Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagull
    replied

Our King Crab experience began with some they’d caught earlier, and a hands-on photo opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Here there are cottages and Lavvo tents.

Another group, on a longer excursion, were heading off into the fjord.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Taste the King Crab

On the last voyage of Nordstjernen, returning from Svalbard in August 2012, the ship visited Honningsvåg, and during the afternoon there was an excursion called “Taste the King Crab”.

A bus had been arranged and as I was sitting near the front I even managed to take a photo as it approached the tunnel beneath Honningsvågfjellet, before arriving at our destination, Sarnes.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Re: This is Honningsvåg / Nordkapp

This time the Arctic Princess is in Pilotage area as the Pilot boarded off H'vaag.
    Could it have something to do with the strike in the oil Industry. Is Melkoya affected??

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    Arctic Princess is anchoring in a bay just West of Honningsvaag just now.
    A similar size LNG Carrier, the Soyo is at anchor off Hammerfest.
    What is going on???

PS> The Soyo is probably more used to tropical waters, since it is named after the Offshore Supply Base in Northern Angola.
    They often spend extended periods of time moored off in the sound - I assume waiting for the next load. Usually 'Arctic' something or other.

Just as an example, here's an old Radio Nordkapp article from during the Pilot Boat Drivers' strike: http://www.radionordkapp.no/nyheter....=16590&katID=8
    Last edited by PoloUK; July 7th, 2012, 14:31.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Arctic Princess is anchoring in a bay just West of Honningsvaag just now.
    A similar size LNG Carrier, the Soyo is at anchor off Hammerfest.
    What is going on???

PS> The Soyo is probably more used to tropical waters, since it is named after the Offshore Supply Base in Northern Angola.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Looks like Honningsvaag is getting a bit different visitor today.
    The LNG Carrier Arctic Princess is heading in. ETA 0900 hrs. L/T:

She is a 150,000 Cbm. LNG Carrier: http://www.hoeghlng.com/shipping/fle...-Princess.aspx

That should be enough gas for the BBQs in Honningsvaag for the nearest 1000 years.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

This one from 2006 - just come across it! Polarlys has done the Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep - Beeep - Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep bit.

Ever wanted to shout "It's behind you!"? I also really like the long queue of fishermen on the side with the nice view of the Hurtigruten Quay, but not the Hurtigruten.

OK, I'll come clean - it's not as exciting as it looks, the Fishing Boat is on Kai 3, and Polarlys was swinging in behind her - but it made a fun photo!
    Last edited by PoloUK; March 12th, 2012, 00:27.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Of course Radio Nordkapp (www.radionordkapp.no) offers other delights - such as Radio Bingo. Great for learning the numbers in Norwegian!!
    Last edited by PoloUK; February 23rd, 2012, 22:13.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Just for completeness - this one's on the Finnmarken thread too, but a stunning view of Finnmarken's return to service - from Radio Nordkapp's fantastic webcams on the Repvåg Kraftlag building (www.nordkapp.tv).

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

A little while since we've added to this one, so one or two more.

The Hurtigruten isn't the only link to the outside world. The undersea tunnel connects Magerøya to the mainland, and Valan airport is served by Widerøe's Dash 8s. Pretty smart pilots, but then they get an awful lot of practice coming and going from some very short airstrips. Valan is close against the hills on one side, and protected by cliffs on another - end result is 100% windshear if the wind's coming from the wrong direction.

Best bet - take the boat or the tunnel to get to Honningsvåg, but walk down to the airport and enjoy the evening flight arrive and depart.

Nothing to do with the airport, but this one appeals to me too - a very well used postbox in town itself.

Last edited by PoloUK; February 23rd, 2012, 22:14.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

Nice new webcams... it'll be nice to use them during the cruise season this year.

PS: Hurtigruten is live right now!

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Some FANTASTIC new webcams from Radio Nordkapp:

http://nordkapp.tv/

The one from Repvåg Kraftlag in particular is stunning - especially in Full Screen mode.
    Last edited by PoloUK; January 31st, 2012, 14:46.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    I had a small laugh at that sign ... city map.... ! "giggle"
    All I can do is express no opinion, but post something from Wikipedia (so it must be true!!?)

"The status of Honningsvåg as a city is a point of contention between the inhabitants of Honningsvåg and Hammerfest which many foreigners may find strange, given the small size of both of these places. In Norwegian the word 'by' can mean both town and city and Norwegian does not distinguish between the terms in the same way as English or other languages do. The translation of the word into English is thus ambiguous and can be chosen as one sees fit. If both Hammerfest and Honningsvåg were to be defined according to British tradition, neither of them would be considered cities, as neither has a university or a cathedral. Both of them would, however, be considered towns, given the status of both settlements as economic hubs of the surrounding areas and the status as municipal centers."

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

I had a small laugh at that sign ... city map.... ! "giggle"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X