Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Jan Mayen

Hello all,

I went on a cruise through the North-Atlantic in June and we were lucky enough to go ashore in Jan Mayen .. I thought I could post a few pictures here.

As I understood, it is not unusual that ships can't land there because of unfavourable weather conditions.
    Unluckily, there was much fog, so we could not see the volcano (actually we missed the very few sunny days of the year by a couple of days only! ..)

It was a nice/weird feeling to be on that remote island and imagine the life of the 18 Norwegians leaving there at the weather station.

First view of the island: ... MV Ortelius stops after two full days at sea. But where is the island ??

Then we board the zodiacs, have a ride in the mist, and then ...

Re: This is Jan Mayen

We have a welcome by the Lieutenant-Commander who stays there for a year.

He takes us to Olonkin city

(maybe one of our Norwegian members could translate please ? - from what I've been told and seen people staying there have a (good) sense of humour..)

Comment

Near the station...

I like the tiny arctic flowers

Comment

Originally posted by PanjiS View Post

(maybe one of our Norwegian members could translate please ? - from what I've been told and seen people staying there have a (good) sense of humour..)
        The sign says something like this:

"Theory is when you understand everything, but nothing works.
        Practice is when everything works and nobody understands why.

At this station we combine theory and practice so that nothing works and nobody understands why.
        Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Back to the ship

After visiting the station, some people went for a 9-km walk across the island and others would go on a cruise round the island in the south. I chose the latter option, in the hope of seeing the island from sea. At some point on the other side of the island the fog cleared up a bit...

Comment

The sign says something like this:

"Theory is when you understand everything, but nothing works.
            Practice is when everything works and nobody understands why.

At this station we combine theory and practice so that nothing works and nobody understands why.
            Thank you Øistein for the translation !

Comment

After the cruise, the weather station workers who came on board to see their island from sea (they never have the opportunity to do it), waved goodbye. They were quite happy to have been able to eat some fresh fruit and vegetable !

And we would get ready for the second landing of the day at Walrus bay (kvalrossbukta).

Dutch whalers used to have their base there.

Comment

When I casually clicked on “New Posts” as usual, I was not prepared for what was about to happen! Excitement scarcely describes how I felt when four unexpected words seemed to jump out at me from the computer screen …This is Jan Mayen…. And so a tantalising name and dot on the map has now joined the atlas of amazing places visited by us CaptainsVoyagers and shared here!

I marvelled at the feeing of anticipation in that first photo as the ship arrived in the fog …and then that first glimpse of the shore from the zodiac. The subsequent welcome, #2 is so simply evocative and a really outstanding image.

And so I chuckled at the station motto, and thought about the life of those working there. Thanks for specifically mentioning about the rare opportunity for them to see their island from a different viewpoint –the sea. That particularly fascinated me, and led to thinking about perception and sense of place.
                Then I realised I’d waved at my computer as they waved goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  Then I realised I’d waved at my computer as they waved goodbye.
                  This is so funny, I raised my hand to do about the same thing!
                  Thank you so much for these pictures and sharing this experience PanjiS, it must be really something to be able to visit such a remote and "hard to get to" place. As we discover it with you through the fog, I feel like it's a place you have to earn, a place you can't take for granted. It opens itself only to a few and it is quite a privilege. And yet as Seagull mentions, this is the point of view of the tourists. I feel that for the people working here, the feeling must be different. Daily life here must have its reward, but also its very real and down-to-earth difficulty (you mention fresh fruits...How much do we take *these* for granted?). It's a life that fascinates me (as well as the life of people doing scientific campaigns in the Peri-Antarctic islands. Would I be able to do it?).
                  The landscape, the drift wood, the overcast sky, remind me a lot of Svalbard.
                  MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                  Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
                  My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

I'm glad you like this thread ... I thought I had to share it with you. I'll continue with a few photos then, even if I don't have that many ...

The landscape, the drift wood, the overcast sky, remind me a lot of Svalbard.
                    It reminded me a bit of Svalbard too. But what I enjoyed a lot, and you can't do in Svalbard, is the possibility to wander about by yourself there..as there is not threat for polar bears (no need for staying in a group with the guide). I realized it was the first time I had been completely on my own on an arctic trip and that was something special, even if it lasted only a couple of hours..

The people living there (many young people - for six months in a row, except for the commander), seemed to really love being there. They have a few huts scattered in the island where they go on "week-ends". A couple of days after we came, they had the visit of a supply ship, that they have every couple of months I guess only.

I liked to look at this web site before the trip
                    http://www.jan-mayen.no/
                    (in the Old news section - June - they mention our ship).

The subsequent welcome, #2 is so simply evocative and a really outstanding image.
                    The commander shaked our hands when we landed from the zodiacs - it was quite an unexpected and very appreciated welcome!
                    Last edited by PanjiS; July 29th, 2013, 22:57.

Comment

Remnants of the whalers' station here.

(we could not go near the hut as there were a lot of birds by the shore and we would have disturbed them ...)

Comment

I have to admit that I'm still not very good at naming birds ...

Goind for a ride near the cliffs .. I waited a long time by the shore looking at the birds ..

They could be approached until very near - I don't have too big a zoom on my camera

Comment

Raabynubben

I had a 5 minutes of silence here ... It felt so good!!
                          I can still hear the silence If I close my eyes (except for the birds singing)

Comment

Comment

I can hear the silence in your pictures as well (if that makes sense... But they give me a feeling of peace).
                              Thank you!
                              MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                              Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
                              My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Working...
                              X