• Show
Clear All

Snow, snow and more snow... snow everywhere in town:

2019_01_19 EOS5D-Trondheim-IMG_7275 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_19 EOS5D-Trondheim-IMG_7278 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_19 EOS5D-Trondheim-IMG_7279 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_19 EOS5D-Trondheim-IMG_7281 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Four last shots from today:

2019_01_19 EOS5D-Trondheim-IMG_7283 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_19 EOS5D-Trondheim-IMG_7289 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_19 EOS5D-Trondheim-IMG_7287 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_19 EOS5D-Trondheim-IMG_7286 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• yvneac
        yvneac commented
        Editing a comment
        Great photos of Trondheim Under snow J-O. I'd like to be there for a walk along these white streets.

• pakarang
        pakarang commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so very much, yvenac... if you are ever here again, let me know, and I'll be your walking guide!

Even if I don't like snow, I think that your pictures from Trondheim is stunning! Thank you! :-)
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

What a day you’ve had Jan-Olav! You’ve excelled yourself with these snow scenes, both from the ground and from the air.
        Many of these images feel to me differently fresh from your collections in other years. Inspired!

Comment

Still Trondheim Under snow, but last February during the call of MS Finnmarken.

Comment

• Seagull
            Seagull commented
            Editing a comment
            Enjoyed your photos, Yves. The first time I visited Trondheim in snowy weather and was exploring Bakklandet I warmed up in that Cafébar Dromedar. And that last image of Munkholmen. is ...yes you guessed ....my favourite!

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          Even if I don't like snow, I think that your pictures from Trondheim is stunning! Thank you! :-)
          Believe me, we are two that doesn't like winter (at all)... but I have to admit that it's a great photo-opportunity. The heaviest snowfall in Trondheim in the last 56 years, according to local media.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
            What a day you’ve had Jan-Olav! You’ve excelled yourself with these snow scenes, both from the ground and from the air.
            Many of these images feel to me differently fresh from your collections in other years. Inspired!
            Thank you so very much.... I have got to find whatever positive I can during this time of the year. And hold on to it with my claws.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
              Still Trondheim Under snow, but last February during the call of MS Finnmarken..........
              Lovely images from my city, makes me happy to see others also enjoying the old buildings and the history of Bakklandet.

Comment

Here are some images from the darkness of today - if you like.

Fjordgata:

2019_01_20 MAVIC-Ravnkloa-DJI_0065 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Love these two in particular, because the medieval cathedral of Nidarosdomen is so significant:

2019_01_20 MAVIC-Ravnkloa-DJI_0066 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_20 MAVIC-Ravnkloa-DJI_0067 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_20 MAVIC-Ravnkloa-DJI_0072 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

A few more from about the same location 85 meters above the "western canal-harbour":

2019_01_20 MAVIC-Ravnkloa-DJI_0071 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_20 MAVIC-Ravnkloa-DJI_0075 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_20 MAVIC-Ravnkloa-DJI_0074 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

With that, I wish you all a very good night!

Comment

Great pictures from Trondheim!
                    In #1435/2 and 3 I can se my daughters house
                    I read some place on the internet tonight that it hasn't been this much snow in Trondheim since 1963.

From one drone pilot to another: What do you do when you fly 80-100 meters above the city? You just take off and fly around?
                    (I don't dare to just fly around over Kristiansund at max 70-80 meters, because here people are rather strange and can just as well contact the police...).
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      Great pictures from Trondheim!
                      In #1435/2 and 3 I can se my daughters house
                      I read some place on the internet tonight that it hasn't been this much snow in Trondheim since 1963.

From one drone pilot to another: What do you do when you fly 80-100 meters above the city? You just take off and fly around?
                      (I don't dare to just fly around over Kristiansund at max 70-80 meters, because here people are rather strange and can just as well contact the police...).
                      Thank you so much, Sterkoder! So glad you enjoyed these latest photos.

Actually, in this short flight, I never flew over the city. I took off from RAVNKLOA fish market - straight up - and then flew backwards out over the VESTRE KANALHAVN at about 85 meters. The flight was just 5 minutes or so. I have never flown over the city yet, and will probably never do that either. I seldom fly, as in extremely rare, out of sight and far off. The only times I fly far off, is above water such as Trondheimsfjorden. The trend for me seems to be short flight of 5-7 minutes to get the shots I was thinking off, and then I'm done.

Comment

• Sterkoder
                        Sterkoder commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, just what I think when it comes to drone flying. Short to the point flights, up and do what you set out to do and then land..., before anyone even got time to be annoyed.
                        Now, a question: As we've all seen, you have used your drone out of the ferry, it might be from an on shore base, or from the ferry, I'm not sure. BUT; if one does use a drone from a ferry, or any ship for that matter, what will happen if you push the 'HOME'-button? I mean, it will not fint the GPS-spot it took off from. Just a thought. (Then of course, you can land it manually, but in a worst case scenario; what if you sort of "panic" and just want the drone to come back to you, or the battery run low and it decide to land itself. The ship is moving and no take off spot will be found.

• pakarang
                        pakarang commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great question Sterkoder!

I have only twice TRIED taking off from the ferry, while she was docked... (out of service), and both times could have ended badly. In the first instance, the electrical activity emitted from the ship (radars, radios, etc etc) completely confused the compass of the drone, and sent it sideways crashing into the railing.

The other time I tried, I took off fast, but lost contact (signal) after a few minutes flight. That time, the drone kept on drifting out to see in spirals... magnetic compass did not work, and I had to seriously manipulate the controls to get it to fly in the direction I wanted. It kept on drifting continuously like a drunk bird. I eventually managed to land it on the pier, and when it landed, there was no more battery. A minute more, and the fjord would have kept her forever.

Hence, I never take those chances anymore. Even near Flakk, there are some extreme disturbances that keeps on messing up my signals.... never fly there anymore.

There is a way to counter the problem of a "moving home-point" like when you take off on a moving ship. As you have figured out, when you take off from a moving ship, and the ships move, if you press RTH, that point might be at the water. I haven't used this feature, but I believe there is a setting where you can have the drone to return to the position of the remote control.

I'm not flying off any ships anymore though, sailing or docked. Too risky, and my ....lls are not big enough. LOL.

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      Here are some images from the darkness of today - if you like.
                      Oh yes I certainly do like! .I like very much indeed!
                      That cityscape - the axis of the city from Ravnkloa to Nidarosdomen - has always delighted me, and seeing it like this in your c-gull-eye-view pleases me beyond words.

And there is Den Siste Viking watching it all. It's not too fanciful to imagine him as the drone pilot! - He looks so real in that first image, the one that I will always think of as "Full moon over Fjordgata".
                      It sounds like the title of a novel or a movie, with your #1435.1 as book cover or movie poster.

Comment

Great input, Lady C.... I don't think the Last Viking has ever flown a drone, nor does he know the meaning of that word. I have to admit that I haven't heard of drone-remains found in Viking burial sites (yet).

Here are some images that I did at Kristianstensbakken.... the NTNU University almost looks like a fantasy castle at the end of the street:

2019_01_22 G7XM2-WinterDay-IMG_3539 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_22 G7XM2-WinterDay-IMG_3542 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

- and before I bid you all goodnight, here are two images taken at an area called UTLEIRA.

That exact moment, the thermometer was telling me that the outside temperature was -16 degrees. Bitterly cold. It was so cold, I almost froze my propellers off!

2019_01_23 MAVIC Utleira-DJI_0079 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_01_23 MAVIC Utleira-DJI_0077 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X