No announcement yet.

This is Stavanger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new week-end in Stavanger, 23.-25. November 2018 to attend a Christmas party (julebord).
    I decided to travel without my Pentax, so all the following pictures are taken with my iPhone 6S.

View from room 312 at Clarion Skagen Brygge Hotel Friday night. The old MS SANDNES with Christmas lights
    IMG_4828 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The following morning, it all looked like this
    ​​​​​​IMG_4829 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Skagen street
    ​​​​​​IMG_4831 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Down Breigata
    ​​​​​IMG_4832 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Øvre Holmegate
    ​​​​​​IMG_4835 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Area outside the oil museum
    ​​​​​​IMG_4836 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

An old oil drilling head
    IMG_4839 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Kirkegata
    ​​​​​​IMG_4840 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Cardinal Pub in Skagen street
      ​​​​​​IMG_4841 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The old steamboat ROGALAND moored in Vågen at Skagenkaien
      ​​​​​​IMG_4842 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMG_4843 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMG_4845 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMG_4846 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMG_4847 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Clarion Skagen Brygge hotel in the middle of the picture
      IMG_4848 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Detail from DS ROGALAND
      IMG_4849 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

The view (yes, I know it's the wrong thread)
        ​​​​​​IMG_4852 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The Old Town, walking into Øvre Strandgate
        ​​​​​​IMG_4853 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMG_4855 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Old and new times meet via Blidensolstredet
        ​​​​​​IMG_4862 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Øvre Strandgate
        ​​​​​​IMG_4863 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A house in the Tidegeilen street
        ​​​​​​IMG_4867 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Smallest library in the world? "Take a book - bring a book"
        ​​​​​​IMG_4865 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Tidegeilen street towards the yellow house in Øvre Strandgate
        IMG_4868 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Photographer with an old analog Hasselblad in action
          ​​​​​​IMG_4869 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

DS ROGALAND funnel in b/w
          ​​​​​​IMG_4871 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Towards Breiavatnet pond in Byparken
          ​​​​​​IMG_4872 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A tree in Byparken. Guess the decoration is for Christmas
          ​​​​​​IMG_4873 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A pitstop before going to the airport for the return flight home. And I still wonder what it is with Starbucks. The coffee taste like any other, and the lemon loaf taste like "factory" made.
          IMG_4875 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Skagentorget square
          ​​​​​​IMG_4876 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A local told me there is a contest each year, to win the "bad taste" Christmas decoration. Looks like Beverly Hills Fun Pub (far left) win this year (and they had more to come, but we had to go).
          ​​​​​​IMG_4877 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Thank you for this wonderful walk. Yes the shadows are quite extreme during this time of the year. I like of course the ship pictures, don't worry about thread questions, just post them double! I had to smile, when i saw #33/4!! Starbucks is factory, what did your think?
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              About Starbucks;
              After all the talk about Starbucks (not only here) in rather positive ways, I thought one would feel and taste a bit of quality after a visit.
              I'm just going to let Starbucks be Starbucks, as I can find good taste coffee other places too.
              The best coffee I have ever tasted, no matter who made it, I drank in the restaurant in the radio- and communication tower in Hamburg.
              I guess that restaurant is no longer spinning around.

• Ralf__
              Ralf__ commented
              Editing a comment
              No, they closed it in 2001 because of asbestos. Now there are new rules for fire prevention. Too expensive.
              Coffee is improving. People want better quality. Starbucks offers more flavour than quality i suppose.

Starbucks started up in Canberra at quite few places - all barely lasted a couple of years. When I tried it once,I figured bilgewater would have tasted better.....

Comment

• nari
              nari commented
              Editing a comment
              I am rather awed by the fact such an old ship is still around, and in good condition, it seems. Looks like there have been many layers of paint on her. Norwegians seem to take great pride in preservation which adds so much to the interest in wandering around bits of the country.

What an awesome collection of photographs - particularly those of the old steamer Rogaland. I find it truly fascinating that we in 2018 are still able to walk the quay side and look at a ship out of another era.

I have to agree, coffee has come a long way around the world, and in Norway. Starbucks WAS probably the best place many years ago, but they have lost their charm. Starbucks at Solsiden in Trondheim recently closed down as well, stating that they could not agree upon a rental price of the location.

But, automatic coffee machines at for example 7-11 and Narvesen has now become so good, that they are talking a serious bite out of all coffee bars, Starbucks, Kaffebrenneriet, Dromedar and all others. I strongly believe that within the next 5-10 years, many of these places will disappear as self service machines are readily available almost everywhere, taste as good as any other place (I don't taste the difference) and a much cheaper option.

I'm a regular at not only my own café but also a very good customer of 7-11 self service coffee machines.

PS: The best thing seeing this update in Stavanger thread was that I also saw PoloUK's images from way back.... don't remember seeing them before! Stavanger is a great city!
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A nice "bouquet" of pictures from Stavanger, really enjoyed these!

Comment

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you.
                I was kind of curious on how I would manage a hole week-end without my Pentax. My conclusion is that if one does not need to be artistic in anyway (play with depth of field, shutter speed, zoom and such) a mobile phone camera might be more than enough to carry :-)

Thank you guys! :-) As I said; they are all iPhone-pictures :-)

About the coffee-talk; I think Jan-Olav is quite correct. But, the introduction of very good coffee in self service machines does not mean that the coffee bars HAS to shut down.
              I'm not a frequent user of such places, but I belive they have to offer more than just coffee in may versions. I mean, over (way over) mediocre service, start to cooperate with artists (painters, photographers, book writers etc.), to build a cozy environment in the bar, a place one can experience something too, (watch art, watch or gaze at photos, listen to an author read from his/her book, interviews with interesting people etc., etc.) and not only sit down and drink coffee, or latte, or whatever.

The life is passing way fast enough to get coffee from a machine and drink it on the move too.

Dromedar ended its service in Kristiansund, but that was for family reasons, not rent price, few customers or anything else.
              The new coffee shop, called Bar-e Kaffe Lunch og Kaffebar, cooperate with a photographer, who get to use the walls as some kind of an exhibition area, and they let him/her (I don't know who) sell pictures from the bar. (It might have changed, I have never been there).
              But this show something of what I mean; the employees MUST see the customer, each and every one, they MUST look like they are genuine interested in selling coffee, lunch or what ever to you, the service must be perfect, the locality MUST be clean, there MUST be enough electrical power points for lap-tops, mobile phones, iPads and so on and it MUST be like you really want to go back there.

(Hmmm..., why do I work with chain slings and rusty old containers in all kind of weather, why don't I educate myself into a barista and have a go? Mohahahahahahaha )

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm..., why do I work with chain slings and rusty old containers in all kind of weather, why don't I educate myself into a barista and have a go?
                That is a good question. Why don't you??? A Coffee Bar with it's own artistic photographer as the Owner and Barista may catch on. (Provided there are enough photo interested and coffee loving people for two such places in Ballsund City)

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, thanks for believing in me :-)

Second; I'm 55 and HAVE to have a sure income to cover ugly yellow bills dropping into my mailbox every second day. (Bad argument, I know).
                If there are enough coffee loving and photo interested people in Kristiansund?
                I guess so, as Kristiansund is the Photography Capital of Norway, hosting the biggest, best and most renown photography festival in northern Europe (stated by the visiting world famous photographers, not me).
                Once I made a photo book from my two visits at the abandoned psychiatric hospital at Hjelset near Molde. I gave one to the Master photographer Morten Krogvold, and his comment (among others) was: -"Why don't you bet more on photography? Why don't you go for it?".
                My answer? Well, the bad argument from line one here....
                (I guess he also ment that I should have a go at his Step 1 Workshop in Vågå, but with a job, house, car, spouse, dog and commitments around the daily life, I can't be gone for 7 full days at over NOK 14.000,- just like that).

Then again, there are many people just like you, telling me they kind of think I'm at the wrong shelf in life. So thanks for all your support, anyway :-)

Very interesting about the coffee-talk, even though I started that digression. I'm very passionate about coffee, and I plan to go for a Barista course back in Thailand some time in the near future.

I agree that niche places certainly has a place for themselves: coffee bar and art-center. There are quite a few of them around Trondheim right now, and more coming.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• pakarang
                pakarang commented
                Editing a comment
                hahahahaha.... good one, ombugge!

The story of Palaeng is the story of a lot of tears and really hard work. If there is an interest, I might write more about this in another thread, but after trying to open a take-away restaurant in downtown Trondheim, I have learned a lot of not necessarily positive things about opening and trying to do something in Norway. They say, that opening a "restaurant" (including any food related place) is the absolutely hardest things you can do in Norway.

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                It's several years ago, decades, that the right-wing orientated parties proclaimed that it should be easier to start a business in Norway. They wanted to kill some of the paperwork.
                When I got laid off from Swire Oilfield Services in April 2016, the first thing I did was to register a "one-man-band" company/business in photography, with the business register in Brønnøysund. I called it FotoLudvigsen (it's still alive), but during the "simple" registry work, I soon found out that I HATE such paperwork, so starting a business was a no-go for me.
                I can understand what you've been through with Palaeng, as I worked together with a guy at Swire who has a wife from Thailand. They just started 'Thai Food by Renu' near the cinema and I heard some of what they had to go through. But now, it's up and running, and they are doing good :-)
                https://www.facebook.com/Thai-food-b...9594919449028/

• pakarang
                pakarang commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Sterkoder... yes, I've heard about Renu's Thai food a while back and followed their FB page when I returned to FB myself.

It'll be exciting to see where Palaeng is in one year, and if we are still in business.
            Working...
            X