X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Bodø

As you may have noticed I have been rather obsessed recently with the details of routes that ships take on leaving Bodø! Here I took a photo taken from a fantastic viewing point at the end of the mole, showing the entrance to Nyholmsundet.

Nice view of Salten swinging round into the channel. This was actually taken from the deck of Nordstjernen - she was about to follow through the channel . . .

. . . and this was the moment that Nordstjernen was turning, ready to follow Salten.

I have a lot of nice photos of Bodø from that trip (including ones of the Aviation museum) and intend to post them here from time to time, but for now:-

Seagull(s) in Bodø!!

Nice place to see the ships come and go! Lovely images!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This thread I opened previously now has rather more topical significance, as I expect pakarang will have just a few spare moments from his HSC course to enjoy this great viewpoint at the end of the mole. (Actually it will be highly educational to do so, observing the routes of arriving and departing ships in various wind and weather, as discussed above!!! )

An intriguing rock sculpture thing along the way – looks like rock coring gone mad!

Nice April weather . . .

. . . and here in rather more challenging September weather is the view looking down on the mole from the northbound Finnmarken.

Comment

Seagull, the buildings in the last photo look a little too "proletarian" for our Captain. What does the rest of Bodø look like? Any good restaurants and markets?? Night life?? Places to find dates???

Really, I don't think Jan-Olav is grown-up enough to make this decision, is he?? Maybe WE should decide for him......

Comment

I hope i will not insult anybody, but Bodö would not be my choice. I am missing some athmosphere in this town. I have been there twice and had no intention to stay there...

But perhaps you should open a new thread for J-O's search for a new place - but maybe you should wait until it is for sure - or do you know more because you two are always chatting at the mobile....
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Many more photos of Bodø and Harstad to come in the next days. Have to drag myself away from the computer right now, but meanwhile if you look back at my “A few days on Finnmarken” thread you’ll find there is a Thai restaurant in Bodø. Got to be a good start . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              or do you know more because you two are always chatting at the mobile....
              Ralf--in this case, you know as much as I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only knew he had a job offer ----

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                . . . Bodö would not be my choice. I am missing some athmosphere in this town. I have been there twice and had no intention to stay there...
                Ralf, just E getting over excited . . .
                If I understood pakarang correctly, Bodø is just the location of the HSC course and subsequent on-ship experience, but it would just be temporary. If indeed a job materialises subsequently it would be based in Harstad– no choice of location involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  If I understood pakarang correctly, Bodø is just the location of the HSC course and subsequent on-ship experience, but it would just be temporary. If indeed a job materialises subsequently it would be based in Harstad– no choice of location involved.
                  That is correct, the course will be in Bodo in about a weeks time (week number 19), with possibly some on-ship training afterward there. Though, my new employer has not chipped everything in stone yet, so there is chances it could be Harstad, Bodo, or even other places. It all depends on where they wish to place me.

For me, I like Bodo, but I also like other places. The place doesn't really matter that much to me, as long as I have an interesting job to go to. I still got the web to travel around the world....

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

In April 2006 I stayed in the Radisson SAS hotel in Bodø – the tall building seen here.

There is a bar right up on the top floor.

From the bar, there are marvellous panoramic views in all directions, whether looking out over the town . . .

. . . over the small boat harbour with my favourite ship viewing place at the end of the mole on the extreme right of the photo . . .

. . . or the more familiar view across the harbour and Nyholmsundet. The Hurtigruten quay is in the distance on the right of the photo, and the hurtibåt quay is seen on the left There will be some changes in the centre of the photo now the building works are completed.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      my new employer

Captain-- do you know how we ALL have longed for and waited for the day when you finally typed those words????!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice April weather . . .
                        Heeeeey...., lock at Mr. Johansen out fishing with his orange small fishing vessel...

You know what, that boat were made here in Kristiansund by Norpower AS - Malo Brothers back in 1974.
                        You can tell that it's a Norpower/Malo boat by that red sign on the wheelhouse wall....

But how do I know it's Mr. Johansen there on the deck...? Well, I'm 'Sterkoder' (mohahahaha).
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                          Well, I'm 'Sterkoder' (mohahahaha).

No comment. You MUST be a secret service agent! But I know you couldn
                          t tell us that, because then you would have to kill us afterwards...

Wonderful images from Bodø by the way!

Comment

Here are some more nice little boats in Bodø for Sterkoder!

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                              Heeeeey...., lock at Mr. Johansen out fishing with his orange small fishing vessel...

You know what, that boat were made here in Kristiansund by Norpower AS - Malo Brothers back in 1974.
                              You can tell that it's a Norpower/Malo boat by that red sign on the wheelhouse wall....

But how do I know it's Mr. Johansen there on the deck...? Well, I'm 'Sterkoder' (mohahahaha).
                              And secret agent Sterkoder probably have access to the fishing boat register for Nordland and beyond?

Comment

Working...
                              X