Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

In Sandnessjøen we passed Petter Dass as we walked over to get something to eat..., and on the way to the quays, of course

"Gamle Helgeland"

"Boa Siw"

"Cometa"
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Final images from Sandnessjøen Sunday are of the "Steigtind"

EDIT:
      And how could I forget "Løkta"....
      Last edited by Sterkoder; July 16th, 2012, 00:23.

Comment

Nice additions Sterkoder, a good variety of pictures.

Comment

Yippeeeeee…Sterkoder’s on holiday!!!!!….equals PHOTOS!!!!!
          Another church for your collection. And more quirky sculptures . And I did enjoy the aurora inspired Nord-Norge arch! Nice memories of favourite subjects in Sandnessjøen. As for the composition and framing of the wooden warehouses in #89/5….perfect.

Comment

Thank you C!!!
            Yepp, I'm on holiday with my family, and as I posted all my images here in this thread so far, I started to spread them where they belong today.
            (I guess you'll just have to look around).

We left Sandnessjøen Monday, and before we left, we drove over to see the seven sisters mountain massive.
            Here they are, represented by the two most northerly....

Had to take one more of the bridge before we left

The Korgen tunnel was not open, so we had to drive the old E6 over the Korgenfjellet. Here's Korgen Kro & Motell, in freezing cold north wind and low clouds

This is our 'spotter-mobil' on this trip, a 2008 model Ford Focus TDI

Comment

From that spot, in the general direction of Mo i Rana was arain shower

Before we drove down from Saltfjellet, we stopped on the Polarsirkelsenteret (Arctic Circle Center) for a bite to eat and look through the souvenir shop

There was a sign telling us all what these stones mean, but I didn't read it.
              Took my pictures and rushed back to my warm car. I know the temperature was over 10 degrees, but it felt like -5.

A road sign most likely to say NO ENTRY, covered by stickers from hundreds of tourists

Comment

Just look at that rain shower…I love images like that.
                I haven’t crossed the Arctic circle by road in Norway so I don’t know about those stones, and if any are of archaeological or historical significance, but they look like those cairns people like to make nowadays on mountain summits and such places…add a stone to feel you’ve been there sort of thing…rather like adding a sticker to that road sign!

Comment

On our way to Narvik, we crossed the Tjeldsundet bridge

In Narvik, I only had time for two pictures (yes, you'd better belive it; here I am on holiday, and only "have time" for so and so many pictures)
                  "Atlantic Bridge" loading ore from Kiruna

We have all seen Narvik airport from above. Here's how it look from the sea level

Then we have the mountains. I'm sorry that I don't have any names now. I can find out, but no matter what their names are, it's their sight that's impressive and breathtaking. No camera can justify this nature, and I haven't taken pictures of them all

Comment

From Skarberget, we were lucky enough to sail with the 12 year old ferry "Melshorn" and as you can see, we parked on the upper deck. Fantastic view!

My previous relationship with "Melshorn" is thet I remember seeing her being tested on the fjord near Fiskarstrand Yard, viewed from the hospital room at Aase Hospital when our daughter was born 3 month premature.
                    Both with "birthday" in month 12 in 1999.
                    Spotter holidaymobile can be seen to the right there, black box mounted on the roof

Under way to Bogenes I spotted this nordlandsbåt, a design used by boatbuilders in this part of Norway.

The second ferry on the Skarberget-Bogenes stretch is "Godfjord"

Tonight we stopped in Fauske, after a 8-9 hours long drive. Hope you've enjoyed the tour so far....

Comment

Good morning Sterkoder....

Road trip... summer to the north?

Loved the wa you so perfectly captured the salmon fisher "statue" in Grong... I've always thought about stopping there and doing it myself, but never got around to do it. Your image is very lifelike and reminds me of the old charicatur drawings in the local paper abotu 20-30 years ago.

That old gas station as well... I think it's actually the OLDEST restored gas station in the country if I'm not mistaken...

Great seeing your photos from the trip, if you are still on the trip... drive safely !
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hello there, and thanks for giving a comment!
                        Yes, this summer is the great summer of driving. It has come to a total of 1850 kilometers so far, and we have not come farther south than Fauske so far.
                        Today, in an hours time, we start our southbound voyage, to I don't know where yet..., as we've talked about including Østersund, Sweden in our plans. We'll see.

I can assure you;
                        Safe driving is the only option here. I've seen enough idiots already...

Comment

And after a fantastic tour to Lofoten and back via Narvik, we are now installed at Fru Haugans hotel in Mosjøen.
                          (We're in that corner room at the first floor of the old original hotel. Highly recommended and top srevice!! )

Back side

Then a walk down Sjøgata again, to find a place to eat

A doctors office. I belive you can turn well just by looking at the entrance

A cafe and restaurant

Comment

Then I started to discover details I didn't see last sunday, when we just had a quick walk here on our way to Sandnessjøen.

Big chairs in Mosjøen

A small house had a le-vegg. In norwegian, le-vegg have two meanings: a shelter (le) from weather, and a wall of laughter (le)
                            This one is most surely for laughter

A bike for politicians who want to go into the future ass first, not seeing the light

And last Sunday I stepped on a green line in the street, not knowing what it symbolized.
                            Now I know that it stretches 174,5 meters down the street, to mark the long skijump of our female ski jumper Anette Sagen

(You can see more funny stuff at http://oppfinnerkontoret.no/ also in english, though the only text there is 'Information to come...' )

And this is to promote an art exhibition
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; July 23rd, 2012, 00:24.

Comment

You can send mail to Julenissen (Santa) if you have a special wish.

A Nordlandsbåt at anchor in river Vefsna

Cosy houses all over.

Doctors building from the other side

And did we find a place to eat??
                              We sure did! I highly recommend Restaurant Gilles in Sjøgata!! Both service and food was superb. Check out http://www.gilles.no

On our way back to the hotel we saw another 'kristiansunder' sitting in the dinner room of Fru Haugans, but since he's a very well known person also in Norway as a hole and not only home (where he's big)..., I will not blow who. Celebrities must also have their privacy.
                              Spread around the interior, was models of some of the houses in Sjøgata.
                              This sea house is in the end of our corridor

Our tour is not over yet, so there might be more to come, so stay tuned...
                              Last edited by Sterkoder; July 23rd, 2012, 11:10.

Comment

Fantastic photos,Svein
                                And it has been a delight to follow you and your family on this vacation trip so far.
                                I wish you all a safe and good drive further on your holiday trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X