No announcement yet.

This is Trondheim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trondheim is such a nice mixture of all kinds of houses.
    Image #1404:2 is a good example, with the small wooden houses standing in front of the giant concrete silos.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
      Trondheim is such a nice mixture of all kinds of houses.
      Image #1404:2 is a good example, with the small wooden houses standing in front of the giant concrete silos.
      Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      The charm of Trondheim is clearly all the old buildings found throughout many places of the city... these are what makes Trondheim such a beautiful place.

2018_11_01 EOS5D-Trondheim-IMG_7031 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr
      I totally agree with you Tommi, if you take time to walk around this city, there is no doubt you will find many historical (as in pearls) buildings.

I actually loved how that image came out too. But, I couldn't help but think how much more wonderful it would have been WITHOUT those silos in the background. I'm sure, at some point in the future, they will be torn down (if the Department of Cultural Heritage doesn't find them preservable), and when they are torn down, this area will change dramatically.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Lately, I have started dreaming of buying a "downtown" apartment in what we call "gammel bygård"... something that translates to old city-apartment I guess. A place with charm and character, an assigned garage space, tall rooms and lots of old windows and decorations. Bakklandet is full of these type of "gammel bygård", as well as Ila/Ilsvika and other places.

But Singsakerbakken, was a pleasant surprise on a recent walk.... I had not walked here before, and in this exact area, there are a lot of beautiful houses and apartments. That blue house is so lovely!

2018_11_26 G7XM2-Singsakerbakken-IMG_3254 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

More familiar are the houses along Bakklandet:

2018_11_28 Bakklandet-IMG_3255 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_11_28 Bakklandet-IMG_3256 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          How extraordinary! I had to look up Singsakerbakken on a map. It's like there's a slice of Trondheim that had previously been invisible and I didn't know existed!

I have lived in Trondheim for quite a few years, but had never been to this part of town. I was pleasantly surprised. Singsakerbakken has it's fair share of old, and beautiful buildings.

Comment

Because of the renovation of the city square (due to be finished spring 2020), the Christmas tree has been relocated to the small square outside Vår Frues Kirke (Our Lady's Church).

2018_12_02 G7XM2-Trondheim-IMG_3338 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Some of the Christmas decorations in town, taken with my compact camera.

I have made extensive work this autumn to convince local government and various agencies and companies, to update and upgrade the non-existent decorative lights in Fjordgata. Fjordgata deserves to be illuminated and decorated too!

2018_12_02 G7XM2-Trondheim-IMG_3347 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_02 G7XM2-Trondheim-IMG_3348 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_02 G7XM2-Trondheim-IMG_3350 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_12_02 G7XM2-Trondheim-IMG_3352 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Even several of the narrow side streets have now been illuminated this year:

2018_12_02 G7XM2-Trondheim-IMG_3354 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Lot's of nice decorations, even if there always could be some more of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                  Lot's of nice decorations, even if there always could be some more of them!
                  In my humble opinion, the darkest time of the year becomes a whole lot more tolerable with all these festive lights all over town.

I actually dream of the entire city being decorated with lights throughout, including Fjordgata. I have a feeling that it might actually be something people would travel to Trondheim to experience: after foreign medias reporting on that little town up north with all those lights.... the winter fest town of Trondheim....

But, as with everything else I have learned, the cost of adding lights will be a forced (as in not voluntary) fee for the shops in each street. Not everybody are able to handle more additional taxes and mandatory fees.

Comment

There are no doubt many nice buildings in Trondheim
                    Especially with the old wooden houses.

Maybe you will be the owner of one of these great homes next year?

I have written earlier that you are a very good ambassador for your hometown of Trondheim with pictures and information seen by thousands of people all over the world.

The pictures are great and show the various buildings from single-family homes, apartment buildings, commercial buildings and the beautiful homes from Singsakerbakken, Bakklandet etc. in an outstanding way.

Comment

Originally posted by DS Lyngen View Post
                      There are no doubt many nice buildings in Trondheim
                      Especially with the old wooden houses.

Maybe you will be the owner of one of these great homes next year?

I have written earlier that you are a very good ambassador for your hometown of Trondheim with pictures and information seen by thousands of people all over the world.

The pictures are great and show the various buildings from single-family homes, apartment buildings, commercial buildings and the beautiful homes from Singsakerbakken, Bakklandet etc. in an outstanding way.
                      In my humble opinion, the old wooden buildings are what makes Trondheim such an amazing place. Last night, after all my jobs were done, I walked some of these narrow side alleys and I could easily imagine an old monk rushing through the exactly same environment several hundred years ago. I really love these old houses.

For the past year, I have been dreaming more and more of these houses and that I would love to have one as my home too. Lots of history in the walls, high ceilings, big windows, thick doors and just filled with stories of people who lived there in the past. During the darker months, I have walked a lot amongst these houses, and sometime you get a very quick peak inside as you walk by... looks so cozy!

Thank you so very much for your generous words: it makes me want to show you more and more of my town. I'm really proud of Trondheim in many ways but I would also like to see the city develop at a faster pace towards new technology, greener solutions while at the same time allowing the city to grow financially. I don't want to ban cars in the city, but I would like the city to develop mass-transit systems that actually works... such as trams, cable cars...

I have a feeling that the city will never achieve their goals because everything takes so much time: discussion upon discussions, and lots of money thrown at projects without it being able to start construction.

Look to Singapore and Hong Kong: overly ambitious and still retaining a LOT of history within the bounds of development.

Comment

Trondheim as seen a beautiful autumn afternoon from the top of BLUSUVOLLSBAKKEN:

2018_10_29 G7XM2-PalaengCafe-IMG_3092 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Trondheim - the dirty city.

If every city would have a slogan, Trondheim at winter would suit the slogan "Trondheim, the dirty city".

During winter, EVERYTHING that has ever been closer than 5 meters of any public road, are so way beyond the worst understanding of the word "dirty".

I had a walk on a road near to my home recently, and within 120 seconds walking along this residential road, a whopping 72 of these dump-trailers passed by.... both ways included!

And according to local government, that is ACCEPTABLE. They have now even preliminary approved an increase of these.

The reason for so many trucks... there are several stone and gravel quarries nearby, and the only way in and out, is through a very dense residential area. If you don't like the traffic, move, is the only answer, according to local government.

Not only are we bothered with heavy dump-truck traffic, but roads are literally drowned in salt and chemicals to melt snow. Even at -5 degrees, the road is soaking wet! How nice.

2018_01_05 Dirty City-IMG_6157 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

• janihudi
                            janihudi commented
                            Editing a comment
                            be glad trucks are there,
                            without them the world stands still.
                            but the first to blame at about any occasian, are the trucks and there drivers.
                            the sea is to salt, blame the truckers, it's to hot, blame the truckers, my wife don't loves me anymore, blame the truckers. (well ,we have a dear in any other city, so that could be to blame us about)

• Sterkoder
                            Sterkoder commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It's not the trucks nor truckers, Thijs.
                            It's the crazy salting of roads during winter that makes it all dirty.
                            Where I live we have a few miles of public road which is not salted, due to agriculture activity close to the road, and these few miles are always wintery, not always pure white, but white to light grey.
                            I'm opposed to salting winter roads, except in steep hills where trucks will have problems anyway.

• janihudi
                            janihudi commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I was more reffering about how many trucks pass there and that it would be increased.
                            People seames to have problems with the trucks everywhere, not understanding that we're there for them. Henny was dooing grosseries and waiting for a truck that was manouvering there.
                            Meanwhile a lady was complaning about what such a big truck comes into the village. while the driver was trying to place the truck between wrong parked cars to the grossery door to unload the goods that such kind of people so barrely need.

About the dirty roads there are 2 choises.
                            This way or no salting or chemicals and no one can go anywhere.
                            Germany don't like salting too, traffic jams all over.
                            At this moment southern Germany is suffering under lots of snow.
                            Here in Holland they salting already before the snow fals or even start to freeze.
                            Traffic jams also, but too many cars while there issn't that much asfalt.
                            Traffic jam is just more , while 85% shit there pants when the first snowflake falls.

But also here the salting is the most on the bigger roads
                            In villages or citys non or what so ever, exept those roads which the public bus take.
                            Even at olderly houses, no salting. Grandpa may break his leg, but no salt there.

But i have mentioned before i like the snow, but we don't get it here like you in Noway, proppably i won't like it then too. LOL
                        Working...
                        X