Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Honningsvåg / Nordkapp

Splendid Mark,
    I like how you manage to catch the small town ordinary day details.
    Kystverket building is nice. I wonder from where that arctic tradition to paint buildings in bright colors comes from?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
      Splendid Mark,
      I like how you manage to catch the small town ordinary day details.
      Kystverket building is nice. I wonder from where that arctic tradition to paint buildings in bright colors comes from?
      Thanks Tommi. I don't know where the bright colours thing came from, but it doesn't half make the place look bright and interesting - in good weather!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

When it's School Holidays and there are no Hurtigruter in town to play in the lifts on, the youngsters have to turn to alternative sources of interest.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

But when the Cruise Ships and Coastal Steamers are in town, their occupants provide a constant source of interest. Perhaps cameras with optical viewfinders shouldn't be a thing of the past?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Visitors going on the King Crab safari - hunting crustaceans on the way out when the drivers go in a straight line to Sarnes, and hunting their breakfasts on the way back when they show off the turning ability of the RIBs.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
              When it's School Holidays and there are no Hurtigruter in town to play in the lifts on, the youngsters have to turn to alternative sources of interest.
              Let me guess, all kids bikes in Honningsvåg looks like those two?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                Let me guess, all kids bikes in Honningsvåg looks like those two?
                Oh yes!! And all kids will get equal blame for the behaviour of one or two causing mayhem on the Hurtigruter - when the vast majority of them were beautifully behaved!
                Last edited by PoloUK; July 10th, 2013, 23:36. Reason: Edited to make some sense - my original didn't!
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Besides the RIBs, another great source of income from the visitors are the Quad Bikes.

You don't want to get stuck in the tunnel behind them though!!
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

'Once upon a Dream' was looking good in the sunshine with its new splashes of colour. More about this here.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Ah - forgot I had this one - you remember I mentioned the RIB passengers trying to hang onto their breakfasts? This is why ...

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Shhh - you never know who may be listening.

Last edited by PoloUK; July 12th, 2013, 21:57.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

So the camera never lies? Look at the little model boat between Magnifica and the pier.

Apart from it's not a little model boat - it's one of the local 'sjark' fishing boats. Not much bigger though!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Not great photos, but these do show that there's a lot of work going on to extend the 'Molo' (mole, or sea wall) before the autumn storms arrive. The hope is to get the Hurtigrute in a few more days every year, and to make life easier for the Cruise Ships in some weathers.

The rock is coming from the far side of the fjord - alarming when you're not expecting them to be blasting - across in the stone barge which toddles across to the molo, loses a lot of weight very quickly, bobs up like a cork and then toddles back.

The JCB then paddles out and gets the stones where he wants them.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Brilliant “documentary” sequence of the mole-building operation, Mark. I really enjoyed that.

Comment

29th June this year. A stunning day, NN approaching the island, Molo-building operations in full swing, the Coastguard in town. Happy days!!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X