Norway-Normandy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norway-Normandy

The links between Norway and Normandy exist since a long time and the university of Caen was the first in France to have a Nordic institute.From this platform,cultural events were developed like the BOREALES:each year during one week a scandinavian country is invited to present his artists.Painting,theatre,litterature,music cinema...An opportunity to discover the plastician Rune Guneriussen or the cineast Joachim Trier.And the very rich litterary production.Renberg,Flogstad,Radge,Harstad...
    So if you come to Caen in november you'll be almost at home...and could share a glass of burgundy wine with me!

Re: Norway-Normandy

Normandy is a place on my want-to-go list.... like many other pearls around the world.

I really like to see the beaches of Normandy, and what is left of the fortifications there.

Wine sounds like a nice thing too.... in great company even better!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hi,Pakarang.
      As you're interested by DDay beaches,I suggest you click on www.dday-overlord.com,in french and english as well.At the home page,click on Normandy to day.
      And for pictures of sea lover photographer Patrick Courault,another site:www.courault.org
      All the best.
      Yves

Comment

Thank you so very much Yves...

Bookmarked for later reading tonight!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Just a post to share my interest for a norwegian movie I saw yesterday night:Joachim Trier's "OSLO AUGUST 31 ST".
          Dispite his young age this guy is already a great director,having a fine knwoledge of cinema,his way of filming being connected with 60's new wave as well as the Vincent Gallo touch for instance.
          Intelligent, moving,deeply humane in the description of fragile characters,this filmis an occasion to ask ourselves how we can be helpful for somebody in wandering.
          Highly recommanded to art-house cinema lovers.
          Yves.

Comment

Ahh, the bonds between Norway and Normandy. I don't think they are as strong as they may should have been, in Aalesund especially.
            As I have been saying in earlier posts on CVF, the founder of Normandy originated from there, or more precisely, from the island of Giske, near Aalesund:

There is a statue of Rollon (Gange Rolf) in the park in Aalesund and, as far as I know it was a gift from the city of Rouen in Normandy:

A similar statue is supposed to be standing there. Maybe some of all our new members from the area can confirme that??

There is a bit of rivalry between the islands of Giske and Vigra, both claiming to be his birth place. Here is a stone erected in his honour on Vigra:

But the saga and accepted Norwegian history states that he was form Giske.

I found this article in French, which translate fairly well in Google:
            http://www.histoire-normandie.fr/rol...e-la-normandie

Last year was the 1100th anniversary of the treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte, which established the Duchy of Normandy. Did anybody in Aalesund or Giske notice???

Comment

Maybe some of all our new members from the area can confirme that??

Rollon's statue is still in the City Hall Garden of Rouen.Carved by Arsène Letellier in 1865,it was very damaged(it lost an arm),then refreshed in 2011 for the 1100 th aniversary.
              Alesund's one is a moulding from the original statue by Alphonse Guillaume given in 1911 to the birth place city of Rollon,for the 1000th commemoration.At the same time,another copy was sent to Fargo,North Dakota where we can see it still I guess.Why Fargo?No idea.

Comment

Here is maybe the shortest explenation of the history of Rollon.
                About the statue in Fargo, ND:
                Several persons explained, in English, French and Norwegian, the statue of the Norwegian Rollo across from the Sons of Norway Lodge in Fargo. (Rollo had much to do with the history of the French province of Normandy.) (The inscription on the statue in Fargo: “Rollon. Born 860 A.D. at More, Norway. Founded the Dukedom of Normandy 911. His line through William the Conqueror became the Royal House of England 1066 and of Norway 1905.”)
                Here is the statue in Fargo:

I can find no logical explanation why one of the two copies made of the original stone statue in Rouen should be sent to Fargo(????)

PS> Maybe this cast some light on the question??: http://heritagerenewal.org/stone/rollo.htm
                Last edited by ombugge; March 21st, 2012, 14:32.

Comment

PS> Maybe this cast some light on the question??: http://heritagerenewal.org/stone/rollo.htm[/QUOTE]

Thank you for having shared your research,Ombugge.
                  It appears clearly that the presence of Rollon's statue in Fargo is linked to the important Norwegian colony in Dakota and to the influence of S.O.N lodge there.In the same way we may believe that,as the leader of a new country,they considered Rollon as a symbol of successful emigration.
                  Could be interresting to consult the municipality archives of Rouen......If I get time.....

Comment

A USUAL SUNDAY WALK IN CABOURG(KNOWN AS BALBEC IN MARCEL PROUST'S NOVELS).

Grand Hotel.One of the place in IN SEARCH OF LOST TIME.

Comment

Gardens in front of the hotel

Frontage photo by the official photographer of the city.

Using Proust to sell goods!

Comment

I live in Caen but have a house in a tiny village in the PAYS D'AUGE where I spent the last week end.As Wherrygirl told me I MUST send photos of my trips (even in case of 30 km car drive).Then few pics. from Beuvron en Auge.

the field in front of my house

Comment

The Old Manor,xvth.

Details on the frontage

Comment

View of the main steet (the only one!).Traditional construction with timber framed houses,brick and slate.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X