• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azimut
    replied
    Re: This is Honningsvåg / Nordkapp

Excellent pictures from HVG, PoloUK

The captain on "Albatros" is in this case one from Tromsø.
    One that I know from the past when we took the navigator education in Tromsø.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    Maybe the Captain was Norwegian and wanted to make sure that the "world" would know???
    Yes, ombugge, you are correct.

I remember we used to do this on the Royal Viking ships as well.... always on the balcony outside Captain's quarters, every port. And yes, the Captain was Norwegian, hence the Norwegian flag indicating a Norwegian Captain.

I guess, as the cruise ships were re-flagged to Bahamas, the Captain's no longer could play on the fact that they are Norwegian (Norwegian seamen were once known to be the "inventors" of cruising).

Only one other flag was flown in my early years from that flag-pole.... the city flag of Bergen. Because, the other captain wasn't from Norway, but Bergen.... I remember he got really upset once, when a passenger asked him why we are flying the Japanese flag off his balcony (the Bergen city flag, can look like the Japanese flag when there is a lack of wind).

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    I was thinking about asking you that same question...
    Here the strange way of flying a norwegian postal flag shows when she leaves Kristiansund in 2009. This time on the starboard side.
    It's ok to show the world that you love Norway, but if anywhere..., I thought there was strickt flag rules at sea.

Looking at Serkoder's picture this doesn't appear to be a "Postflag" at all. (No splits) I don't know what is in the centre of the cross, but maybe it can be seen on the original picture??

In any case; yes, there used to be strict rules for flags on ships and how and where they are flown. (I posted something on the subject somewhere)
    I assume that she was flying a normal Norwegian flag as a "flag of courtesy" in the normal place?

Maybe the Captain was Norwegian and wanted to make sure that the "world" would know???

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Maybe even the same trip? Mine was taken on the 24th June 2009. Peculiar though isn't it! How on earth did they get it, let alone fly the wrong one?

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

I was thinking about asking you that same question...
    Here the strange way of flying a norwegian postal flag shows when she leaves Kristiansund in 2009. This time on the starboard side.
    It's ok to show the world that you love Norway, but if anywhere..., I thought there was strickt flag rules at sea.

Last edited by Sterkoder; December 16th, 2011, 08:18.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

What is a Norwegian post flag doing "sticking out" at the side of the Albatross?????

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Back to Honningsvåg. One of the facts of H'våg life is the population of buses! Meeting every Hurtigruten and cruise ship arrival, this fleet ferries the visitors from the village to North Cape. With some of the bigger ships this is a merry-go-round of activity with bus after bus thundering past the flat. Others tours visit Gjesvær or the mainland, but quite simply where there's a ship, there'll be a few buses!! This is 2009, some of the fleet have got a bit smarter since then.

And this could be anywhere, apart from that magical light. Mrs PoloUK worries about me and taking pictures of chain, but I find the textures and colours mesmerising.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

Beautiful places up north, and beautiful images as well.... thank you so very much for taking the time to show them here.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Birdwatching Central - Gjesvær. A summer's evening, plenty of sun, but the wind whipping up the waves in the shelter of the harbour - and very difficult to hold the camera still.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

A couple away from the island - but only just - and very much within the Nordkapp world.

Firstly Sarnes - looking stunning in the sun. Looking across to Altsula and Lille Altsula.

And Repvåg - little while since this one floated, but rather a nice photographic subject.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
    That's naughty Ombugge!! Should imagine it took you a long time to stop giggling!!
    I'm still giggling, just remembering. Thanks for remaining me.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    He gave it a look, saw the spelling and trotted off down the street, looking for a Norwegian speaking telephone booth.
    That's naughty Ombugge!! Should imagine it took you a long time to stop giggling!!

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Your delightful story in post #41 remains me of something that happened in Aalesund some years ago, but the other way around.
    They had brought over one of the iconic old red Telephone booths from the UK, (you know, the ones with "TELEPHONE" in a wrought iron letters over the door) and set it up in the centre of town.

Somebody asked me where the nearest telephone booth was and I pointed at the one, but warned him that it was an English speaking booth.
    He gave it a look, saw the spelling and trotted off down the street, looking for a Norwegian speaking telephone booth.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Another Skarsvåg midnight sun shot. Nasty lens flare - but lets pretend it's arty!

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Originally posted by Tommi View Post

Every time I read this thread I always kind of get stuck to the "wet paint"-post.
    Trying to figure out what that bottom row on the paper sign says, and in some way missing pictures from the paint job itself.
    Ah - the 'wet paint' post (Post #25)! I find people's behaviour fun - it appears to be easier to read that sign when leaning on railings - painted yellow - the same yellow as on the sign - within the past two minutes!! The posts and railings get a little yellow, the girls get very yellow and some of the tourists get yellow whilst wishing they'd learnt a second language.

Perhaps there were added attractions for the painting crew which made catching the rope for the incoming arrival more interesting than painting things. Hello Sailor!

A couple of days later a very pleasant English couple came off Crown Princess, the lady was in a wheelchair. He wheeled her to the bow, and took what would have been a very good photo of her and the bow of the ship. I went over and asked if they'd like a photo of the two of them together in front of the ship - and they were very grateful. As they left I wished them a very happy stay for the rest of their day in Honningsvåg - and heard one of them say to the other as they toddled off: "Gosh, these Norwegians speak FANTASTIC English"!!
    Last edited by PoloUK; December 5th, 2011, 00:10.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X