No announcement yet.

This is Trondheim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#375 ….love that expression…. but no don’t start me on a caption contest!!!!!!

Actually I’m glad the sun wasn’t bright. Like the feather texture and softer range of tones and then the contrast of the yellow beak.

Comment

One of the reasons I want to come to Trondheim is to spend time at the cathedral's facade. The statuary is AMAZING!

Jan-Olav, how wonderful that you know so much about them!
      I've been fascinated by Gothic cathedral architecture ever since I had to write a paper on it in Art History class in college. I love how the stone masons would train apprentices from the area and then they put their own spin on the carvings. (this happened at St. John the Divine in New York City...Italian stone masons pulled workers who exhibited talent from the neighborhood--Harlem- and trained them. You can see the Latino and African American influences on the gargoyles and grotesques! Wonderful stuff...)

What I love are the faces between the statues. Ordinary folk captured for millennia...

Also having studied clothing as part of costume design.... Statuary is a wonderful reference for any time before paintings became common...it's often the only way to see how people dressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
        #375 ….love that expression…. but no don’t start me on a caption contest!!!!!!
        It reminds me of my brother Ed, who HATES having his photo taken...to the point were he puts his hand up to block his face. The swan seems to be saying "no photos!!!!" lol

Comment

You are so right, Lady E... knowing more about the statues on the west front of the cathedral has been kind of reading the story of Trondheim.

Each of the statues depicts someone, and there is naturally a history behind each person.

Come here, and you'll have yourself a "free" guide!
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Here are some additional images from that recent walk along the banks of Nidelven, just beneath "Nedre Leirfossen" dam....

As mentioned, the weather was kind of grey, so to make these, I had to use my tripod to get the desire effect of flowing water.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I kind of liked the much more blue tone of this image:

Comment

One more.... taken on the walk back to the car:

Comment

Before I leave Nidelven for this time, here are two salmons captured in the river in the past... well, at least, a bragging-plaque of two of them:

Comment

these are wonderful...I love the blue one especially!

So if I come to Trondheim, I will have a "free" guide? Why is "free" in quotation marks? Is there a hidden price attached to the guide????? mwahahahahahaha

Comment

Nice pictures from your walk along the river, pakarang
                      Beautiful composition of the swan in picture # 367 and photographs of the river, beautiful work.
                      Best wishes from
                      Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                        Is there a hidden price attached to the guide????? mwahahahahahaha
                        It all depends on services required...

...and thank you both for the kind comments!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          It all depends on services required...
                          Oh, there are so many MANY things I could say....but I will refrain.....

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                            ....Is there a hidden price attached to the guide????? mwahahahahahaha
                            EVERYTHING in Norway is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Now you probably think I’d go for the blue one too, pakarang, but actually it’s #382, the “so nearly black and white but magically not” which completely stopped me in my tracks.

It’s the composition, more than even the subtle colours and the play of light, which did it for me.
                              In the blue one the various bands of dark bank, snow-covered bank, and bits of trees at the top which don’t quite work. Even just the water part of the image has the similar shapes of dark rock and light waves too much to one side in a vertical column.

But, #382 is perfection, and seems to inhabit that rare indefinable place between realistic photo and abstract image.

Comment

Construction work

Much construction work is taking place in and around "Ytre Havnebasseng".

A new pier for the HSC craft is constructed.

What kind of work Boa Lift and tug Tambur is doing, I don't know.

(Dull weather and pocket camera)

Comment

Working...
                                X