No announcement yet.

This is Trondheim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Oden" as seen in Trondheim is original from the yard in 1988.

Oden link:
    http://www.sjofartsverket.se/en/Abou...ebreaker-Oden/

Why it is in Trondheim, I don't know....
    Last edited by Sterkoder; July 4th, 2010, 20:10.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Oden is very deceiving. She does not look large enough to have a 40 TEU container capacity and two saunas.

I can only imagine the sound of breaking 1.9 meter ice.

Comment

Thanks, Sterkoder for the link.
        Looks like from the drawings that the hull shape is original.

Another special visitor today:
        MV Expedition of Monrovia.

Tugboat "Chief" and barge "Dompstein" with what looks like clay, from a construction site:

Strange how Munkholmen manage to sneak into many of my pictures.

Comment

MV Expedition
          If you take away the duck-tail, this vessel has an unmistakable stern of a scandinavian car/pax ferry of the 70's
          (And just to repeat myself even one more time: I don't laike duck-tails at all!)

Comment

Great images Nichu... so glad that you also got the ODEN... I haven't had that chance yet.

I got some of EXPEDITION this morning though, when she passed my ferry. I'll have them posted... soon..

PS: Expedition used to be a VIKING LINE ferry sailing the Baltic before (just don't recall her previous name... )
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

If you take away the duck-tail, this vessel has an unmistakable stern of a scandinavian car/pax ferry of the 70's
              Expedition is the 1972 built ropax ferry Kattegat (Grenå - Hundested), sold 1978 as Tiger (Dover - Boulogne) and since 1986 Ålandsfärjan (Viking Line) until sold and rebuilt in 2008 as Expedition. In 2009 she was to find in Hurtigrutens Svalbard prospects for a short time until she disappeared before the season started.
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---
              IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                ....PS: Expedition used to be a VIKING LINE ferry sailing the Baltic before (just don't recall her previous name... )
                It was Ålandsfärjan.

Edit:- OOps - just noticed that I crossed posts with Sigve's last night in my rush to answer pakarang's query.
                And that happened even though this was possibly my shortest ever post (and didn't even have any exclamation marks!) Must really learn to type faster
                Last edited by Seagull; July 6th, 2010, 09:36. Reason: crossed posts (again!)

Comment

Have been informed in another forum that the ODEN will work with the seismic vessel GEO EXPLORER, northeast of Greenland.

GEO EXPLORER, yesterday:

Comment

Edit:- OOps - just noticed that I crossed posts with Sigve's last night in my rush to answer pakarang's query.
                    And that happened even though this was possibly my shortest ever post (and didn't even have any exclamation marks!) Must really learn to type faster
                    Next time, Seagull, it's your turn to beat me.....
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---
                    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

The Crown Princess watching her ship, - or just dreaming ?

Shore leave - not for all:

Comment

Thank you for the images, Nichu!

Just one question:
                        Why do they need that radar mounted low on the stern....?
                        Is it some kind of "backing" radar..?

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                          Just one question: Why do they need that radar mounted low on the stern....? Is it some kind of "backing" radar..?
                          Very helpful when transiting places where pirates are known to operate: Straits of Malacca, Somalian Coast, and as you say, when backing into small spaces.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichu View Post
                            The Crown Princess watching her ship, - or just dreaming ?
                            Wonderful capture, her red shirt works VERY well in the composition!

Comment

The area behind and around the stern is a blind zone for the main radar.

This looks like a 3cm band radar, and is very good in short range.
                              Not so in rain and heavy seas.

Must mention a flotel I was on.
                              In addition to a 10cm radar on the top mast, there were a 3cm on all four corners. (At least two of them unnecessary)
                              And an extra radar screen in the engine control room.
                              The building specifications were of course written by engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichu View Post
                                This looks like a 3cm band radar, and is very good in short range.
                                Yes, totally agree with Nichu, this is a 3 cm radar, good for short range... purposes as mentioned above in my previous post.

Comment

Working...
                                X