No announcement yet.

This is Oslo - Capital City of Norway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 'So Specials':- ...Slottsplassen and the Opera in the foggy light, the observation of the 'glasses that weren't'. the curve of the temporary tram-passage, and the always irresistible 'Sinnataggen'.
    Oh, and add the very interesting info about Glosimodt’s kiosks, and of course the wonderful reason for your trip in post #154. :-)

Comment

Great photos Svein - I suspect you missed my appreciative post 156, 'cos I replied before you'd finished posting. The Vigeland photos brought back other memories of working in Oslo. Between Vigeland and the road up to Smestad is a graveyard, right next to Borgen station on the T-Banen. We were fitting an equipment hut out on the railway there, which involved driving through the graveyard, frequently at night, usually on our own. One of my dear, now late, colleagues had to get there late one evening and didn't have a car. So, Billy walked from the station through the graveyard to the hut. All was still, there was no-one around and it was pitch-black. It was eerie enough as it was, but the little 'grave lights' were flickering on many of the graves (little long burning candles), which made it even worse. Billy bravely trudged on until suddenly a figure rose from one of the graves closest to him - lit up in the flickering on the candles - and ran away at full pelt!! Poor Billy nearly had a heart attack - he didn't realise that there was a Tramp asleep on one of the stones!! Only slightly off thread, but funny how images invoke memories.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Great to know you enjoyed my walk C ;-)
        Yes Mark, I saw your first post also, but forgot to make a note because I was in a "edit/post/copy from Photobucket/making a walk report chronological"-kind of modus :-)
        Liked your story about old Billy (Rest in peace) and the fact that you've actually worked in Oslo. Maybe you've mentioned it before, but I can't recall? So what was your profession then?

(Just got a message from the Postal Service that a package has arrived for me, so I got to go (I'm currently at my work pc). I know that package contain my new modem/router :-) ;-) )
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• PoloUK
          PoloUK commented
          Editing a comment
          I much prefer ships!!

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          Mark, it's not too late to change your profession to a ship-signaling-engineer, a.k.a. lighthouse technician!?! :-)

• PoloUK
          PoloUK commented
          Editing a comment
          Tommi - errrrrr - yes it is!!

Thank you for taking us with you on your walk. I recognized a lot of places from my last visit in 2007. As Celicilia i also like the tram passage - and the misty pictures. Up to now i knew such ones from San Francisco. What a nice coincidence, that you had this kind of weather!

As you can read in my "on tour" thread, the ships are booked for next year. As soon as work is slowing down end of next week, i will start to plan the road trip.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Couple more "detail shots" from our week-end in Oslo. First, a "map" over Oslo lower Karl Johan area made of old plastic stuff like yoghurt boxex, plastic spoons, knifes, forks and such.
          Hanging on the lobby wall of our hotel :-)

Then, a specially designed fan in Hard Rock Cafè on Karl Johan street
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

This will be Oslo: http://www.thelocal.no/20151019/oslo...-in-green-push
            Maybe, unless the right parties returns in the next election.

Comment

A few photos from Aker Brygge and Tjuvholmen from last week.

or the same place in the dark ...

A few more flats to choose from - decisions, decisions ...

The classic view back towards town. And perhaps if you can't choose the flat, there may be a little bit of plastic here you could spend your money on instead?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I hadn't had a proper walk around the redeveloped Tjuvholmen - once a very dodgy part of Oslo, now home to some very expensive real estate, The Thief hotel (or T(space)he Thief as their branding would have it), and the Astrup Fearnley museum of modern art. Didn't go in, but liked some of the detail on the outside.

By night ...

Rather nice gutter by day!

And the little man-made beach directly outside.

Quite a lot of sculpture on Tjuvholmen - each bit perhaps slightly odder than the last?

And fish-face.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for these pictures Mark. Aker Brygge is obviously a place to go when we stay in Oslo.

Some major gardening going on on one of the roof terraces back on Aker Brygge.

These guys ...

were moving these plants ...

Up here ...

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Whilst we were mixing with all the other beautiful people here ...

The Police horses came for a walk. I thought this made rather a lovely photo.

The horse on the left was 'a learner'!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• nari
                    nari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    On my very first visit to Norway in 1997, I came across two police officers on their beautifully groomed steeds just standing in the street, calmly. I had never seen this innocent style of surveillance before and it was an impressive welcome.....keeping in mind, it was my first European trip, and Scandinavia is the only place in Europe I have ever visited.

• PoloUK
                    PoloUK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Absolutely - it's something we're very used to in the UK cities, and almost take for granted, but it does make for a good impression. As in the photo, people are more inclined to interact to a policeman/woman on a horse, and they certainly talking with people as they made their way along.

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice horses.And VERY nice police.It must be a pleasure to be arrested!!!

Very nice picture tour of the new, redeveloped Oslo!

The weather seems to be working in your favour as well.

Thank you so much for sharing those memories.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Here is a nice pearl from the archives - Oslo as it once was a long time ago (1975), when things appears as having been a "simpler time".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZNQWuvDgdM

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Ralf__
                      Ralf__ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice to watch. And interesting to see winners and loosers so close together, now, as we know the results!!
                  Working...
                  X