X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Trondheim

One of the few lighthouses near the city of Trondheim:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Trondheimsfjorden:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ohhh the second thread I’ve just visited which enchants me with moody blues and purples.

Had #921/2 been displayed first, I might for an instant have imagined I’d strayed into the “abandoned” thread –but no, above the graffiti-covered walls the lighthouse is lit, and the first impression of some hidden backwater of the city is quickly dispelled by the footprint-textured snow.
        I'll get out the map later this afternoon…

Comment

Ooh, it's a lighthouse! Cool - I'm crazy in lighthouses!

Comment

I better go on and post my winter pictures from Trondheim, before all traces of the winter melts away. Many thanks to pakarang for being my guide around the town. Not too fun weather, but hey we had some nice hours anyway!

A well known sight, the Kristiansten fort.

The weather is moore than gloomy.

I found the small house in the foreground quite interesting.

Comment

A while later:

On the other side of town, St Olavs hospital.

A maintenance shop for the railway.

And the ride continues...

Comment

Down to the leisure boat harbour:

On the way back to the hotel.

Comment

Later that evening i took a walk in the central parts of the town.

Snarveien, the new bridge over the railway.

Rockheim in snowfall.

Comment

Railway station.

Comment

Oh Tommi, “Blue Trondheim” images!
                      And I LOVE the semi-abstract “Night Ride in Snow” of #926/3, and the wetness of cobbled street and steps and quay. Simply wonderful.

Comment

It now strikes me that #928/1 is exactly the kind of picture I dreamed to be able to shoot in the end of the 90's. Now it kind of was shot without any problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                          It now strikes me that #928/1 is exactly the kind of picture I dreamed to be able to shoot in the end of the 90's. Now it kind of was shot without any problems at all.
                          There are many worth mentioning here, but 928/1 is superb!!!!

May we get technical information, such as camera settings, tripod/monopod and such?

I'm eager learning night shots, and I want to learn from those who can teach me. I love night shots with wet streets...., specially with surfaces like that, wet 'brostein'.
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            There are many worth mentioning here, but 928/1 is superb!!!!

May we get technical information, such as camera settings, tripod/monopod and such?

I'm eager learning night shots, and I want to learn from those who can teach me. I love night shots with wet streets...., specially with surfaces like that, wet 'brostein'.
                            I'm getting more and more fascinated of wet things in all formats, the water brings some kind of a special dimension to the pictures.

The technical stuff: raw picture & ISO3200. Aperture priority with a wide open lens, which in this case is f/4. I have chosen to underexpose with -2/3EV which resulted that the automatic set the exposure time at 1/25 seconds.
                            Image stabilizer in lens, a phographer holding his breath and a bit of luck resulted in decent sharpness.
                            I travelled without a tripod, but with a monopod that I never used... [mental note to myself: stop packing monopods when travelling]

I think there are three technical key aspects that made this picture: I believed that ISO3200 would come out ok, the image stabilzer in the lens and some kind of technique to stand still.
                            And of course the Trondheim rain!

So how to further technically improve this shot?
                            Tripod of course, lower ISO to 200-400, raise aperture to around f/8 and exposure time to whatever the automatic tells you (about 4 secs?).

Comment

Dear Tommi,

Your shots are inspiring and absolutely superb....

And there I was, thinking there was nothing to take pictures of... sometimes, it takes a fresh set of eyes to see the beauty.....

The pleasure was entirely mine!

Comment

Another perspective of Trondheim:

http://kortreist.adressa.no/forside/article18717.ece

Comment

Working...
                                X