Is Norway a racist country???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Norway a racist country???

I have just looked at some of the 320 or so comments on smp.no re: Use of foreign flag in the 17.May parade in Aalesund.
    It is quite depressing to see the level of the debate, but most of all the attitude of the majority.

What it is all about is whether Aspoy School, which is the most nationally diverse school in Aalesund, celebrating their 90th anniversary this year, should be allowed to let their pupils of foreign extraction carry a little paper flag, with the flag of their country of origin on one side and the Norwegian flag on the other. The pupils had made the flags themselves for a celebration at the school earlier.

The school was given the honour of marching first in the parade and would be carrying large Norwegian Flags and their School Banner first. All the ethnic Norwegian pupils who wanted to would be waving normal fabric Norwegian flags.

This caused probably the greatest number of comments ever on smp.no, most of them; "why should we allow "them" to carry "their" flag on "our" national day"????

Here in Singapore 17.May was celebrated in the traditional way, with a parade at Fort Canning Park, with Norwegian flags by a mixture of "ethnic" and "mixed" Norwegians, (even some dressed in "bunad") without anybody protesting that they were showing a foreign flag and marching on Singapore soil.

This was also going on in many places around the world with large Norwegian, or Norwegian descended, population. (Here it is approx. 1,600 people + abt. 200 students and some tourists)

In Norway they were watching the spectacle, from several foreign venues, on their TV, feeling proud that Norwegians were "showing the flag".

But when some Norwegians of foreign descent want to show where they originated from, it causes uproar. Why???

For those reading Norwegian, here is an article and 236 of the comments: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article7457099.ece.
    (There is 85 similar comments on another article about the same subject)

Conclusion: Norwegians living abroad should keep their identity. Foreigners living in Norway should forget where they come from a.s.a.p.

There is two possible names for this; hypocracy or racism. Which one do you vote for???
    Last edited by ombugge; May 22nd, 2013, 16:55.

Re: Is Norway a racist country???

I doubt that I have studied this case from all viewpoints, but I would say it is OK if children want to carry around a small flag from their home country together with the Norwegian one on the Norwegian national day.

But to say, or even suggest, that Norway is a racist country based on this concrete case would be 'not quite correct'.
    Imagine our country in pitch black darkness. Then media find something they want to put the spot light on. All we readers/viewers see, is of course what's in the light. But remember; Norway is so much more than one case in the media.

So no, Norway is not a racist country....., and Norwegians in Singapore does not gather in bunads and wave Norwegian flags without inhibitions on 9th August either...., or...?

But I agree with you 'Ombugge', children should be allowed to walk in the parade with the flag of their country of origin on one side and the Norwegian flag on the other.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

In my opinion, this matter is about two questions: How do we feel about foreign flags in the parade? And are willing to forbid what we don't like?

Personally I would lift an eye brow if I saw other flags in a parade whos celebrating Norways Constitution. I also think it is more including if also our new fellow norwegians are being looked at as norwegians. But on the other hand I would not support a ban either because that contradicts everything we want to support and celebrate: Freedom of speech and expression, democracy.

But the bottom line: this "conflict" is created my mass media. In my town I have never experienced anyone using other flags. And I know people from quite a lot of countries living here, including my own wife

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        I doubt that I have studied this case from all viewpoints, but I would say it is OK if children want to carry around a small flag from their home country together with the Norwegian one on the Norwegian national day.

But to say, or even suggest, that Norway is a racist country based on this concrete case would be 'not quite correct'.
        Imagine our country in pitch black darkness. Then media find something they want to put the spot light on. All we readers/viewers see, is of course what's in the light. But remember; Norway is so much more than one case in the media.

So no, Norway is not a racist country....., and Norwegians in Singapore does not gather in bunads and wave Norwegian flags without inhibitions on 9th August either...., or...?

But I agree with you 'Ombugge', children should be allowed to walk in the parade with the flag of their country of origin on one side and the Norwegian flag on the other.
        I just raised the question, not saying or suggesting anything.

My contention was not so much about the two articles on smp.no, which was balanced, informative and un-biased. It was about the comments from the public.

As for Norwegians participating in the National Day celebration in Singapore; some do, but not wearing Bunad. (Not a very practical attire in tropical heat)

Since Singapore's National Day was brought up, let me just clarify:
        Abt. 1/3 of Singapore's population of 5 Mill. are either foreign nationals, or naturalized citizens. (Born in a foreign country, with foreign nationality) ALL are of immigrant stock, just like in America.
        Singapore has 3 main races; Chinese, Malays and Indians, and a 4th category called; others, which encompass citizens and permanent residents with background from all over the world, incl. Norway.

On national day all races and nationalities are encouraged to show their "true colour", by wearing traditional dress, or carry their flag, together with the Singapore flag. (One year this was the theme of the ND Parade) The majority is, however, wearing and carrying red and white on that day, since they are 2nd or 3rd generation Singaporean.

This is part of keeping this melting pot free from racial problems, and creating a safe and inclusive environment for all. So far this has succeeded, but it wouldn't take much to break it down. Anybody posting derogative racial or religious comments or statements on the web can and will be identified and fined, or even jailed, if not repenting.
        Is this too strict??? NO, it is necessary to avoid a repeat of the 1969 race riot in Malaysia and Singapore.

Norway should be a model of racial harmony, since it is still largely a h0mogeneous society, with just a sprinkling of foreigners, mostly of European stock.
        Let people who originate in other countries, be it Sweden or Somalia, be able to be proud of their heritage, yet be Norwegian citizen as good as any.

Norwegians are VERY proud of the fact that Americans of Norwegian descent keep up the 17. May traditions and eat "Lutefisk".
        Why can't they accept that kids with non-Norwegian background is proud of their origin?

PS> This years ND Parade in Singapore will be based on Racial Harmony again, with the slogan: Many Stories… One Singapore
        Last edited by ombugge; May 23rd, 2013, 09:16. Reason: Add PS

Comment

Let people who originate in other countries, be it Sweden or Somalia, be able to be proud of their heritage, yet be Norwegian citizen as good as any......... Many Stories… One Singapore
          With the substitution of any country for those named, a recipe for harmony indeed. But it has to come from within the people themselves. And I just cannot believe that where you have an indiginous population starting to be "invaded", not in a one-off situation but continuously and on a larger and larger scale, there is not going to be trouble. Humans, like most animals, are territorial creatures, with a "keep out of my area" mentality.
          In England we are reaching boiling point with the amount of immigration steadily increasing, not because of the influx per se but because of the real or imaginary privileges and front-of-the-queue treatment that seems to be accorded those arriving. Housing is THE big problem. Resentment is growing and, with incidents such as the barbaric murder at Woolwich yesterday, muddled thinking leads down the "damn all foreigners" road.
          Oh yes, I know that even without the Scottish, Welsh and Irish elements, the English are of mixed race indeed, whether we talk about the invading Vikings, Romans, Normans or the rest of the hordes! It has given us the delight of a rich language derived from many sources. But in more recent centuries incomers have been in relatively small numbers, easily absorbed and, let's face it, mostly of the same colour and therefore not so easily recognised as foreign - until these last few decades, that is.
          Yes, call me a pessimist!

I was interested, by the way, to learn that Indians are among the three main groups in Singapore. I had not realised that.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

this "conflict" is created my mass media
            My point exactly.
            And a widely used arguement is that one about Norwegians living abroad celebrate their native country largely with Norwegian flags and all, but they usually do that on the 17. May..., don't they...?

As you might iterpret my former post, I'm all ok with other flags in the 17. May parade, but what we celebrate is the constitution day of Norway and the Norwegian colours of red/white/blue and our flag isn't it...?

The Norwegians usually never say anything when not native Norwegians want to celebrate their national days...., all "foreign" inhabitants do that...., as does 'proud Norwegians' in the USA on 17. May, in Singapore on the 17. May and every other place there might be a Norwegian.

All this with the children in Ålesund and their foreign flags in "our" parade is a constructed problem. Constructed by, and heated up by, the media...
            Last edited by Sterkoder; May 23rd, 2013, 16:30.
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              My point exactly.
              All this with the children in Ålesund and their foreign flags in "our" parade is a constructed problem. Constructed by, and heated up by, the media...
              I repeat my earlier statement:
              My contention was not so much about the two articles on smp.no, which was balanced, informative and un-biased. It was about the comments from the public.
              I hope some lessons were learnt from the 22. July "incident"
              Last edited by ombugge; May 23rd, 2013, 17:24.

Comment

No comments, just a link: http://www.thelocal.no/20140219/thre...n-north-norway

Comment

This fellow has some veered ideas for someone living in a Norwegian colony in Spain, without any attempt at integrating: http://www.thelocal.no/20140217/teac...-care-progress

Comment

I post this without comments: http://www.thelocal.no/20150914/norw...efugee-support

Just wait for it if this should come to pass: http://www.thelocal.no/20150915/musl...ter-poll-shock

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Here is another proposal: http://www.thelocal.no/20150914/norw...s-for-refugees

If Norway starts passport control on the boarder with Sweden there will be an outcry. There hasn't been any real control for decades, long time before Shengen.
                      Guess who will be blamed??

Close the boarder and there will be "starvation" in areas within 2-3 hrs. drive from Sweden, since they do their grocery shopping in Sweden.
                      Even worst, if no Swedish "migrants" are allowed in, who is going to work in restaurants and bars in Norway??

Next problem; there are many crossings that hasn't been manned for years. Where are they going to find the people to man these boarder crossings 24/7??
                      At 37.5 hrs/week/pers. it will take 4.5 pers. to fill just one position at each crossing. (Not counting extra requirements during X-mas, Easter and in May and July)

Who was the bright politician (or bureaucrat??) that thought up this one??

There are some that claim to be non-racists, yet cannot tolerate people of a different "ideology", Islam: http://www.norwaynews.com/en/~view.p...Xk76FHm353N6h8

Why are there so many Norwegian flags at a Pegida anti-Muslim demonstration in Germany??:

Comment

• Oistein
                      Oistein commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Most of the flags in the picture are not Norwegian, they are flaggs from the Orkney Islands. Red, yellow and white.
                      Do not know if the users know the difference, but .....

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes I noticed that some of the flags are that of the Orkney, but I assume that is from ignorance, or whatever. (Lots of people don't know about the Orkney flag)
                      The question remains; has the Norwegian flag become some sort of symbol for the Pegida movement in Germany and beyond??
                      (And/or Norwegian policy towards asylum seekers become a model for such movements in Europe??)

From smp.no today: http://www.smp.no/ntb/innenriks/2017...ick_articles=3

Is this a wakeup call to the politicians and bureaucrats that is tasked with handling refugees and asylum seekers that Norway has turned from being seen as a country that protected and assisted people in need, both in Norway and abroad, to one that is leading in brutally (or ignorantly??) returning such people with the flimsiest of excuses to meet a "quota" set by the political leadership.

Maybe the mood of a Case Officer on a bad day is enough to send a person back to an uncertain future, even after years in Norway waiting for a decision?? (In this case 8 years)

Maybe the job title for the "Innvandrings- og integreringsminister" Sylvi Listhaug (Frp) should be changed to "Utestenging og Utsendings Minister"??

Comment

Working...
                    X