This is Verdal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Verdal

Visiting Verdal this last week-end of my vacation. Here's some pictures from the trainstation via the old dairy (now a shopping center) to the beautiful old houses, theatre and church at Stiklestad. (Guess you've all heared about the viking battle of Stiklestad in the year 1030..?

A "statue" of a viking helmet down-town Verdal

Old bridge at Stiklestad

No one lives in these old houses. These are preserved buildings in a museum

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Olav Den Hellige

The scene where they play the battle of Stiklestad each year. Last show of this season was unfortunately 29. July, so we didn't get to see it.

A house from the scene

Comment

First building of the new Stiklastadir

The map of the area

The church at Stiklestad
      Last edited by Sterkoder; August 1st, 2009, 20:31.

Comment

Oh Sterkoder, you have excelled even yourself – what brilliant photography and what a beautiful and fascinating place!
        It is all completely new to me so now I shall have to check out exactly where Verdal is on the map (and find out more about that Viking battle!!!)

Comment

WAOW... I must say, there is so much more to Verdal than I even imagined. This is a place I have seldom stopped at, just driven by each and every time.

I did visit the Stiklestad play once in my lifetime, as a very young boy, but had no idea of the area in general.

Therefore, thank you so much for this new report: seems like I should be making a smaller stop at this place some time instead of just hurtling through.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you very much for your comments!
            I belive you'll find unlimited info when you Google "Stiklestad".
            The Stiklestad battle fell on 29. July 1030, and made King Olav Haraldsson known as St. Olav.
            Very interesting history this, and for you who might want to experience both the place and maybe the replica battle from 25.-29. July 2010, Hotel Rica has opened a new hotel at Stiklestad in 2007, Stiklestad Hotel.
            http://www.stiklestad.no/internation...iklestadHotel/

Comment

And I couldn't resist making a tilt-shift photo of my last picture from post nr. one above here. Cute!
              Last edited by Sterkoder; August 2nd, 2009, 00:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                ...It is all completely new to me so now I shall have to check out exactly where Verdal is on the map (and find out more about that Viking battle!!!)
                Of course, of course, I at least know more of the history than I thought I did yesterday – just hadn’t grasped that Olav Den Hellige was another name for King Olav Haraldsson, later St. Olav.
                The St. Olav pilgrim routes are interesting, and I even came across such routes in Sweden!

Oh, I do like your tilt-shift shot, makes it look like a model village.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  And I couldn't resist making a tilt-shift photo of my last picture from post nr. one above here. Cute!
                  That is AWESOME Big S!

Hw in the wide world did you make that effect stand out so perfectly?

Did you use blur-tool in Photoshop?

I have tried that as well with the blur-tool, but never been that successful.... awesome, really awesome!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I only use this tiltshift maker

http://tiltshiftmaker.com/

When you have done the three steps on the front page of this link, you can go with the suggested result or ajust your image on page two. Then click "Get full size" and you'll have the option to upload your tilted image to your own album again....

Comment

Stiklestad. (Guess you've all heared about the viking battle of Stiklestad in the year 1030..?
                      Oh, oh...me..me..me.. pick me!! I know about the Battle of Stiklestad and St. Olav!!!! (just because I went to a lecture on Symphony about the Vikings)...

Have I mentioned in the last 30 minutes that I MISS NORWAY?????

Comment

Ok..., ok....., I'm glad you miss Norway...
                        The brother of my fiancee lives 5 minutes from Stiklestad, so during the past 20+ years, I've visited that place many times.
                        After I started taking pictures, I discover new small details every time I'm at the Stiklestad Battle area...., did so this time too..., but something just have to wait until next time.
                        I can assure you, to walk around there gives you a special feeling..., if you know your history, that is....

Comment

I can assure you, to walk around there gives you a special feeling..., if you know your history, that is....
                          Understand exactly what you mean there. I often think of that when I walk around in Trondheim too, at sights and locations such as the Nidaros Cathedral, the Arch Bishops Palace, Kristiansten Festning and through old streets with one and two floor high wooden houses...

Trondheim is an amazing city for those interested in Viking history, there is so much from the middle-ages still left everywhere.

Trondheim, and Verdal, should be marketed as the Viking Capital maybe?

Comment

Trondheim, and Verdal, should be marketed as the Viking Capital maybe?
                            Think I could agree to that.
                            Strange to think about is that 2-300 meters from my home, down by the fjord at Bjerkestrand, Håkon Den Gode (Haakon The Good) had his kings farm (kongsgård) and fought the Rastarkalv battle at five to ten...., or in 955, if you want
                            There are many places and a load of viking history on this side of Frei in Kristiansund, and rather exiting for those interested.
                            The real name of Håkon den Gode was Håkon Haraldsson Adelsteinsfostre, and was king from 933 to 961.
                            His father was Harald Hårfagre.
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; December 15th, 2009, 00:27.

Comment

I've had my history lesson for the day--THANKS, Big S!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X