the excesses of traffic and indeed tourists!

Comment

A mound is all that is left of a once tall prang and it is this smaller one that has survived, somewhat overgrown but charmingly so. Apparently the temple, though dating from Khmer times, is named for a 17th century French ambassador who may have been instrumental in restoration work in those days. There is also evidence of more recent “patching up”, but somehow what such well-meant but sometimes clumsy endeavours lacked seem to me to matter less than the special sense of place –the local people passing by, children playing amongst the ruins, that feeling of oasis I already mentioned.

Comment

Here is my panorama of this place that I came to have rather an affection for. I can imagine myself returning here, perhaps retreating to the shade of the ruins to sit and enjoy a picnic lunch undisturbed.

Comment

…and here is the context – actually the reverse direction view of that of post #19, which, in my enthusiasm for railways, I prematurely showed you already (though now you will recognise the abandoned cinema in that earlier photograph).

Across the track is the platform of Lop Buri railway station, and the station building in the distance. The plan was to take the train south to Ayutthaya where I would spend the night and visit the sights before once again heading northwards.

On meeting with my guide at the station, it transpired that the train had been delayed, and rather than proceeding by car I was to have the opportunity to see more of Lop Buri.
                          I will need to sort out the considerable number of photos I took in a major temple site right across the road from the station, so will first show you some pictures from the ride in the typical tricycle transport, called a samlor, that my guide had arranged for me once he’d established the re-scheduled train time.

Comment

Re: A favorite destination in Thailand: Lopburi

Dear Lady C,

Wonderful additional additions .... can't wait to go back to Thailand in the future... it will be extremely exiting for me, to say at least.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A ride around Lopburi old town

Setting off for the samlor ride. Probably a good thing to start off down a quieter street to begin with!

Comment

My driver… cyclist…difficult to know the correct terminology!…shouted a greeting to this guy, and stopped, which gave me a chance to organise myself so as to better be able to snap photos while on the move.

I felt quite pleased with this attempt to capture the atmosphere of the busier street – I only had to straighten it a little subsequently!

Comment

Working...
                                X