No announcement yet.

This is the Atlantic Road

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last week, I drove to the Atlantic Road to experience the early morning light. Never done that before. This first one was taken around 8 o'clock local

First sunbeams at the mountain near Farstadsanden

Nice scenery also the opposite way...., way out in the Norwegian Sea (note the shadowy beams, a bit hard to spot maybe)

Kvitholmen lighthouse in the morning sun

Photographers say a photographers hour is half an hour before sunrise, half an hour after sunrise (same around sunset). This picture was taken within that half an hour after sunrise...

As always during the winter, I'm all alone out here

Storseisundet inlet (under the bridge to the left there)

Storseisundet bridge
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

On the edge

Eldhusøya cafè

The cafè in the opposite direction

A detail from the remainds of an old house

The concrete remainds where the water tap came out of the wall, and the Atlantic Road area seen towards east

A detail near the water tap

Felt like in the end of any Looney Tunes (looking through a steel drain pipe)

Comment

• yvneac
        yvneac commented
        Editing a comment
        Superb aesthetic view of Eldhusoya café.I can't say about technic but here we have a true personal interpretation of a site.

• Sterkoder
        Sterkoder commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. You know, I guess I will soon run out of motifs, as I belive I've photographed the Atlantic Road in every possible direction.
        The only pictures I really would want to take, are extreme bad weather ones..., windy and wavey (if that's a word).

Peace and quiet. No need for anti-stress medicine when you have a 45 minutes drive to the Atlantic Road

Then I trespassed a property to get down to an old and weathertorn warehouse. The property was not fenced in, so....

The low sunlight made a very nice light beneath the warehouse

Last picture for now, taken through a torn down wall

Comment

That was a nice morning walk, even when i did it in the afternoon. Thank you for taking me with you! Superb light and colours.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

These pictures really look lovely, definetely better here than on FB.

It's all about light, that's why #196:2 looks a bit boring in the foreground, nothing that you could do as a photographer.
          #197:6 - have thought about the half of the wire is actually out of focus? Just a small detail, but it would be a more striking image if everything were in focus. Yes, it's quite hard to see in the field.

Comment

• Sterkoder
            Sterkoder commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for your comments here, Tommi.
            Yes, I agree as to the boring look of #196/2, but my main focus for that picture was the first rays of sun of the day on that mountain.
            Had we been two photographers, I could possibly make it less boring by placing a person in the foreground.
            But since I was alone, it's all like you say: nothing a photographer could do about it..., I suppose.
            Last edited by Sterkoder; February 26th, 2016, 02:21.

I like Atlanterhavsveien, but up to now I have not had the opportunity to drive there in bad weather. Are you aware of the Youtube video entitled "Worlds most dangerous route - ever"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUm-Ns2Ea6w
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---
          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            26 million views? Interesting film yes, but dangerous?
            I think this road seems to be a lot more dangerous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Mz9hmZBQ0

• Sterkoder
            Sterkoder commented
            Editing a comment
            Atlantic Road the most dangerous road?????? How can it be??
            The guy could never have heard about driving in Burma, Nepal and those places then....

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            Even in a secondary road in deep Normandy!!...

A very low tide in March made it possible to walk under one of the bridges at the Atlantic Road. Here's a small fishingboat on its way under the bridge in Vevangstraumen.

A couple of swans wondered if I had anything eatable..., which I didn't

Then another fishing boat came in from the ocean and the swans left me

Last picture for now, on my way home from Bud. This is the new cafè at Eldhusøya and Storseisundet bridge as seen from Geitøya

Comment

Just a handful of pictures this time, from a short stop last Friday

A seagull soars over the road

A small fishing boat returns from the fields out in the ocean

Special light in the fog/mist

Is this a sign of boredom or a cry for a closed area to burn out and drive their cars like they can't do on public roads?

Anyway, we draw a line over this kind of crazy driving...

Comment

We were also there on Friday Svein!

You are right about the light - whilst blue sky, or better still a raging storm, may have been more dramatic, the blues and greys are spectacular in their own right.

Think this one is taken from the same place as one in your previous batch ...

Don't want to look to closely at what's holding some of the viewpoints up ...

Bendy bridge and bendy path.

And the classic shot - only a few million of these taken every year!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

So close and yet so far apart....
                We stopped at the far end of the bridge in your first picture, by the cross marked column and fishing gangways. Nice report from you there :-)

We were there at around 4:30 PM

Comment

Another stop at the Atlantic Road..., and the Column Atlantica a week ago or so

From the area around the column bites, we see towards the lighthouse Kråka (Crow) and the container ship CONCORDIA sailing past towards Orkanger

Nice lines and shapes in the clouds/skyscape

Comment

Nice new additions, and I truly mean that. I've been thinking about the concept of photos in the past weeks... it is really hard to take new pictures and make them stand out from all those that have been taken in the past. These new additions are capturing wonderful moments and I can feel the atmosphere through them.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Atlantic Road during the recent stormy weather: http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/135362/v...litt-for-naere
                      Those Dutchies don't know when to quit.

Comment

• nari
                        nari commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Neither do some of our oz rock fishermen who turn their backs on large incoming waves. Several die every spring and summer, but the attraction never ceases, despite harsh warnings not to go there.

Mr. Bond seems to visit the Atlantic Road in the next installation:

Comment

• Sterkoder
                        Sterkoder commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, but no one knows if the scenes will remain in the final cut.
                        Reason? The national BMW-club had a meeting at Atlantic Road a couple of weeks before, and either they were brainless or didn't think about what they did, the club used their BMWs to burn, drift and other crazy stuff so that the asphalt on the road had all sorts of patterns after burned rubber.
                        Confronted, the leader of the club said "they didn't know" that scenes for the next Bond movie would be shot there.
                        Don't they watch the news, don't they bother to read papers are none of them on Facebook?
                        That was the most stupid comment ever heard from a car club.

• Ralf__
                        Ralf__ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't know, if it's because of the brand, but there is quite a lot of "fans" of these cars, which don't seem to be equipped with a lot of intelligence. A pity, because BMW has a lot of racing tradition and don't deserves to be disqualified by such idiots.

Let's hope and pray the sequences shot out there will make the final cut, because it will be great PR for one of the worlds most beautiful roads according to some.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
                        Sterkoder commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, let's hope they manage to erase the tracks in post production.
                        Anyway, I'm happy to live only half an hour away from the Atlantic Road, so that I can experience it in any season, light condition and weather..., AND all alone (!) if I want to, outside the tourist season ;-)
                    Working...
                    X