Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Operahuset – the Oslo Opera House

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    Great to see these photos here Eirik. I’m thinking I much prefer the original #43/4 to the /5 version by the way. To me 4 has much greater impact which is kind of distanced in 5 with the extra foreground, and the buildings/people/ship/sun at the sides. Love the vibrant colour in 4 too.

(Oh, when I wrote in the Oslo thread, I was thinking you’d not posted in this thread before …are there some photos got lost from #40?)
    I used a different hosting service for those pictures. It's primarily for hosting for use on another community I'm on, an was recently blocked for hotlinking to other sites due to abuse. I haven't bothered rehosting the pictures yet, that's why they're gone.

I had the color balance set to natural on my camera, which means they tend to come out slightly muted. I kind of liked muted colors for a while, could have something to do with me liking macro photography where accuracy is important. Now I seem to want my colors to be more punchy and saturated.

#43/4 (or 5) was very hard to get. As you can see it was taken almost straight into the sharp easter-time-sun. As my camera (Olympus Pen E-PL1) lacks a proper view finder, I had to compose that with the LCD screen (which is hopeless in bright sunlight) on the back while wearing polarized sunglasses. The lens is the Samyang 7,5mm f3,5 fisheye lens, which is fully manual as well. Not easy to get all this right when you're practically blind (no VF)... :P As I see I could have aligned the horizon much better, thus kept better control over the strong barrel distortion of the fisheye lens.
    Olympus user
    E-M1, E-M5
    w/ Lots of new and old (adapted lenses)...

Hurtigruten ships traveled on:
    MS Richard With, MS Nordnorge, MS Nordkapp, MS Nordlys, MS Finnmarken, MS Midnatsol (Both old and new)

Cruise ships traveled on:
    MS Sunbird, former RCI Song of America, now MS Louis Olympia (August 2002)
    MS Adventure of the Seas (October 2010)
    MS Vision of the Seas (June 2012)
    MS Enchantment of the Seas (October 2016)

Comment

Now some pictures from my OM-D...

First a shot from my first day with the new camera:

This was shot with the 7,5mm fisheye lens, horizon aligned and cropped in the corners to get rid of most of the distortion.

Now to a more sunny day:

The first shot is from the same spot withe the fisheye lens, also cropped. Fairly easy lens to use: Just stop it down to f8 or f11, and set the focus to just before infinity and everything from about 3 meters in front of you to infinity will be in focus.

Not with the fisheye lens, just the 12-50mm kit-lens and a circular polarizer.
      Olympus user
      E-M1, E-M5

MS Richard With, MS Nordnorge, MS Nordkapp, MS Nordlys, MS Finnmarken, MS Midnatsol (Both old and new)

Comment

Really very nice images of the Opera house in Oslo, Eirik!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          Really very nice images of the Opera house in Oslo, Eirik!
          Thank you captain...

I decided to try a little variation on the opera house theme. After having read a little bit about my new camera's low light capabilities, I had to try it out in low light conditions as well, could be a nice variation. All of these shots were taken hand held; no tripods, monopods, or any kind of supporting device other than my hands. Here are the results:

E-M5 + 12-50mm kit lens: ISO 2000 1/60s, 12mm, f3,5

E-M5 + 12-50mm kit lens: ISO 800, 1/10s, 12mm f3,5

E-M5 + Panasonic 20mm f1,7: ISO 400, 1/25s, 20mm f1,7

E-M5 + Panasonic 20mm f1,7: ISO 400, 1/20s, 20mm f1,7

These were also helped much by the E-M5's sensor based 5-axis image stabilization system...
          Last edited by Eirik; April 28th, 2012, 02:40.
          Olympus user
          E-M1, E-M5

Comment

Great new additions to the thread from your new camera Eirik. I actually don’t think I’ve seen any pictures of the Opera House at night before. I keep coming back to that view into the bridge too.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              Great new additions to the thread from your new camera Eirik. I actually don’t think I’ve seen any pictures of the Opera House at night before. I keep coming back to that view into the bridge too.
              Yes, I'm not entirely pleased with them though, so I might try again with some different angles later... Anyway, I have a couple more fisheye shots of the Opera House:

I particularly like this:
              Olympus user
              E-M1, E-M5

Comment

Last weekend in Oslo:

Greetings Doris

Comment

Doris

Comment

I really got to visit the Opera House some time... not only drive by it like I did 10-15 times last year (beacuse I couldn't find the way out of Oslo and all the road works labyrinth.... ).
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yes, I agree that the opera building itself has an iconic quality and has become one of Oslo's greatest tourist attractions....

...but the inside of the hall is a disappointment, dark and narrow, and with no sufficient space between the seat rows (less than normal space). The stage curtain is spectacular, but you don't go to the opera to look at the curtain. Fortunately, the hall has superb acoustics, and this makes it to a great venue for concerts as well as opera, 100 times better thant the notorius Oslo Konserthus. In the season of 2012/13 both Berliner Philharmoniker and Santa Cecilia Orchestra will visit the hall. So fortunately, I have had many great experiences in this hall, after all.

Last edited by Sigve; July 23rd, 2012, 07:17.
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---
                      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Thanks very much indeed for showing us the interior of the auditorium Sigve, and for your interesting impressions and comments. I have been to an opera in Copenhagen’s new Opera House, and also in Göteborg, but not Oslo’s.

It does seem smaller than I imagined…do you know the capacity? In Edinburgh, after many years of controversy and abandoned intentions, no new opera house was ever built, but an old music hall theatre…which by the early 60’s had become a Bingo hall!!!!!…was restored in 1994 and is called the Festival Theatre. The 1915 seat auditorium retains elements of the old style decor, while the glass frontage to the street and front of house facilities are modern style. The large stage and back stage areas are also well suited for ballet.
                        There is another large theatre in Edinburgh, The Playhouse, which is usually staging musicals and similar entertainment. Other smaller theatres stage plays, and a converted church recitals and chamber music, whilst the main venue for orchestral concerts is the Usher Hall (dating from 1914, and now capable of seating around 2900 people). Here the highest upper level, which many judge to have the very best acoustics, has extremely narrow spacing and leg room…but also the cheapest prices!

Comment

It does seem smaller than I imagined…do you know the capacity?
                          Yes, it looks very small and intimate, but nevertheless there are 1.300 seats. 1.000 would have been more correct in terms of space, but that is my private view. I have also been to the Royal Opera in Copenhagen, which has an auditorium that feels much more spacious.
                          Regards; Sigve.
                          ---
                          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Working...
                          X