Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Norway - all places without their own thread.

Drove out to Averøy thursday last week to do some lawn mowing. Didn't care to travel by carferry, so I drove via Eide and Atlanterhavsveien...., being much nicer and taking just about the same time from my home.

That said, there are many pictures from the Altanterhavsveien here, so this time I just want to upload some from Norways nr. 1 "stone community" Eide.
    In this small community there are several factories and smaller companies making all sort of things out of stone, from gravestones to ......, I don't know what. Possibly much easier to mention what they don't make

This is Eide pictured from south looking towards north, and the Atlanterhavsveien is situated out the fjord to the right in the picture

This is the statue "Steinblomst" (Stoneflower)

In the Eide/Visnes area they also have a huge marble and lime mine.
    The equipment they use are HUGE!

The size don't show too well on a picture, but notice the ladder to climbe to get to the drivers seat
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    The size don't show too well on a picture, but notice the ladder to climbe to get to the drivers seat
    One day before I die, this is one monster I would really love having driven. Not necessarily down the walking street on a Saturday afternoon, but actually anywhere I could be permitted...
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Jepp..., you're right.
      That shovel there could take my car sideways, and since I'm 1.9 meters of hight myself, I would measure those tires to be between 2.2-2.5 meters in diameter.
      Yes, I know this is not exactly a world record..., it's not even a norwegian record, but it's what we've got in this region

Comment

Picture taken today, from the dock seen in the lower center of my first picture of Eide. This is the mountain Snøtinden

Comment

Picture taken today, from the dock seen in the lower center of my first picture of Eide. This is the mountain Snøtinden
          I like the way the cloud is just sitting on the mountain and yet the air & photograph are so clear

Comment

Also drove to Averøy, and in the crossroad between Kjønnøy and Hassløy is the "statue" 'Arrowhead'.

On the lower part of a restseat, my 9 year old daughter found this rock, shaped like a heart

Just before driving over the bridge out to the outer island, we passed a 'fiskegjel' (don't know the english word, but maybe fish-hang would do?).
            This is where the fishermen hang thousand of cods to dry them. Dried cod is the main ingredience in the famous dish bacalao.

Driving over the bridge and further out over the breakwater, I spotted Hestskjær lighthouse from a different angle (slightly) than pictured in the Atlantic Road-thread

Comment

Dried cod is the main ingredience in the famous dish bacalao.
              I am no cook, but I think you are wrong about the fish used in Bacalao. The fish dried on fish flake (fiskehjell) is called stockfish (tørrfisk/stokkfisk). In Bacalao they use split cod also called clipfish (klippfisk)

BTV: Nice pictures
              Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                I am no cook, but I think you are wrong about the fish used in Bacalao. The fish dried on fish flake (fiskehjell) is called stockfish (tørrfisk/stokkfisk). In Bacalao they use split cod also called clipfish (klippfisk)

BTV: Nice pictures
                You are so right on...!
                And I'm born and lives in the clipfish capital of Norway.....?
                Oh boy, how embarrassing!!!!!!

Thanks for the correct info though!

I think this is what I tried to explain, but I couldn't find the right english words for this and that, and I even missed on the norwegian word for fish flake.
                This must be the most embarrassing moment in my CV life....

Comment

The never ending confusion between Stock fish (Toerrfisk) and Bacalao (Klippfisk).

Stock fish is gutted and headless cod, dried without any preservative, hence require a cold and relatively dry climate. Normal made in Lofoten in late winter and early spring. I'm surprised that there are Stock fish production as far south as Averoya. When put in water with some lye it swells back to nearly it's original size and consistency and is used to make "Lutefisk".

Klippfisk is made from salted Cod or Ling The name Klippfisk came from the fact that it was spread out on cliffs (klippe) to dry in the sun. If it rained the fish had to be quickly put into stacks (Lade) and covered with a "top hat" called fiskeflak. This was hard work and often carried out by females. There is a statue in their honor in Kr.sund, called "Klippfisk-kjerringa".

This was mostly done around Kr.sund and Aalesund, but the salted fish came from Lofoten and points north. Today Klippfisk is made indoors by artificial drying.

Comment

...but I couldn't find the right english words for this and that, and I even missed on the norwegian word for fish flake.
                    This must be the most embarrassing moment in my CV life.
                    In English I would call fiskehjell/fiskegjel a fish drying rack.
                    Only now did I learn the Norwegian word (and spelling variations) for it, so Sterkoder you can feel good about yourself again!
                    Here are photos I took in March 2003 in Svolvær and Henningsvær.
                    Arriving aboard Lofoten, I could smell Svolvær before I could see it!

Later, an opportunity to see exactly how it was done at close quarters.

Comment

'ombugge' are totally correct, and the worst is that I know all this.
                      (Note to self: Why don't you think before you write...???)

Anyway, here's an image of the Klippfisk-kjerring and I see 'Seagull' completes this story with great and informative pictures from up north.

Comment

Here's another mountain in Eide, Kvannfjell, 989 meters above sealevel

Like mountain rock formations

Old farmhouse out at Orøya, outside Skotheimsvik north of Bud

Orøya and Kvitholmen lighthouse

The lighthouse is 2600 meters out from my position

A radar left by the german forces in 1945. This one is on the road between Vevang and Bud
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; August 16th, 2009, 14:53.

Comment

Ahhh....., finally I can blow life into this thread again!!!!

When driving home from Verdal to Kristiansund today, I desided to make a stop I've been thinking of for several years.
                          Alongside the main road E-6 in Langstein south of Åsen, north of Stjørdal..., is the old abandoned station building of Langstein station.

I love taking pictures of such old station buildings, and hope you enjoy my images made by a 18-55mm and 10-17mm lense.

I spot an open window on the second floor, so how abandoned it is, I can't tell...

I think it's so cool to see the difference, even though the motif is exactly the same...

Last edited by Sterkoder; May 16th, 2011, 00:53.

Comment

I looks like it is in good condition. You are sure it is abandoned? Why is nobody living in there. Doesn't the Norwegian Railroad sell such buildings to private persons?
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                              I looks like it is in good condition. You are sure it is abandoned? Why is nobody living in there. Doesn't the Norwegian Railroad sell such buildings to private persons?
                              No, I'm not sure it's abandoned, but we've been driving past this building to and from visits in Verdal for over 20 years now and I have never seen people, cars or any sign of life around it.

Yes, NSB (the national railroad company) usually sell off such buildings, but I know nothing about this station.
                              And I agree with you; it really looks like it's in a certain shape and some sort of maintenance has been done over the years.

Comment

Working...
                              X